Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #1  

Default depression medications

Hi
This has probably already been discussed but I'm going to go ahead and ask it again anyway.
Of the most popular and widely prescribed depression medications, are there those that are the most likely to lead to weight gain or stubborn weight loss? I know that some of those types of side effects can be person to person as well but I just wondered if there was any sort of overall medical findings stating that some are worse than others.
Thanks
Dean
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #2  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

I've been on most.. the the trouble with meds are, they work for some, don't for others. I was zoloft for years and it worked great.. but then it stopped working. I'm on wellbutrin and lexapro now and I seem to be ok. I have depression and a anxiety disorder. So far so good with the weight thing. I also have a binge eating disorder so you can't go by me.. good luck
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:08 AM   #3  

It must definitely be by person. I was on Wellbutrin and Lexapro, and I gained nearly 40 lbs in one year. They also made me feel a heck of a lot worse. Anxiety through the roof . . . Effexor had me losing weight, but it didn't seem to have any other effect. I've been on dozens of other depression/anxiety medications, but I'd have to really think about it to remember what effects they had.
MsHelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:00 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I was on Prozac and Welbutrin and neither made me gain weight. Zoloft made me crazy but no weight gain
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #5  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I was on Wellbutrin XR and while I wasn't on it for a long time, it did make my appetite go down and it seemed like I had more energy. But I know everybody is different.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:59 PM   #6  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

I think they vary by drug and by person. The older ones (MAOIs) were I think worse for weight gain. I've found Zoloft makes it easier for me not to binge. (Probably because I'm less depressed!)
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/165.5/142

I have been on Zoloft twice in my life, and both times I gained a lot of weight. Also, after going off those were also the 2 times in my life it seemed I had no metabolism for months and months afterward. I am just now feeling like my metabolism is revved back up from going off Zoloft the second time(3 months ago). Here is MY THEORY as to why this happened to me.

Zoloft helped my depression and my PMS symptoms. No big mood swings. I didn't feel the extreme sadness and depression while on it, but I also didn't feel joy. In fact, I really didn't feel ANYTHING. By anything, I mean I didn't feel overly happy, overly sad, overly angry, overly anxious, overly in "the" mood(iykwim), and I didn't feel over HUNGRY, OR overly FULL. I just didn't feel. So, I would eat a lot, but not really feel the effects of being full. I would gain weight, but I wouldn't be too upset about it.

I went off the Zoloft, and continued to gain weight for a while. But, now I am back on track again. I may need to find another med sometime, but for now I am doing OK. I don't if any of this helped you at all, but that's just my experience. God Bless!
JudyChat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/249/130

I'm on Lamictal, Seroquil and Klonopin. I just started the seroquil and my dr said it may cause weight gain but I won't be on it long. Thank God.

I've gained weight since I started, but it's mostly due to my poor eating habits, otherwise I would've probably stayed the same weight.
Girl Germs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #9  

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyChat
I have been on Zoloft twice in my life, and both times I gained a lot of weight. Also, after going off those were also the 2 times in my life it seemed I had no metabolism for months and months afterward. I am just now feeling like my metabolism is revved back up from going off Zoloft the second time(3 months ago). Here is MY THEORY as to why this happened to me.

Zoloft helped my depression and my PMS symptoms. No big mood swings. I didn't feel the extreme sadness and depression while on it, but I also didn't feel joy. In fact, I really didn't feel ANYTHING. By anything, I mean I didn't feel overly happy, overly sad, overly angry, overly anxious, overly in "the" mood(iykwim), and I didn't feel over HUNGRY, OR overly FULL. I just didn't feel. So, I would eat a lot, but not really feel the effects of being full. I would gain weight, but I wouldn't be too upset about it.

I went off the Zoloft, and continued to gain weight for a while. But, now I am back on track again. I may need to find another med sometime, but for now I am doing OK. I don't if any of this helped you at all, but that's just my experience. God Bless!
Judy,

I am going through the same thing with Zoloft. It did help my depression but I also gained weight. I don't know whether I gained it from the Zoloft itself or from my "i don't care" attitude coming from the affects of Zoloft. Like you said, I don't really get too excited or sad about anything. My mother-in-law passed away last month and I didn't even cry. Thats when I said enough. I have an appointment next month to clear up this problem...hopefully. I'd really like to get off this medication. Not only for the weight gain but for my sanity!

Thanks for sharing that info. Made me feel better knowing I wasn't the only one.

I'm so glad I checked this website out again. I was on WW 2 years ago and used this website for inspiration and recipes. Now it has become this major forum of information! I love it and I will make it a point to check in everyday.

maggiemae1023 is offline   Reply With Quote