Old 05-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #1  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Question Fashion Forward Short Fat Chicks...I Need Help

Ok....so hopefully I got you in here!!!

For Mother's Day, Rudy made me an amazing dinner of steak, prawns, roasted baby potatoes and our favourite wine. All of this was served on our back patio..complete with candles, a dozen red roses and a crisp white tablecloth!!!

He also gave me a beautiful card containing $200.00, and was very clear that I could not spend it on bills...I MUST spend it all on myself and only myself.
I don't think I've ever spent that much on clothing in my life (I'm TERRIBLE at buying things for myself!!!)

So here I am...in DESPERATE need of some new clothes and I HATE SHOPPING (I think it's a combination of nothing ever fitting and never having any money...more of a depressing activity than anything)

I know that $200.00 is nearly nothing...I am very used to shopping in thrift stores..but never have any luck getting anything clothing wise.

I need advice from the ground up...I'm 5'0 and a size 16/18. I'm fairly hourglass shaped but I have a massive gut (in my opinion), and am fond of my bust, but NOT fond of my calves/knees or upper arms.
What would be the most important foundation pieces the I should buy?
Basically....tell me everything you know about shopping and fashion and help me create a small list of basics to buy for myself, OK??

Not a tall order is it??

Thanks everyone...love you

Linda (Remember I'm in Canada...not all online stores will ship to me)
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I wish I could help but basically I'm in the same boat. I buy most of my clothes at WalMart, loose fitting cotton pants and t-shirts. Otherwise I have hospital scrubs for work. Whatever you do buy clothes that fit, baggy clothes in my opinion don't hide anything, just emphasizes. I think long tops would be best to minimize your abdomen over pleated trousers or a long skirt (if you are going the dressy route).
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I'm in the average height category so I can't help you there but you might go to www.mvm.com (my virtual model) and build you one to your proportions and try on clothes on your model to get you idea of styles that would look good for your body frame. I also like to make my model my goal weight and shop and I find clothes that I thought were cute, probably still wouldn't look great on me small either. HTH.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

What about Reitman's? They have some nice clothes, I get stuff there for work sometimes. Depend if you have one near you. I have to travel for 6 hours to get to the one near me but that's okay, I don't buy clothes too often. But I'm not sure about the height factor, they probably have clothes for your height!
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Tops:
-3/4 length sleeves will show off the narrowest part of your arms.
-Shirts that gather in just below the bust line accentuate the bust and the rest of the material will drape to cover your belly.
-I don't know your proportions, but if you have a short torso like I do, longer shirts that cover down to the hips can elongate your middle section.
-I don't know what kind of bras you wear, but a quality bra will make your clothes look so much better. Undergarments are some of the most important foundation pieces you can have. Sometimes it's worth spending $45 on a bra.
-A smart, tailored jacket that goes in at the waste will make the most of your hourglass figure.

Pants:
-Wide legs or a slight boot cut can be flattering; never wear pants that taper at the bottom.
-I'm only 4" taller than you, but I still heavily rely on high heels for the added height, plus it's hard to find pants that are wide enough but short enough for flats (I'm not a fan of folding up my pants).

These are just some basic tips that I go by. I absolutely love to shop. The biggest word of advice I can give is to be open-minded. If you see something on the rack that makes you think: "I would never wear that," grab it and try it on. You've got nothing to lose by trying something different, and that's how I've come by some of my favorite pieces in my wardrobe. Good luck and have fun!
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

P.S. If you have cable, the show "What not to wear" on BBC America provides some wonderful information and tips on how to make the most of your body type.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #7  
Linda

Thank you!

Dawnyal: I have an MVM account but most of the time it won't even create a model for me at my height and weight...as if we don't exist!!!

Donna, I do have a Reitman's about 20 minutes away...I'll check them out

Goodbye Chubby: (Sorry, I don't know your name!) I do watch What Not to Wear all the time...but usually they've got only one of my/our issues...short OR fat rather than both

I'm going to take a peek at their (what not to wear) website and see if they've got more info too. I just don't want to spend this money frivoulously!

Come on ladies....got any more for me...pretty please????

xoxo

Linda
Old 05-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #8  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

I would try Addition-elle or Cotton Jinny. Its been awhile since I've shopped there but they had some really nice things, that and Reitmans.

As for summer clothing musts:.....CAPRI'S!!! Patterned or solids are a must. Skirts are iffy for me as I (sorry....) sweat between the legs, but skorts are great!!! I would have to agree with the "no tapered pants" rule.....having a wider flare at the hem makes you have a longer lean look. A tunic top is another nice item to have because they often have really nice stitching or beadwork around the neck area which draws attention to where you want it and away from where you don't want it. Halter tops with clever patterns can be very slimming and accent your pretty shoulders. (don't forget the soft glitter powder!!)

My other summer item would be lots of strappy sandals!!! Can't have enough and usually your shoe size doesn't change like the scale does!!! Big sunglasses are the rage...think Jackie O!!! and lots of sheer lipgloss. Girl....you are going to look HOT...!!!!
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #9  

I shop at Cato, Fashion Bug, and Walmart. I also look at online stores like Silhouettes and Romans.
I would say that from the sounds of it, you have issues like me - The size I need to buy my tops in fit around the guy, but are too big in the bust and shoulders. I have not figured out how to correct that problem.
I watch What Not to Wear on TLC alot. I can tell you DO NOT BUY TAPERED PANTS. Do buy straight leg, boot cut pants; and as Stacey and Clinton on the show would say - length doesn't matter, because a good pair of pants can always be tailored (however I have to wonder if they live in the real world where real people can't afford to pay for that). Because of your height, invest in some stylish heels.... slender heels, not wedges or chunky. Also perhaps a jacket that is just past waist length, something that is considered "fitted" with maybe one button, or buttons starting below your bustline would help complete a look.
Granted, I don't what you look like, but these are just things I've learned from the show.
check out their website, they do give all kinds of tips...
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/wh...nottowear.html
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #10  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Linda,

I hate to shop so I am with you on that. I try to stretch my dollars by shopping deeply dicounted items in clearance sections. I also cut down on shoppping time and money by finding a few stores/styles that always fit me i.e. Sears brand in 24/26 and watch for the sales on those items. I don't buy anything that isn't at least 50% off but usually more. The exception would be undergarments. I really agree with the previous poster who said the right undergarment can really change your look. I have my bras professionally fit at a lingerie store and then buy the same subsequent bras at a store which sells them for much less.

If your feeling... You might want to invest in a session with a personal shopper or go to a store that offers this as a free service When I had a lot less time and more money, I hired someone to shop for me. She just seemed to know what looked good on me and I learned some basic principles about my body type that I still use today. Sort of a short version of the What Not to Wear experience. Hope this helps

Don't for get to have some fun with your loot!!!!

Denise

In case you haven't found it by now, the folks from What Not To Wear have a book out that breaks things down by height, heaviness and body type. You might find something you are looking for there
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:59 AM   #11  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Okay, I'm a tall girl... but my one piece of advice, that I haven't seen mentioned yet is if you don't already have one, invest in a good bra. I think this is even more crucial for shorter gals. Buying one will make all of the clothes you buy look better, and probably make it look like you dropped 10 pounds. Most larger department stores will have people to fit you, so use them! Have fun!
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #12  
rethinking myself...

S/C/G: 276/256/175

Height: 5' 11"

I'm a tall girl, but I also like my bust and dislike my upper arms. I look for shirts with decent sleeves and swooping necklines, like low v-necks. Also remember that any of those cute sleeveless tanks can be worn under a light sweater or a shrug.

Buy stuff that you really love! That way it will feel special. I have gone the route of buying tons of cheap clothes, but sometimes fewer special pieces is a better way to go, especially since the money was a gift.

Even if you hate to do it, try stuff on. What it looks like on the hanger and what it looks like on you are two totally different worlds. I realize this may not work with mail-order. At size 16/18 you should have a lot of store options since most stores with misses go up to an 18 (although you have to watch the measurements).

Glamour's MVM has a better range of weights, but it's just for swimsuits http://glamour.mvm.com
kittymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:09 PM   #13  
Linda

Aimee's (Canadian and American!!!)

Anything else to add?

What would be the most basic..wardrobe starting pieces?

Linda
Old 05-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 315/268/150

Here is my opinion:

Tops:
-3/4 arm lenght (to hide your arms but not look like you're wearing winter clothing)
- Try tops that have empire waistline. They have the wonderfull effect of highlighting your bust but not the gut since it flowes at that area.
- try tops that offer asimetric layers of very light fabrics (hide the gut area again)
- buy tops that are more fitted at the top but farther away from the waist
- buy tops that stop at the waist or very close to it

Pants:

- instead of shorts, try capris. They offer the confort of full lenght pants but the comfort of not creeping up your thigh while walking.
- Look for pants that fit at the waist not bellow the waist (they tend to accentuate the gut)
- look for straight legs, they flow better and take they eyes away from the hip area (they also stay away from creeping up when you walk)

skirts:

- look for 3/4 lenght, full lenght will make you look shorther
- look for skirts that are assimetric, it will take the eyes away from you calves making it feel more confortable.
- look for very light materials, the more flow the better (again eye distraction)
- look for A line skirts

Must haves:

- a white shirt (try a style that can also look good open)
- a black shirt ( again , try to find one that is like the white one)
- a nice jean (try finding one with no pockets in the back and horizontal pockets in the front (------) instead of the regular pocket and try a darker denim rather than lighter denim)
- a nice black (and/ or navy) pant (try to find one with no pockets or an horizontal pocket
- a nice skirt (try either black or navy) that look unseasonal
- a few well choosen t-shirt type shirts ( try getting one black, one white and maybe two that have the fashionable colors)
- a few tank tops of different colors

Why those must haves:
- if you have a nice dark jean, it will be a more "all occassion" pant than just the "normal" jeans that look more casual.
- Choosing horizontal pockets/ no pockets rather than the "normal" pockets will make your pants look straighter and not as "thick" at your waist and butt. A more discreat pocket makes you look smaller too.
- nice shirts that look as good open as they do closed will make that piece more versatile. If you get a few colorfull tanks , you will have a new look with each combinations and you can dress them up or dress them down.
- the nice pants and skirt, if you work in an office it will make great work clothes and they are nice peices for going out.

Where can find these:

Try Penningtons, they have a good collection and since they have names for each collection/style , it makes your shopping easier. (tops go for :Seatle ) (pants : Chicargo), they also have tons of clothing that you can buy 2 or more for a specific price. If you buy their tanks, buy the ones that are polyester blend (they stay nice longer than cotton ones)

Addition Elle also have great choices.

Laura plus have realy nice stuff but they are more expensive.
Foreverhopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #15  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

What about personal shopper!! At some of the higher end stores I believe they will provide a personal shopper service (free). I think someone like that can give you some pointers on the kinds of clothing that is best for your body shape.

I know, you only have 200 to spend. Tell them you are doing a complete wardrobe overhaul and you need to know where to start. When It's all done, buy what you like and tell them you'll have to come back for more later. What can they do. (I would make sure there isn't a minimum purchase first!)

Just a thought!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote