Old 05-22-2006, 11:14 PM   #1  

Default Calorie Cycling

What is calorie cycling? I have seen it mentioned, and I was just wondering what is...
Thanks!
Apolline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:16 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I *think* it's when you drastically vary your caloric intake day by day to kind of trick your body into shedding more. I do a modified version of this... I'm on a roughly 1200 calorie diet and when I hit a plateu I notice if I eat a lot of nutritious calorie dense foods and hype my intake up to around 1800 for a day I drop a few LBS over the next few days . Hope that helps!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:20 PM   #3  

Ok - thanks!!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:30 PM   #4  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Calorie cycling comes from the concept that human bodies did not develope under conditions where they were always receiving the same number of calories each day. People who cycle do so in varying ways, but usually they will have higher calorie days and lower calorie days that average together to get their desired intake. The thought is that their bodies are kept guessing about how much food they are going to get each day, and therefore be less likely to hit plateaus.

I cycle with an average of 2000 (1800, 1900, 2000, 2100, and 2200 each appear in a 5 day period, each chosen randomly, then a new sequence in the next 5 day period)(this is the tragedy that happens when math professors have children) I don't know that it really prevents plateaus, but I began eating this way during one that ended shortly after I started, and I haven't had one since- could be or probably is a coincidence. However, I do know that I appreciate the higher cal days, as they give me a chance to eat with a little more freedom, and I don't mind the lower cal days. So I'm much happier with this method than always eating 2000.

Hope this answers your question without being too confusing.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:38 PM   #5  

So, if it is random each week, do you just pick a number out of a hat?
Your range is 1800 to 2200 - is that a normal range. I am a little confused as to what my target calorie range should be. I have been told 1000 - 1200 to lose weight at a decent pace, but then I am not so sure how well that will work because I might not be able to really stick to that, and I would rather be slow and steady than a total failure! LOL...
Any advice, suggestions?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Apolline,
The LOWEST you eat is 1200 cals/day. At 189 pounds you could probably lose on 1600-1800 calories a day. You'll then decrease that amount as you lose so you won't need to cut back to 1200 until your closer to your goal.

About the calorie cycle...I did a form of this with great success. What I did was take my maximum calories per day (1800) and multiply by 7 (for the days). That was like my calorie bank for the week. So sometimes I would only have so subtract 1400 or 1600, sometimes 2200. It worked well for me because it kept me accountable for an entire week, not just one day at a time.

Good luck,
Stacy
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:06 AM   #7  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Without knowing how tall you are, it's hard to know what is a realistic calorie intake for you.

I am 5'11", so if I maintain an active lifestyle, and eat about 2000 cals per day, I will eventually move down to a healthy weight, and maintain that weight over time. There are "daily maintenance calorie calculators" on the web (search google) that you can use as guidelines for your body. Just remember that they are guidelines, estimates, not set in stone. You may have to move the numbers up or down to adjust to you specifically.

The traditional advice is to find your maintenance calories for each day ignoring any exercise you do but including how active you are outside of exercise (i.e. steelworkers would be extrememly active, accountants would be sedentary). Then, add the cals burned from the exercise you do. This is how many calories you need to eat to neither gain nor lose weight. From this total, subtract 500 to lose 1 pound/per week, 1000 to lose 2. (It is not generally advised to try to lose more than 2 per week.)

It is not generally needed (or useful) to go down to 1200 cals unless you are very short or very sedentary. And in fact, there is anecdotal evidence that weight loss might be more difficult if calorie intake is brought down too low. (This is a debated issue.)

I say, why suffer and make losing weight harder than it needs to be. Get some exercise, eat some more, take your time. The weight will still come off, but since you are doing it sensibly, you'll be less likely to give up and quit altogether, and more likely to keep the weight off when you have hit your maintenance weight.

Good luck! Of course, this isn't the ONLY way to do this, but it's the one that is working for me.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:27 AM   #8  

Thanks for all of the help! I am 5'7" and I did the calorie search and it has my daily maint. calories is 2463... which is suprising to me - I am not sure what I thought they should have been....
So, I guess I will try to start out at 1600, and see how it goes, that will leave me some "splurge" room.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:50 AM   #9  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Wow!! for some reason I'd never bothered to look into what my calorie intake should be... my doctor said 1200 so I listened... eek, I think he's WAY off! I live a very active lifestyle and am 5'9"... maybe that's why my weight loss has been Slow?! Weird!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote