UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:31 AM   #1  

Default 10 Years Younger - Bikini Special

Did any of you see this last night? The woman on it had lost 7 and a half stone. She was left with sagging skin and had plastic surgery to fix it.

I've always thought that if I do lose the weight and am left with sagging skin I'll learn to live with it. I'm not that keen on the idea of unnecessary surgery. I used to work in the NHS and am very conscious of the implications of surgery.

But this made me think differently. Firstly her skin looked awful! I wouldnt be happy with it. Secondly she really did look so much better after surgery. It really made me rethink the surgery thing.

Anyone else see it?
coley144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:13 AM   #2  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Yes, I watched it. I think she had a problem body shape (those thighs!) and she also lost the weight VERY quickly - at the beginning it said she used diet drugs. As I understand it, if you lose weight slowly it kind of gives your skin a chance to keep up with the underlying fat loss.

I'm using lots and lots of body lotion (at least twice a day) to keep my skin supple and encourage elasticity. Luckily at the moment even my underarms are going back okay which is pretty amazing at my age. The only problem I'm having is with my tummy which other people have said is the last place to lose fat, so I'm not worrying just yet.

Loose skin depends on so many factors, how overweight you've been, for how long you've been overweight, your age, your genetics, how you treat your skin, etc, etc. Then, of course, there are the risks associated with surgery - anaesthetic, infection, etc. If I were you I wouldn't even begin to think about surgery until you've reached your goal weight just slap on loads of rich moisturiser and hope for the best.

One thing about that programme though, I really do think she is having a problem with her relationship - why on earth would a size 10 want to go to bed in a pair of revolting size 24 pyjamas held together with three washing line pegs? And did you notice that only her daughter said something nice at the end - her 'partner' didn't comment, which seemed a little strange.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 219/167/159

Height: 5' 9"

Default Try googling "tummy tuck" images...

You will see lots of examples of people who have lost weight, been pregnant, etc., who are getting tummy tucks and removal of excess skin. Not everyone has such a problem, i have lost approx. 60 pounds and really don't have any loose skin.

I think heredity is a big role, because I have seen very SKINNY friends get pregnant and then have HORRIBLE loose skin on their tummy where I have none.

Just looking at lots of others can help you decide where you fall. For me, I would definately consider it if I lost another 20 pounds or so. Maybe a breast lift, too.
LeslieFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:40 AM   #4  

I forgot it was on. Blast!.

Everytime I see a prog like that I look down at the old belly and think 'tummy tuck time!!'
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:15 AM   #5  

She sure did seem to have other problems going on. The whole peg thing was bizarre!

I suppose my point was, taking into account all the other factors, if I do end up with sagging skin I'm not necessarily going to rule out surgery. I'm not ruling it in either.

Its not something I particularly worry about but I've been overweight for..well..ever and even now after 40 pounds my skin looks a bit deflated. I know that there's time for things to tighten up but I plan on another 80 pounds at least and that's a lot of tightening! Still you never know...
coley144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #6  
Consistency + Balance

Yes, did you notice her reaction to the presenter when she made a comment about her sex life in those PJs - she REALLY didn't find it at all funny. Makes you wonder if her and her partner were still together by the end of the programme.

Keep slapping on the moisturiser. I am also finding that lifting weights seems to be tightening up my skin (especially my underarms).
Old 05-25-2006, 12:42 PM   #7  

That's what I shopuld be doing, lifting weights cos of my burgeoning bingo wings!
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 174/148/138

Bingo wings mmmm I have some of those, now I wonder if I could trade them in for 2 KFC Hot Wings instead?
Moo :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:51 PM   #9  
Gym'll fix it!!

Good Grief Moo, You're 5'9" and ONLY 137lbs definitely get the hot wings Well Done!
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:34 AM   #10  

Thank you and I did get some Hot Wings last night, they were greasy and not as nice as I remember, got bad bellyache. I guess my body isn't used to all that crap nowadays. But at least I got that craving out of my system.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:47 AM   #11  
Consistency + Balance

I keep on remembering that woman (in the 10 years younger programme) using a sander on the hard skin on her feet. That really grossed me out. I wonder what possessed her the first time she tried it - I mean, what went through her mind? 'Oh, I can't get rid of this hard skin - so I'll get out the Black & Decker and use that on it' or 'That Black & Decker really made a good job of sanding the door - I'll use it on my feet' - possibly 'Darling - after you've stripped the wood off that skirting board could you pass the sander over here so I can use it on my heels'. Huh?

It wouldn't ever have occurred to me to do that.

Mind you, I'm the woman that tried using a hot air paint stripper to caramelise a creme brulee.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:39 AM   #12  

I've used one of the small pointy sanders (Dremils or something like that) on my heels before, wouldn't recomend it as it tickles too much
Old 05-30-2006, 05:27 AM   #13  

i have been scared bout this but I have been reassured that because im young it will be better for me as my skin is better.
Claire Marie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:43 AM   #14  

Compared to alot of you ladies I haven't lost that much weight but I have slight stretch marks on my stomach and legs and have slightly loose arm skin but I don't have much excess skin probably because I'm young. I'd definitely say though it is so worth body moisturising etc like said earlier its worth a few minutes a day damage limitation.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote