Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-27-2006, 08:22 PM   #1  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Addicted to fast food

I know it, I admit it, but I can't stop it. Or, maybe I can but I don't know how.

I am embarrassed to admit this but I am going to anyway. I eat out (mostly Mcdonalds) about 5 days a week. That is 5 meal combo's a week. It seems to be the only thing that will satisfy me. I crave it, I long for it, I am obsessed by it.

It has always been an issue for me, but in the last year or so I have become pathetic with my fast food intake.

Sometimes I will cook a meal for my family, eat with them and then when all the kids are asleep I will sneak out and go to Mcdonalds.

It makes no sense. I don't know why I do it, other then I feel almost panicky until I get it.

I want to stop, but I don't know how.
momof4girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/238/150

Height: 5'3

I kind of have the same problem, but I have been doing better. For one thing I have 3 kids so I really can't afford to be eating out all the time. What I try and do is only eat out on Friday or Saturday kind of like an end of week treat. I like McDonalds too! Friday I took my kids and got them food and didn't get any for me. But it was smelling soooo good! My daughter was not eating and I ended up eating 3 of her chicken nuggets out of her happy meal!
natascharenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:36 PM   #3  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

First step is addmiting it right!???
Just so you know, I am addicted to chcolate-for real! I HAD to give it up, cold turkey....I couldn't stop eating it!

also the fast food companies put chemicals in the food to make it taste better, which harms your body...so that may help give a bit of motivation to stop. I think cutting back at frist would be best. try going to only 3 days a week for 2 weeks then down to 2 for 2 weeks then 1...OR do that AND cut the size of you meal to a kids meal....

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
also maybe set a plan in motion where when you do crave it you get out of the house and away from your wallet away from you keys...go for a walk!

I wish you luck its not easy but you can do this!!!
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:07 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Maybe when your craving you can grab a chicken leg or piece of cheese in your frig, then run to your room and lock the door. I'm addicted to chocolate, when I'm in the stores, I try not to buy it but its SOOOO hard.

Don't be embarassed, not here. We'll try to help you.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:39 PM   #5  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Watch the movie "Super Size Me". If that doesn't cure you I don't know what will.

Hang in there. Don't let the food defeat you!
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 283/270/165

I know exactly what your talking about. I have a compulsive habit of eating fast food and it's been a problem since I started driving. My mom would send me on an errand and I would swing into a fast food place...grab something to eat on the way. Sometimes on the way back to. I have stopped it cold turkey for months at a time, but stress is a big push for me. I finally learned that it's a control issue with me. When I feel like I am losing control in my life food is something that I can control. So I eat out and spend to much money eating out. I have gone to get food for the kids and gotten two meals for myself. I eat one on the way home and then one with the boys. I know at this weight I am not hiding the fact that I have a problem with food. When I have control of the issue I make a pack with myself that I will not eat out alone, I will not eat in the car and I order a regular size meal no super size. If I stick with that I can still eat out with the kids and feel like I am not giving up something completely I just have to be reasonable about what I am getting. I read in a magazine one night about a lady with a similar problem and she said she finally realized that McDonald's was not going out of business any time soon and there is no reason to order more than she needs at a time and not everday. They will be there for her to go back to, so that's her thought process when she is tempted to eat more than one meal or eating there everyday.

You can do this....Make a plan and stick to it. When a friend of mine wanted to stop smoking she started making rooms of her house off limits. She was not allowed to smoke in the living room the first month then the kitchen then the hardest room for her was the bedroom. She finally got down to just smoking outside on the patio and then eventually gave it up completely. That is where I got the idea about not eating in the car, not eating out alone and then not ordering a larger size...just something normal.

Hope this helps!!
alextucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:10 PM   #7  

Addicted I think I am. I have to a caramel sundae from McDonalds everyday on my way home from work. I might throw in a McChicken sandwhich with it. The good thing is is th at the sanswhich with the sundae is is my dinner and dessert.
Ms_Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:27 PM   #8  
No description available.

I just finished reading Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. Not only is fast food bad for our bodies, not only does the advertising target children so much that 8 or 9 out of 10 kids eat there each month, the type of cattle, chicken and potato processing dominated by these companies is phasing out local farming and produce.

Cows are fed remnants of other cows and animals...instead of grass. The description of the meat packing plants made my skin crawl. Poor marginalized workers (usually immigrants) are forced to process cattle at an astronomical rate. They often have to gut a cow every second or two. The author estimated that one out of five cows was gutted improperly spilling feces everywhere and contaminating the meat and machinery. OSHA, the FDA, and the USDA have VERY limited powers monitoring these places. It ain't just beef in them there burgers.

Read this book. It will cure you of your fast food habit.

Last edited by midwife; 05-27-2006 at 10:33 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:02 AM   #9  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I too have this problem. I also watched Super Size me and yes it was gross and all but it still didn't stop me.

I think I am going to try the advice that my dr gave to my husband to quit smoking. You have to break your habits. Start keeping a journal and notice when you have your fast food cravings.

Such as me. Mine is at work. Because it is more convenient and easier than packing a lunch. Heck many times I even pack a lunch and STILL will eat out! I also eat out 4 x's a week or more.

Also if you do eat out, think SMALL, like get a kids meal and work your way from there. Another thing is change your route to work/grocery store/etc. If you pass by a lot of fast food places along the way, change your route so you don't. Also keep a fat free snack in the car with you so you have something to snack on if temptations come upon you.

Just some tips I've heard of, not applied yet, but have heard of. Figure I would share with you all.

Good Luck and we can do this!

*Flady*
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:46 AM   #10  
No description available.

The manure in the meat did it for me. Since I live in a ranching state, I hope to find a real source of grass-fed beef with careful slaughter. Otherwise, this chickie will live beef-free.

I still need to watch Super-Size Me. I think that focused on the personal health aspect. Fast Food Nation focuses on the social and environmental impact, processing and additives, and the very real risks faced by the workers who make billions of dollars for these companies, and are reimbursed pennies from "workers' comp" if they lose a finger, an arm, or a life.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:00 PM   #11  

Height: 5'10

fortunately, my mom never wanted us to have fast food. now im use to it and almost never crave fast food.

I havent eaten fast food in monthes.
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote