Old 05-17-2006, 12:35 PM   #1  
L A D Y J A M E S

S/C/G: 265/236/180

Height: 5'9

Default skirt tips

What do you all do in the summertime? Last summer I discovered that when I wear skirts my thighs chafe and leave this horrible rash-looking thing (yeah, I am late to the skirt game). So far, I have been wearing tights under my skirts, but it is going to get hot soon. I would rather not wear short underneath my skirts, because that would make me too hot (I tried that last summer). Help please!
ladyjames63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:16 PM   #2  

I usually opt for the bicycle-shorts-under-skirt option, as it is the most effective. If I am going to work, I'll wear panty hose. Even thigh-highs help with the chafing, and also are more comfortable than full-coverage panty hose.

Otherwise, my bottom-of-the-barrel remedy is baby powder. Keep a little travel-sized thing with you in your purse. It absorbs moisture, which is what causes your thighs to stick and chafe. It also creates a barrier between your thighs so they can't really touch.

There are products specifically made for this problem, I think -- I've never used them, but I've heard of them on these forums. Astro Glide I think was one of the names... apparently fabric-friendly and non-irritating.

Hope that helps I hate that problem too, it's one reason why I only started wearing skirts recently......
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #3  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Nice thin split slips are best solution I found to the thigh chaffing dilemma. They're just loose shorts made out of slip material and most department stores will have them with the slips. I think vanity fair made the ones I used to buy.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:11 PM   #4  

I love the Monistat soothing cream...it runs between 6 and 9 dollars depending on the store you buy it at. Depending on how much you're walking you may only need one application...but if you're doing a lot of walking in your skirt you need to reapply at least twice. It makes your inner thighs slick...for lack of a better word, so they move better. It's not greasy even though it looks like it would be when you take it out of the container.
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I've used vaseline to good success. It is heavier than regular cream & therefore has more staying power.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:41 PM   #6  

Wouldn't stuff like Vaseline end up all over your skirt when you sit down, though?
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:06 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tani
Nice thin split slips are best solution I found to the thigh chaffing dilemma. They're just loose shorts made out of slip material and most department stores will have them with the slips. I think vanity fair made the ones I used to buy.
Agreed, these are the best, they aren't hot like spandex thigh shapers, and they don't roll up your thighs when you walk. Since I wear thin cotton skirts in the summer I need a slip anyway.
Smilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 268/260/194

Height: 5'7.5"

Antiperspirant on the areas that rub--it's always at hand and it's always worked better for me than powder, which I was using before.
zizania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #9  

Interesting ladies! I've always had this problem Even at my skinniest, I still have the thighs. Ahhh...one day to have inner thighs that don't touch....

Moving on, I don't know why, but I never thought that this problem could be solved. I remember in high school I was in the band (yay! band geek!) and we had wool uniforms. And of course, the crotch was super low. That was the worst chaffing I can remeber in my entire life. Walking miles in 90 degree heat in wool uniforms, hat and all, playing the same song over and over, and getting chaffing sooooo bad. I wore spandex shorts underneath when I started to smarten up, still hot, but at least I was out of pain!

I think everyone has posted good ideas. Along with baby powder, I would one up that with Gold Bond powder. I've never tried it, but if guys use it....
salvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:42 PM   #10  

Salvi, I was a band geek too!!! Then I moved on to colorguard, and the uniforms got MUCH better Those wool things were horrible, how did I NOT FAINT? OH yeah...I did...once every year- freshman year, sophomore year, and junior year UGH!
No tips on the thigh rubbing...but I am getting tips from here!
Pilatesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:45 AM   #11  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

i tried your antiperspirant tip, Zizania, and it worked like a charm! Walked to school and back (40 min each way) while it was smoking hot out, and was completely comfortable! I didn't smell too bad, either....

Last edited by sierra_ttw; 05-18-2006 at 10:07 AM.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:40 AM   #12  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Sounds like you have gotten some good suggestions. I too have always secretly had this problem and until this thread thought there was nothing that could be done about it. Thanks for bringing it up, now I have gotten some good tips too!
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #13  
L A D Y J A M E S

S/C/G: 265/236/180

Height: 5'9

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Thank you, ladies!
ladyjames63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #14  
No more fat mama!

I am not a skirt person but I wear dresses and these tips are fantastic!!!
bearcatmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:40 PM   #15  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

S/C/G: 162/152/135

Height: 5'5"

baby oil works too
wannaBsize7 is offline   Reply With Quote