Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Question Symmetry Question

I was wondering if any of you have been doing any extra work on one side of your body to appear more symmetrical. Yesterday, I happened to be alone in the locker room where there are huge mirrors on the walls, so I started doing some body building poses (just being silly) and noticed that my arms aren't the same size. I'm right handed, so it makes sense that my right side would be stronger. They're not freakishly different sizes, but when I flex, you can tell that the muscles in my right arm are larger and more defined than those in my left arm.

So, I figure that I should do extra reps for my left arm (to build up my bicep especially). My question is: how many more reps would be appropriate? Should I do twice as many? 50% more? Or am I better off doing the same number of reps as my right arm, but using a heavier weight? I would appreciate any experience or input you can offer.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #2  
Mel

How long have you been lifting? I find that symmetry problems are usually resolved within 10-12 weeks unless someone is involved in a unilateral sport (tennis, pitching, etc) or has a spinal cord injury.

I'd stay with the same weights and the same number of reps. Pick a weight that you can just finish your last set with your stronger arm. Give your weaker arm a little "help" when you need it. Stick with dumbbells and cables, do each arm seperately. I think you'll even out pretty well.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

I've been lifting consistently since January (intermittently before then). I was fencing for a while (had to give it up because it wasn't working with my schedule) so that could possibly account for some of the difference; all the bladework was with my right arm while my left would just lay limp behind me.

So, for the most part, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I've been doing half my reps with arms together and the second half individually, so I can just make sure I'm working them separately the whole time from now on.

I know my muscles are developing slowly, but I just wanted to pose the question just in case it ended up becoming a larger problem later. I had some male body-building friends in college and I remember that one of the categories they were critiqued on was symmetry. I'm not exactly planning on competing, but I'd like to lift as if I am. Especially now that I'm getting even closer to my goal weight, my focus has shifted a bit from "getting the fat off" to "putting the muscle on." Lifting is the only part of my workout that I actually enjoy, whereas cardio is more like a necessary evil.

Thanks for the advice, Mel.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #4  

I doubt too many non-lifters are anywhere near symmetrical. Maybe some ambidextrous people, but anyone who favors a hand will develop asymmetries.

Even though I lift, my right arm is a good 1/4-1/2" bigger than my left, and my left hand has only 90% of the gripping strength of my right (as measured on a dynomometer). Most untrained people are even further out of whack.

I bet few casual observers would even notice the differences in your arm sizes, and as Mel said, the gap between them will probably narrow quickly.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote