Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #1  

Default What to Order?

Good morning ladies-
So I have a question. Im going to this Italian restaurant on Sat with my two best friends and want to order something healthy. I was thinking about this one dish that consists of Penne with tomatoes, carmelized onion, spinach, mushrooms , feta cheese and pinenuts with olive oil. So, I was thinking about substituting the feta cheese and pinenuts with two additional veggies (olives and broccli) and adding grilled chicken to the dish. My question is, should I subsitute the olive oil for marinara sauce, or are they pretyy much the same health wise?
ILUVFOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:41 AM   #2  
it's always something

Oooh, sounds delicious! I think substituting some items for more veggies is great. I think the marinara sauce is probably a better option than the olive oil, due to the huge difference in calories. Tomatoes are very good for you, too. What size portions do they serve? The biggest problem with restaurant food is the portion sizes, especially when it comes to pasta. Pasta is a cheap filler, so they tend to serve platter size portions. Can you ask for a little bit of pasta, and a lot of vegetables? I'll bet zucchini would be good in that dish. Maybe even eggplant
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #3  

Another delicious and usually healthy choice is chicken marsala.. chicken, mushrooms, in a wine sauce. If the restaurant you are going to won't make the changes you request.

Marinara would be much lower in calories than straight olive oil, so stick with that. Olive oil isn't unhealthy, but it does pack a caloric punch. Too much is NOT a good thing on a diet. I remember reading an article a while ago that the average Italian restaurant serves something like 3 servings of pasta on your plate. What some people do is request a take home box be brought out right away, put half in the box and then put that away. Out of site, out of mind.

Extra veggies are excellent.. can never have too many of those IMHO
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/155/140

Height: 5'7"

These days I'm finding that rather than having to make frustrating decisions I just order a really good, really big dinner-type salad - and make sure I've had something small, healthy & high in protein before I go. I do like a big salad, they take a long time to eat, and I figure, I'm there more for the company & conversation than anything else.

cheers,
Sue
suechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #5  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

YUMMMMMM.....I agree! Sounds delish! You are smart to consider, before going to the restaurant, what you will eat!

Many restaurants have a website with nutritional information on their menu items. Have you checked? You may be surprised by the actual calorie and fat contents of some foods. It can help you make the most informed choice.

Suzanne asked about portion size. That is an EXCELLENT point! Many restaurants serve 2-4 servings or even MORE! What I do to deal with this is ask, when I place my order, for a "go box". I ask the waiter to bring it WITH my meal. Then, before taking a bite, I put 1/2 into the go box. Out of site---out of mind!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #6  

Ok, so they have this other dish that consists of a grilled chicken breast, with roasted veggies and mash potatoes. How about I get that and sub the mash potatoes with another serving of veggies? Is this a better option than my "revised" pasta dish?
ILUVFOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 212/155/140

O yes.
cheers, Sue
suechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:47 PM   #8  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVFOOD
Ok, so they have this other dish that consists of a grilled chicken breast, with roasted veggies and mash potatoes. How about I get that and sub the mash potatoes with another serving of veggies? Is this a better option than my "revised" pasta dish?
Your first choice doesn't sound unhealthy to me unless you don't tame the portion size. If it were a choice between your first choice and the revised one quoted above and it were me.. I'd order the one that I really wanted. The first sounds so delicious (compared to the second).. you almost make me want to get Italian tonight!
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 242/223.2/135

Olive oil is a good fat and you would be using less olive oil than marinara.
amberzade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:06 AM   #10  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I agree w/ the ladies, get the one you want. it sounds good with the modifications.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote