WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 12:00 AM   #1  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Default Pointing Marinades?!?

How Exactly do you treat "Marinades" in-so-far-as "pointing" the end result....here's an example of a totally "DELISH" recipe I have:...(unfortunately I have no reference as how to point the end result)
so how many points do ya think?

Devlishly GOOD Chicken Breasts

1-1/2 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5 tbsps. Balsamic Vinegar
4 tbsps. Light BEER
2 tbsps. grated Romano Cheese
2 tbsps. Parsley
2 tsps. Salt
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
2 tsp. Minced Onion
1 tsp. Black Pepper
1 tsp. Oregano
3-1/2 lbs. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (7-Cool

Marinate & Refrigerate x 2 days OR FREEZE.

If marinating x 2 days....then BBQ x 10 minutes on hot,hot high heat...WATCH UP FOR FLARE UPS!!!!

From Frozen state...pull out in morning & let unthaw on counter all day long, then proceed with BBQ x 10 minutes on hot, hot high heat...WATCH OUT FOR FLARE UPS!!!

HAVE THAT SQUIRT BOTTLE OF WATER CLOSE ON HAND ~ I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

Sincerely,

Sassy
Old 05-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Well the ingredients for just the marinade is:

2971 calories/328 fat grams/2 fiber grams

So what you can do is measure how much before you put in the chicken and how much after and then divide between the number of pieces of meat and then figure point.

Personally you don't need that much oil in a marinade...at least in my opinion.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

BTW to do it you just list the cal/fat/fiber for each ingredient and total it up as in any recipe,then divide by the number of servings and figure points...but with marinades you may want to measure both before and after to see how much is actually used per serving.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Ooh that's tough. You can't even just measure the marinade when you're done, to see how much is left (and therefore how much "stuck" to the meat), because the meat may leave some of it's own liquid behind.

If you eliminate all of the olive oil, or only use a couple tablespoons, and maybe even increase the light beer, you will still have much of the same flavor, and probably at most an added point or two. Instead of using olive oil, you might spray the marinated meat with olive oil cooking spray, or use the cooking spray to cook the meat in?
Old 05-29-2006, 11:53 AM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

Colleen, There won't be that much 'left over' juices from the meat (unless it is frozen then there will)....I've done this a lot and you don't have to be 'exact' it will be close enough that it won't hinder a weight loss program.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:14 PM   #6  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Kelly I knew you would come thru. Thank you for being such a long standing constant here on the WW Boards!

Colleen, I very much appreciated your answer as well and will give a couple of your tweeks a try. Will let you know how the flavor improves or disproves the test of taste ~winks n grinz~
Old 05-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #7  

Come to think of it, I have to admit I did get my information from a WW leader who tended to be a bit anal about point counting. Even on maintenance, she totaled her entire calories, fiber and fat grams to determined her point total for the day. She advocated this as the only way to make sure you weren't going over you points by not counting all the quarter points you might eat during the day.

This seemed ludicrous to me, as it defeats the purpose of WW point system in my opinion - which is to remove some of the obsessiveness inherent in calorie counting.

I still would drastically cut the oil in the recipe, not only for calories, but because good olive oil is so expensive, a cup and a half seems like such a waste, as most of it will go down the drain.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:53 AM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Colleen, I agree I'd cut out most if not all of the oil myself. LOL!

I think that leader is making this hard and by teaching the members this will ultimately set some up for failure.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:19 AM   #9  

I completely agree. If I hadn't been a new member, I would have spoken up, and I never went to her meetings again. I wouldn't have even passed the tip on, if I remembered where I got it.

It reminds me of my aunt, who read all of the tabloid papers (I mean she bought like 6 of them a week), and claimed not to believe any of them, but then she would pass on gossip obviously from them, forgetting where she had read it.
Closed Thread