Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:29 PM   #1  

Default WW online worth it?

I was wondering if anybody has paid for the WW online and wondering if its worth the money. I did not join Weight Watchers, but I am trying to follow it on my own at home to get the last of my weight off. I have the books from previous years and I still have my slider. I was thinking about paying for the online service. Any advice would be great
Old 06-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #2  

Many people like it, so it's really about what works for you. But here's my opinion: It is NOT worth the money if you already have all the stuff. Here's why....

I feel they should give you a slider. I find the online calculator great if you are in front of a computer while cooking dinner. Mine was in my office. I'd have to run in the office and sure a laptop would have helped, but what about a grocery store? Can't drag my laptop through the store and check online how many points are in one brand versus another.

The online food tracker is ok. But again you are tied to the computer. The printable version sucks. It doesn't compare to the one you get in the meetings. I amde my own in excel, and though not as nice as the one from the meetings it was MUCH better than the online printable one.

The recipe builder sucks. It's not that accurate as it caps fiber at 4 grams per RECIPE, not per SERVING...unless they have fixed that in the last coupleof years. Master cook is $15 on ebay. You can easy add a recipe and calculate the points fairly accuratley from the nurtional information.

Most of the articles and stuff on WW.com are FREE...so no need to have the online membership to read all the great advice and inspiring success stories.

There are MILLIONS of WW recipes online for FREE, many many of which are on this site! So again no need to pay $20-$30 a month for the ones on WW.com.

I and many otehrs have found the WW boards to be very rude and unfriendly. Not everyone has had this experience though.

I have done meetings, online, and on my own. I prefer the meetings, but if they aren't an option and you have access to teh materials, then the WW online really isn't worth the money.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/195/150

I am just starting out on WW and I love having it online. I have a comp at home and at work so it works for me. I don't have time for meetings with a newborn so I find having all the resources I need at my fingertips worth it.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #4  

Height: 5'3

I do online because I don't live in the States right now and I like it a lot. What someone else said is true that some of the articles are free already but then there are some features you only get when you subscribe. personally I like the Online Tracker and the Recipe Builder and they work fine for me. If you do not have access to the computer you can write things down in a Diary (with subscription to online you have an online store to buy WW products from) and if you need to calculate points you could always get a points calculator if you need. Also I do believe you can buy things still at WW meeting locations. But I think it is all about what works best for you. For me I like WW online.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:51 PM   #5  

I agree with Misty sept I have the Mastercook 9.0 software and put in all my recipes and have the slider and figured out the pts and most of my friends that use the recipe builder their pts on their recipes are wrong..the message boards on WW etc is free...I find tons of recipes on the recipe review boards as well as Food Talk. So to me if you already know how to do it ..it may not be worth it to you xoxo Red
Old 06-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/139/140

I have to totally agree with Misty. Very well said.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #7  

Thanks for everyones advice. I probably will get off my butt and just join and go every week to a meeting. I have meetings around me, I was just wondering what route I should take. Thanks alot, your advice and support means alot
Old 06-17-2006, 07:34 AM   #8  

I think with all the money WW makes it really should do some market research and and improve thier online service. They seem slow to catch up to technology. It took them YEARS to develop a journal and calculator for a PDA, but then they pulled it from the market I think. But obviously people wanted it b/c they were creating them and downloading them all over the internet until WW shut that down (for obvious copyright reasons). But they should have taken that clue and ran with it.

So far the electronic calculators they have put on the market are functional to a degree, but they could be sooo much better.

When I did WW online and clicked on the store or shop tab, I did not see where I could buy paper journals, calculators, books (except a few cookbooks and books by Sarah Ferguson) ect. All I ended up with was ads and stuff for other sponsors like Mr. Clean. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place, or maybe they have changed it since then.

But I would think something as basic as the recipe builder should be accurate. I did WW online fo rteh first time in 1999 or 2000...you'd think they would have fixed it by now. One would hope that the printable journal would include a place to mark off flex points. They are so worried about someone "stealing" thier copyrights that they are missing out on some great opportunities to generate more sales and help more people. Today's world is fast paced, full of busy peole plugged into technology in order to quickly meet all the demands of life. WW should embrace this and provide an outstanding service, one that can't be duplicated pretty much for free with other resources. It is after all a bussiness! Why wouldn't they want to make it better in order to generate more customers?
Old 06-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #9  
1dayatatime(on LAWL)

S/C/G: 262/182/160

I am going to try weight watchers with my husband for a few weeks.I have been doing LA weight loss and I am getting bord with the routine of it.On the WW website theye have WW at home.It is 100 dollars and they send all the stuff to you.You can pay in 3 installments.Has anyone done this????
Closed Thread