Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/189/150

Question new poster - would love some advice

Hi everybody. This is my first time posting at 3FC. I read the new book and loved it and would love some suggestions on where I go from here. I was always "shapely" growing up, not skinny but definitely not fat. I had 4 pregnancies after getting married at age 28 and that is when I went from about 135 to 200 pounds at 5'6". My highest weight was 220 this January and I've done weight watchers and I'm down to 187. My problem is that I have stopped losing for the past several months. I think WW with all of the activity points and flex points may be too much food to take me down to the next level. I exercise faithfully for half an hour almost every day on the treadmill. I really have difficulty adding to this, I'd rather lower my weight through my diet. I don't know where to go from here. I like freedom of choice so I thought I could stay on WW but go down to 22 points and no flex or AP. I've thought about counting calories on a low fat diet. Maybe 1200, or 1500? I've also considered TOPS- or an exchange system diet- but it seems that I'd like to exchange some of the proteins for breads in order to stay on it faithfully and I don't know if that is OK. I'm very motivated to continue to lose weight, but I'm very confused on how to approach it. I know that I need to find a method that works, even if it is slowly, that I can live with forever. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Has anyone had a similar experience? I'd live to hear from you. Thanks.
remickmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It sounds like you are looking for a plan - have you thought about maintenance? What are you going to do when you reach your goal weight? Any of the things you mentioned - weight watchers, low fat diet, TOPS, etc - can you stick to any of that long term?

What worked for me was determining a healthy way of eating that matched the foods I liked and my lifestyle - something that I could do forever. I reduced processed foods, made sure I ate 5+ servings of vegetables a day, aimed for over 100 grams of protein a day and food journaled everything. I didn't want to be overly restrictive with calories, in the past that just made me binge, so I stayed at around 1600.

I lost 68 lbs over a year ago and I'm still doing all of those things (except I allow more calories a day).

Think long term, losing weight is only part of the battle. Good luck!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/189/150

Thanks for responding. Yes, I definitely am looking for a plan. I looked at your fitday. I like the kinds of foods that you eat. But I definitely would like some general guidelines that I follow each day. I just do not know how to design a plan.
remickmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

My general guidelines:
  • No fast food
  • No sugary soda
  • No packaged baked goods
  • Reduce alcohol
  • Reduce fried foods
  • Reduce home made baked goods
  • Eat 5+ servings of vegetables
  • Eat 2+ servings of fruit
  • Try to eat lean protein at every meal (goal of 100+ grams a day)
  • Eat enough healthy fat every day (olive oil, avocado, salmon, nuts/nut butters) - try for 30% of daily calories from healthy fat
  • Stay accountable - it's helpful if I know I have to write it down later
  • Plan for healthy meals - menu plan on Sunday, buy the food for the week, follow through with healthy eating, never be without a healthy meal option
  • Be informed - make restaurant decisions before I get to the restaurant so I'm not tempted by things that are really bad for me (Fettucini Alfredo, Kung Pao chicken)
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I'm just going to comment on the exercise for now...

If you're doing the same thing everyday, not only is your body adjusting to that routine, which could be slowing down your loss, but you may also find yourself eventually getting bored with it and giving up. Try riding a bike some days, lifting weights others, etc. Mix it up a bit and concentrate on different muscle groups.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I'll add to the whole weight lifting idea -- it can be daunting at first but it is definitely something that seems to help me lose weight and feel better and stronger. The "ladies (and gents) who lift" forum over in the "exercise" area is great to get started learning!

And if you're concerned about pricy gym memberships or home equipment, there are lots of cheap things you can do at home with stuff you already have. It's easy to buy a thera-band and then fit in a few exercises each day to get started!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote