Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

Question Help for my mom

Hi everyone!

I was hoping that maybe I could get some information about some exercises my mom could do. She's trying really hard with her diet to lose weight, and that alone just isn't working. I know some exercise will help, but it's tricky.

She's 47 and definitely wants, and has been working very diligently, to live a healthier lifestyle. Though I haven't asked her specifically how much weight she would like to lose, it's probably around 80 pounds.

The major obstacle for her exercising is her feet. Something is really wrong with them, and no doctor has been able to figure out what. She says it feels like a pinched nerve, and just walking around her office during the day has her feet aching by the time she gets home.

Are there any exercises that wouldn't require her to put too much pressure on her feet? Walking is definitely out. Exercises that wouldn't require her to remain standing for long periods of time. Does anybody have any ideas that I could suggest to her?

I really appreciate the advice! She's trying so hard, I just don't want her to get discouraged
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #2  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

You might want to check out:

www.CollageVidio.com

They have some specialty workouts like "Chair Dancing through the Decades" "More sit down and tone up" "The Sit and be Fit Series" I have no personal experience with any of these dvds, but I believe you can preview a portion of each video at the site.

Good luck
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:02 AM   #3  
Meg

How about a recumbent exercise bike?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

How about a recumbant bike? Although that would require an investment, but you could also get a trial gym membership at a local gym or maybe community center and see how she likes it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 7"

Amber -- you're the kind of kid that every mom wishes for! It's nice of you to care.

For suggestions - your mom might want to consider the kinds of exercises that many of us with bad knees and other leg problems use - anything done in the water is really good, since it takes the weight off our knees and feet, but provides a lot of resistance against the entire body. I do water aerobics, water jogging, and I swim laps.

If that doesn't fit into your mom's lifestyle, I do some beginner pilates tapes. At least one of them contains only exercises done sitting on a mat. I also do silver yoga, which involves only stretches and such, made easier for those of us with limited mobility.

Also, an exercise ball can be really fun to bounce on while watching TV!

Hope this helps.

Sue
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good ideas already! I just wanted to chip in and say ... you're a good kid!
Birkenstocks and good walking shoes!
I'll be 46 in September and have/had old nurses feet. They are sooo much better since I've relieved them of some of the weight they used to carry.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

Thank you everyone for your great advise! I'll make sure I pass on the information! !
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote