General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #1  
ugggg.....

Default Why is it....

Why is it when you are trying to be good on your diet it seems that people are coming out of the woodwork offering you all those things that you can't have? (funniest was my coworker who knows I am on a diet offered me some glazed apricots from Harry and David--I said no thanks and she was like it's fruit--it's good for you and since it is H & D it is of the best qualtiy!)

What is really amazing is that a coworker just lost three toes to undiagnosed diabetes and since she has been out I have been offered cake four times....more than it's been offered to me in the last six months all together......

******EDITED*********************************
just to clarify the coworker who lost three toes to diabetes is not the one that offered the apricots but the incident happenned after my beloved coworker/friend's hospital stay
--co-worker w/diabetes is doing well--started out with two shots a day and with changing eating habits went to one and then a lower dosage of one and her doctor says if she can keep it up she will be able to be off shots completely and go to pills

Last edited by jules1216; 05-18-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #2  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Hehe I love that... "But it's fruit!!!"

Good for you on the "No, thanks". It can be a difficult thing to do!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #3  
Sparkpeople=Waterchicklet

S/C/G: 349/306.7/150

Height: 5' 5.5"

Talking

I swear people have diet radar. Since starting to diet my hubby has asked me to go out three times for take-out in less than a week. He never asked when I wasn't dieting.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #4  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

the same people usually show up when you are trying to quit smoking and offer you cigarettes!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #5  
mom2cole

I actually live in the town where Harry and David is located and if you go into their store they hand out truffles as samples, they don't even cut them in half they give you the whole dang thing and man are they the best ever!!! I can't go in there because I keep going back for seconds!! I even thought about applying for a job there, but I just can't handle the temptation!.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:31 AM   #6  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1216
Why is it when you are trying to be good on your diet it seems that people are coming out of the woodwork offering you all those things that you can't have? (funniest was my coworker who knows I am on a diet offered me some glazed apricots from Harry and David--I said no thanks and she was like it's fruit--it's good for you and since it is H & D it is of the best qualtiy!)

What is really amazing is that a coworker just lost three toes to undiagnosed diabetes and since she has been out I have been offered cake four times....more than it's been offered to me in the last six months all together......

but its fruit!!!!! thats is pretty funny! you would think that after losing toes she would know better! I think I would have said ther her "it is fruit, you are right, but the sugar defeats the purpose of the fruit" I am just blunt that way! lol
Old 05-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #7  
plucky clucky

S/C/G: 228/228/130 or less

Height: 5" 5'

In my case my mom is the one that gets me. She finds out I've lost weight and she brings food to me, all the goodies that I just can't say no to. GRRR but I love her anyway. Maybe I should try to convince her I just can't keep my hands (and teeth) off of carrots.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #8  

Learning to live with these people is part of losing and maintaining. People constantly comment on how healthy I eat and then offer my junk. I CHOOSE not to eat those things. They are not something that is bad or not allowed. No food is good or bad, some are better than others and we have to CHOOSE what to eat. Because I turn down cake today, doesn't mean I can never have it. I may decide to have a couple of bites sometime in the future. After you turn them down a few times, they quit.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:04 PM   #9  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

Quote:
I said no thanks and she was like it's fruit--it's good for you and since it is H & D it is of the best qualtiy!
HAHAHA, it sounds a lot like my husband's logic, or when Homer Simpson insisted that "purple is a fruit"! I feel your pain. My coworkers are always bringing in stuff and offering it to me. So hard to say NO sometimes.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:25 PM   #10  
210 / 193 / 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA
Learning to live with these people is part of losing and maintaining. People constantly comment on how healthy I eat and then offer my junk. I CHOOSE not to eat those things.
I agree, learning to handle other people's comments is part of staying on track. When I was thin, people would say the most illogical things to me. "How come all you skinny people are always eating salad? People your weight can eat whatever you want." Umm, okay, friend, there's this thing known as "cause and effect," and it's a difficult concept to grasp, but I'll explain it the best I can...

Then there are those who feel obligated to comment on the price of my healthy meals. "Oh, I just love salads like you're eating, but I can't afford to buy that stuff." The latter comment was from a co-worker who was eating a pre-made sandwich purchased at a convenience store, washed down with a large bottle of pop from the vending machine. Great. Sit there with your sandwich and pop, that you bought the most expensive way possible, and hint that I'm an extravagant spendthrift because I brought a homemade salad.

~Sigh~. One has to develop a thick skin, if one is going to eat right in public.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:55 PM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita
Then there are those who feel obligated to comment on the price of my healthy meals.
Ahhh, I see you've met my parents. When I go out to eat with them, I try and suggest Ruby's salad bar or Applebee's WW menu but they claim those places are out of their budget. But they'll jump at the chance to go to the Outback.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #12  
ugggg.....

Today the coworker with the glazed apricots offered me "healthy" cookies--they were homemade oatmeal and oatmeal is healthy right!!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I don't understand food pushers at all. I have food issues, I was a heavy person because I could not control my eating. If I were a recovering alcoholic would they offer me beer and then say something like, "oh come on, it's a special occasion?" Grrr.

I am always sweetly smiling and polite the first 2 times I turn something down. If they keep pushing, I get rude. It drives me absolutely crazy.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #14  

I never tell people I am 'dieting'.......what gets me is the interest people show in my food........what I bring to work to eat. If people offer me things I take it if I want it, say no thanks if I don't......or if it is a situation that may offend I take a little and either put it down somewhere and forget about it, throw it out, or give it away.

L
Closed Thread