General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #1  

Default What Are YOUR Tips For Organization...

I just spent the week (yes a whole week) going through my magazines to help clear clutter and organize them, and i'm so proud of myself and i feel like clutter is much more controlled. now i feel like i need some new tips to help me organize. so, let's share our organizational tips!

here's my tip:
for magazines-
  • when you read a magazine, be armed with scissors and a pen.
  • when you see an interesting article, cut out the page, and put it into clear page protectors (this will keep the pages nice, and if it's a recipe, it will protect the paper when you are cooking
  • assign each binder a category (recipes, decorating ideas, beauty, exercise, general tips)
  • put the pages in the correct binder. that way instead of taking up space with magazines, you have the pages you need, and you don't have to dig.
  • if you see an interesting website, write it down on a pad of paper, when you get a chance, take the pad of paper and transfer the websites to your bookmarks, or just a word document
  • then, organize the bookmarks accordingly (my next project).
Old 06-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #2  
Cani Princess

flylady.com! My sister (Suzie Homemaker, LOL) suggested it to me and I'm just starting out...everything is totally free and it has so much good advice
Old 06-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #3  

yeah, i've checked out that site. i live in a condo, so a lot of her stuff is a bit too much for me, but it's a fun site to look over.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #4  

My best tip for organization is don't let me anywhere near your house.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #5  

Quote:
My best tip for organization is don't let me anywhere near your house.
Here, here!!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 272.5/266.5/135

Height: 5'6"

I think FlyLady works great....even in small spaces. My DH and I lived in an apartment for a year.....and without FlyLady (about 2 or 3 months) the place was hard to get organized, but after finding FlyLady it was absolutely wonderful. I just had to adapt some of the missions and what not to fit my house.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #7  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I am younge still, only 20 and a bit of a pack rat! yes... I save EVERYTHING or used to. I moved for the first time in 10 years at the beginning of the year. My tips for organization:

THROW IT AWAY

When I moved I just opened draws and dumped them right into the garbage. My mom went threw the bags later and was like "WHY DID YOU THROW THIS AWAY? AND THIS?" and it just came down to "what I am REALLY going to do with that?"

I still tend to keep weird stuff laying around our new place but I think I am slowly getting better... I think we are moving again soon so time for more stuff to get thrown away. Unforuntally this time our place with have a lot more storage haha
Old 06-02-2006, 01:46 PM   #8  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

My basic organizational motto is:

If it isn't seasonal and you haven't used it in 6 months, throw it out or give it away.

I go through this process two or three times a year, and the amount of things I own has slowly wittled down to almost nothing. I've come to realize that there are very few things that I own that I really want to hold on to. Pictures (even those, I've thrown many away that have lost their meaning), a few pieces of clothing, my computer things, my books (I only have about 20 of them), my digital piano, and a few other odds and ends. Seeing as I plan to move later this year, I think it'll help me out a lot.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #9  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy
flylady.com! My sister (Suzie Homemaker, LOL) suggested it to me and I'm just starting out...everything is totally free and it has so much good advice
Great website! Thanks for the link!
Old 06-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #10  

Thumbs up

I agree with Courtnie! Toss it!! If you haven't used it in a year, it goes. I am preparing to move soon and boy, what an eye-opener. I didn't realize how much junk was in my basement!

Now I follow the toss it plan daily----any mail that is not vital goes in the trash right away. Not sitting on the pile on the kitchen counter in case I might want to read it. How many credit card offers do I really need to read LOL? (CC offers go in the shredder actually).
Old 06-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #11  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

These are some great tips!

My one contribution would be to have set date ranges for cleaning. I'm talking the once or twice a year deep cleaning. Mark them on the calendar.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #12  

For me......

I stopped buying magazines...when I need recipies or want to research something I google it. I save magazine reading for waiting rooms when I go for appointments and it has been working for me.

I have also started throwing things away and it helps alot. I started scrapbooking, so now instead of saving my girls crafts I put them on the fridge and put her in the pic, take a pic and then I can get rid of it....instead of saving outfits my kids wore.......I scrapbook them in it......you get the idea.

I have a large plastic garbage can lined in my garage....one on each side of the door........bottle recycling goes in one and paper recycling goes into the other right away.

I have gotten better with the organizing of things......now I need to work on staying on top of all the jobs I need to do.....it is an ongoing journey. Balance is always my challenge.

L
Old 06-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #13  

great tips ladies. keep them coming.

now, if only i could get my bf to organize HIS papers. i mean, i'm OFFERING to set up a file system for him so i don't have to see the cell phone bill since 2000.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #14  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

My Best Avice: START! You won't get organized if you never begin! Although I'm still not doing very well at it... another tip... if you haven't used it in over a year or two....get rid of it! It's only cluttering your house!
Closed Thread