Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #1  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Smile Turtles getting ready for summer #159

We are the Turtles Group here at 3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)
Old 06-12-2006, 09:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/192.6/160

Height: 5'7

Default Morning everyone!

Well went to W/I on Saturday morning and I was very surprised to find out I was down 2.4 lbs... accordingly to my scale at home I had not lost anything at all... DH was down another 4.4 so his total is at about 43 lbs... we both had a gain the week before so it was a pleasent W/I.

Rained here all weekend so we did not get any walking in and that it not good but it is sunny here today so we will try and catch up when I get off from work.

How was everyone's weekend?

Have to run but will check back in later on.

Susan
Old 06-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #3  
Martha

S/C/G: 265/246/150

Hi Judy and Susan!
I am new to the site, joined yesterday. Am doing WW at home. Congrats Susan for the loss. I like the turtle idea-- every diet fad that I tried that brought about fast results ended up losing but then regaining the weight and then some.
WW is really great because I can eat any type of food, and that helps me when I feel like I have to have chocolate- other diets I would feel like I failed, but with this, I just count it. I do have to figure out what to do when we go out of town and when we go over to friends houses to play cards- most all the snacks are high fat and there is alcohol- my willpower falters at those times. Any suggestions?
Have a great day!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar069...5/150/251/.png
Old 06-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #4  

Default Welcome Marthabarsfield

Hi Martha,

When we go to a cook out or a friends house for a pitch in or something like that I always make a dish or two that I can take along to share that is also plan friendly... also if you tell the folks that you are watching what you eat you may be surprised and either you will see healthier food prepared or you may get a call from the hostess asking what you can eat... when we go out to eat with friends I hop on the internet and look up the resturant that we are going to and my husband and I pick our menu before we even get there... This avoids any problems and we can basically sit back and enjoy the evening

Hope this helps!
Susan
Old 06-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #5  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Martha to you! Glad you've joined in. Lots of us here have a similar problem that you mentioned about being out of town socially and/or social events. As far as going to play cards, I'd be tempted to bring a small amount of raw veggies and a dip or homemade low cal hummus. It's fun to play cards and munch and I'm with you that the high caloric high sugar high fat snacks play havoc with losing weight. I'd skip the alcoholic beverages and go for a virgin Mary--mostly tomato juice.
Hey, anybody else have some good ideas? How about Laughing Cow wedges, raw veggies or water biscuits(which are surprisingly low in calories). Good luck with WW and much success to you!

Princess, you are amazing! Weigh to go on your weight loss this week and congrats to your dh as well. You two are dynamite. :

I'm having a much better day today and keep on telling myself that it's time to do this. Wish me luck.
Judy
Old 06-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #6  

Good morning Turtles! I am back from my trip (what a long, flat, straight drive that is!) and rarin' to go with this trip again.

I managed to stay exactly the same over my trip! It worked out really well, actually, carrying the bars and the nuts and the dried fruit. I didn't manage to get exercise in, only three miles one night. I completely understand, now, why (I'm not trying to be offensive here at all) people in other parts of the country are not as fit as in this part of the country. It was SOOOOO hot and muggy! I could barely move...ugh! It was high 90s-100 and humid, with a wind blowing that would take your breath away and dry you out in a heartbeat. I like exercise, but I could barely move. It was like trying to swim through the air...bleh! I completely understand, now. I wouldn't want to exercise when the weather was like that, either!

to the group, Martha. Just jump on in, we're always happy to have new turtles with us on this journey.

Princess, you're just going gangbusters! I'm so impressed. Your focus and your drive are really inspirational.

Judy, I wish you all the best luck in the world. All this is about is a long string of good days, right? You're doing great!

Other Turtles, check in and let us know how you're doing!
Old 06-13-2006, 02:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi everyone & welcome, Martha. This is a great group & I am sure you will enjoy joining us.

Tonight I have 50th bd dinner for bf - he wants to go to Mandarin (which is huge Chinese buffet) so that will be a challenge. His party is on 24th at his house & I am planning the food, so there will be some point-friendly dishes as well.

Anyway, hi & have a good day. Bye for now.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:38 AM   #8  

Default Happy Wednesday!

Morning all!

Martha: How is it going so far for you?

Mousie: Welcome home. I understand what you are saying about the hot humid weather... I lived in Florida for about 10 months and then headed back up north... I also spent some time in Texas and oh boy those folks must be just about the strongest humans on earth cause it is just so hot down there this time of year... I don't know how they stand it either.

Judy: Great munchie ideas! How are you doing?

Bandit: How did the BF's 50th birthday dinner at the Mandarin go? Did you all have a good time? I sure hope so... nothing like a birthday celebration to cut loose and have some fun

Have to run, have a happy day all!
Susan
Old 06-14-2006, 11:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi everyone:

Susan - yes, we had a great time but ate way too much. They brought him a piece of cake with candle & took his picture in a magnet frame for keepsake & everyone sang hb so it was really nice.

This week is really busy - tonight gf coming over & we are shopping for bf gifts for 24th then having quick dinner at place with lots of great salads then tomorrow I have movies with bf, then Fri/Sat going to trailer. Sunday will be catch-up day at home (cutting grass/hedge/laundry etc) Then next week will be getting ready for 24th pool/bbq bd party. So, lots of running around & organizing things.

Hope everyone is having a great OP day. Bye for now.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #10  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
You guys are the best! I find so much inspiration here and I know that if things get tough for me, this is a good spot for support.

Hey, last night I went to an interesting author night at a local library. The author, William Alexander, wrote a book called "THe $64 Tomato". It is very entertaining and so was he. You might like to check it out. But afterward, I gained a lot of insight into eating. My cousin who is 50ish and thin and her daughter who is very thin and beautiful both declined a late snack at my aunt's house because "they weren't hungry." Now guys--they eat salads and Boca burgers and grilled chicken and stuff like that and they are very in touch with their appetites. Wow,, what a concept! I think it's just beginning to dawn on me that I may have to be slightly hungry now and then.
In any case, even though I was hungry, I didn't eat since I had had a small portion of steak and carrots and tomatoes before I went to the event. Arriving home, I had a bowl of shredded wheat and a banana and then went to bed. This, believe it or not, is a triumph for me. I actually hate being hungry==I don't want to go so far as to say I fear it, but the emotions are right there. It's always good to get insights into myself and try to figure out this complicated stuff. In the meantime I am doing well and putting the days together like Mousie says!

Mousie, congrats on staaying the same--and yes, humidity is tough when mixed with exercise. Our NY summers are hot and winters cold, but it's okay.
I just have to deal with it.

Bandit, good luck with your birthday party plans--keep on keepin' on!

Martha, let us know what's up. Good luck!

Princess, keep on reminding me about pre-planning dinner from internet menus before going out. A great

Love and good vibes,
Judy
Old 06-15-2006, 01:51 AM   #11  

Bandit, it sounds like the party was fun. And it sounds like you have some challenges ahead of you. Considering the way you've dealt with challenges in the past, I'd say you're right on track to deal with them effectively.

Judy, it sounds like you're putting a lot of effort into understanding yourself and addressing your personal issues. Fear of hunger is a rough one. I remember, a long time ago, we were talking about the Geneen Roth/eating on demand idea (that is, waiting until you get hungry, and then eating just enough for the hunger to go away), and you mentioned that the idea made you uncomfortable because you were afraid of not eating enough. I thought it was an interesting observation at the time, and the thought has stayed with me. Is it possible that, on a more global perspective, you don't trust your body? I think very few people who are or ever have been overweight really trust their bodies--why should they? What evidence do they have that their bodies can take care of themselves? For me, I trust my body on most levels except weight/hunger/satiety regulation. I understand how most of the body works, but since this issue is colored by emotions, there's a whole other dimension to it that isn't really "understood".

Anyway! I unexpected found myself in the operating room today around 1:00 (I'm fine, it was a minor procedure and over in 5 minutes but it needed to be done under sedation). I had dinner last night, but I've had nothing today. You can't eat before going under anesthesia of any description, no matter how mild. So no breakfast, and then no lunch, and it was 4:30 before my hubby got me home. I went right to bed and have been up briefly since. It's almost 11pm and I've had just shy of a liter of water so far. (And I tried to heave it up, too!) I'm not feeling too terribly inclined to try food of any description, though the logical side of my brain accepts that food may well help with the woozy-head feeling. My stomach, though, does NOT feel like it wants anything right now, and I'm more inclined to trust it (on this occasion).

Take care, Turtles, I'll check back later. You're all doing great!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:27 AM   #12  

Default Morning all!

Just stopping by to check up on the Turtle gang

Mousie: Operation? Is everything ok? Have you been able to eat yet? Maybe the good old standby of a cracker may help your tummy... Best wishes for a very speedy recovery and I hope that all is well... loved your thoughts on the "afraid to eat" thing... you sound like you have thought thru a lot of things about you and your life... wonderful!

Judy: Great thoughts! I tend to have a habitual personality anyway so I try and tell myself not to eat too much that there is always more later on if I am still hungry... obviously it has not worked well for me but I still try .
You are doing great just thinking about how those things relate to you and how you can benefit from them... way to go!
Pre-Planning eating out rocks! I can not stress it enough for all WW... we don't even sweat it out anymore but then again we don't eat out much at all... I enjoy cooking and I think it is way easier on the budget to eat home as much as we can but when we do go out the pre-planning makes it so easy and you don't even feel tempted because you all ready have it set in your mind what you are going to eat and we always leave enough points for some kind of treat or dessert to really feel like it was a special evening.

Bandit: Boy you are busy! Good luck with the B-Day prep... I am sure that you all will have a blast. The dinner out sounds like you all have a wonderful time!

Well I am really keeping my fingers crossed that this may just be the weekend W/I that I hit my 10% goal... boy I hope so but it is a really loofty wish since I think that would mean that I would have to lose like 3.6 lbs and I never loose that much but you never know.... IT COULD HAPPEN!

Have to run but have a great day everyone!
Susan
Old 06-15-2006, 11:50 AM   #13  
Martha

S/C/G: 265/246/150

Hi everyone!
I didn't get a chance to post yesterday; busy day. I have done very well this week so far. I have stayed within points. Tomorrow I am meeting my husband for lunch at a mexican restaraunt- I thought I would do the chicken fajitas they are good and not quite as many points as the other dishes.

Mousie: sorry to hear that you had to have an operation- hope you are feeling better.
Judy: great observation- I think growing up, my mom always had meals on the table at certain times and now I feel that if it is 12, I need to eat lunch,even if I am not hungry. Internal programming I guess. It is definitely something to pay attention to. My downfall is sitting in front of the tv and just munching to be munching-- not because I'm hungry, just because it's there.
Susan: I have my fingers crossed for you also in reaching that 10% this weekend.
Bandit:Hope your week is going well; often I will tend to overeat when I am that busy and planning things. My husband says I am a control freak and perfectionist; so when I am planning something I stress to make sure it is perfect. I am working on that though... just to relax and let things happen.

Good luck to everyone! Here's to seeing less of us each day!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar069...5/150/246/.png

Martha
Old 06-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #14  

Martha--I couldn't live without Mexican food! I live in San Diego, and Mexican food is an almost daily part of my diet. Picking chicken fajitas sounds like a good idea. Have you ever tried shrimp fajitas? I don't know if they have them in Georgia, hmm. But they're low in points, if you can find them. (Dunno exactly how low, since every place is different, but shrimp are low in points, and if you don't go nuts on cheese and oil...)

I had the great gift of being raised by parents who did NOT insist we cleaned our plates. We had to sit at the table as a family, and we couldn't get up from the table until we were excused, but getting up from the table was NOT contingent upon how much we ate. If we weren't hungry, we didn't have to eat. And my hunger has always been in the morning, so I've never been challenged by evening snacking. Oftentimes I'll have something very very small for dinner--protein pudding, or a high-fiber tortilla with a bit of cheese, or an apple and peanut butter. Of course, I go to bed early, so not being up at 11pm may help too!

The 'surgery' was to remove my IUD and re-seat another one, so it was really not a very intense thing. No scalpels involved! Last time I had it done, though, I had a very strong pain response, and the IUD had slipped out of position as a result. So my doctor wanted to do it under sedation, to make SURE my body was okay with it. And it was, and I'm fine now. I slept the night, and now I feel like I've shaken off the sedation and I'm back to normal. I had some breakfast this morning, even. My weight was really really low (4.5 pounds less than it was 10 days ago!) but I'm thinking I am probably dehydrated, so I'll wait til tomorrow to see what I am "officially".

I hope everyone else is doing well, and I'll check back later!
Old 06-16-2006, 08:27 AM   #15  
Chick

H;i Turtles,
Mousie, glad to hear your procedure is done and you're feeling better. Yes, anesthesia is a toughie. I love what you said about trusting our bodies and I have to really think about all this. Thanks so much for your insight. And I hope some of that weight lost is true weight loss! :

Martha, I have a gut feeling that lots of us who wish to lose weight are perfectionists. You're so smart to think this through. I'm so glad you are having a good first week and staying within your points allowance. The first week can be tricky because there is the whole concept of calculating points, etc. But once you get the points down, the whole process becomes much easier.

Princess, Oh I hope you make your 10% this week! That would be fabulous.
You are so dedicated and have lots of good ideas. I love that you've figured out a way to exercise and improve food intake. Lots of people do one or the other.

Bandit, for your boyfriend. I know it's a little late, but it's still fun to see this smilie come up. Enjoy your weekend.

Gals, I've gotta run. Had a small triumph yesterday. I belong to a book club and as we were finishing up, one of the girls brought up a topic that really bothered me the last time she brought it up. I thought about it for 3 days! (It was about our old boss/witch). Well, this time, I protected myself by excusing myself from lunch/mtg. and went about my day without those toxic thoughts in my head. Great for my emotional well-being! It helped to keep me focused on the way I want to live my life and the way I want to eat. crazy, but true!
Now I'm going shopping for food for the weekend. My whole family will be here and I expect it to be wonderful. We'll have three grandkids under the age of 5, and various in-laws and dds and ds. Wow! I can't wait. I've already gotten a lot of housework done and now I'll shop. In my grocery basket will be lots of nibblers I can eat without a problem as well as some of the other stuff. And yes, Mousie, I promise to leave the other stuff. If I get overwhelmed, I'm heading for water to drink!!
Have a wonderful weekend everybody.
Love,
Judy
Closed Thread