UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #1  

Default New, from Suffolk UK

Hi everyone, just found this site and hoping for inspiration, not quite sure how it all works.I am 55, and about 15 stone, (daren't even weigh myself). I know I keep gaining over last few years, and just can't even start dieting at moment - HELP PLEASE. I am veggie, I know what to eat, but can't get started. Part of the trouble is that a few weeks ago I tried the low GI, I stuck to it for 2 weeks religioulsy, and at the end I had lost half a measly pound. Its enough to drive you to chocolate! Any encouragement gratefully received.
happysunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #2  

Welcome!!! It is really hard to know where to start. There's lots of veggies here, check out the recipe thread in the stickies!!!

I started at 19 stone in Jan 2005, now I've lost 64lbs. I exercise a lot and eat sensibly, some weeks I lose 2 - 3lb, other weeks I lose nothing, but when you have a lot to lose, slow and steady wins the race every time. A half pound loss on low GI is nothing to be sneezed at, but I know it seems like a drop in a bucket when you have a lot to lose to get to where you want to be.

So welcome again, I am sure you'll find lots of support and inspiration here!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:43 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi and welcome! I'm from the "other side of the pond" but wanted to greet you and encourage you to look around the forum and jump right in anywhere!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:10 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi and welcome. The support and encouragement here is wonderful. Good luck and best wishes.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:31 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hello happy sunflower!

Welcome and jump in. I used to weigh 16st - I'm now at about 12st and as the gals will tell you - kickboxing and fitness mad. It can be done There is soooo much hope!

Start by making tiny changes, walk more, eat less Haribo... (worked for me although you probably don't eat it if you're veggie...) realise that fish and chips every day isn't the way to go!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:25 AM   #6  

Hi Sunflower!

I guess it is really up to you whether you want to count calories, fat grams or follow a specific diet. Whatever is easiest for you.

Maybe have a look in the library for some inspiration?

It is up to you personally but I find it easier going to a club (Slimming World) being weighed once a week and so on. Of course there are others.

If you prefer doing it yourself there are plenty of good sites on the web (but this is the best!).

Rose Elliott - a vagetarian author has written several veggie books some of wwhich are aimed at slimmers. Vegetarian Slimming from what I remember actually mentioned several kinds of diets which she had made veggie friendly - there is also a low barb one if that is your fancy. Ask at the library or have a look on Amazon.

Both Slimming World and Weight watchers have some veggie recipes (at the time I joined SW it has the edge as WW at that ime was too found of the "If vegetarian just omit the ham" kind of thing tho this is no longer the case but I just got on better with SW.

Also of course Rosemary Conley has a number of books out.

It might be too confusing to mix and match recipes from different slimming clubs but may be look at a few magazines and see which suits you.
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #7  

LOL! LOw barb!!! I mean of course Low carb!!!!

Silly me! The only thing shrinking at the moment is my brain cells!!
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:52 AM   #8  
is about to be slim !!

S/C/G: 170/164.4/147

Height: 5ft 3in

Welcom Sunflower and well done taking the first steps. You will find lots of help and friendly info here just read, read, read.....
AmandaMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:41 AM   #9  
Denise-gotta reach target

S/C/G: 237/209/140

Height: 5ft 5.2

hi happysunflower!

Welcome!

I have not been posting on this site for very long -but they are a great bunch on here

where abouts in suffolk are you?
i am in suffolk too-haverhill

i follow the slimming world plan, and if you are a veggie i think it would be a very good plan for you
Zafira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:17 PM   #10  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Hi - I'm 51 and I've noticed that its getting harder to lose weight but easier to gain it as each year goes by. Last September I was at my all time high of 18st - but its melting off slowly. I'm doing all kinds of stuff mixed in - for instance I count calories but I only eat low GI foods so I make the most of each calorie.

Like Kyk and Frus and some of the others, I've found that the key to my weight loss has been introducing exercise in to my life. I used to hate it at school but after taking the time to look around I've found types of exercise that I really enjoy.

My recommendation would be to do some research on the internet before you chose which plan or exercise you want to use. You might find that none of the commercial diets are suitable for you but you could take the good bits and make up your own life plan.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 74.6/67.5/56 or 165/149/124

Height: 5'5 1/2

Welcome!

There is the veggie chicks sections, and all sorts of other ones too. What ever tickles your fancy, South Beach, Atkins, general veganism, Eat to Live, Slimming world, Weighwatchers, caloriecounting... And those are just a few! Sure you will find lots of friends here fast, I have, it's a very nice supportive place !
San*_* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysunflower
Hi everyone, just found this site and hoping for inspiration, not quite sure how it all works.I am 55, and about 15 stone, (daren't even weigh myself). I know I keep gaining over last few years, and just can't even start dieting at moment - HELP PLEASE. I am veggie, I know what to eat, but can't get started. Part of the trouble is that a few weeks ago I tried the low GI, I stuck to it for 2 weeks religioulsy, and at the end I had lost half a measly pound. Its enough to drive you to chocolate! Any encouragement gratefully received.
Hellooooo happysunflower funnily enough I'm a veggie too. I'd keep on the GI for a few more weeks if you're liking it and see how much you lose in a month. You could lose 2 pounds a week for the next two weeks you never know! And maybe add a bit of choc if you're missing it.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #13  

Thanks to you all for the great welcome and suppport, I am feeling much more motivated thanks to you, including those "across the pond". I have decided to have first few days on Slimfast in day + healthy evening meal, with maybe two fruit snacks. May be that will give me a couple of pounds weight loss for first week, that would really encourage me.
I have joined clubs in the past, and leave after a couple of months for various reasons. This time I will look at this site every morning (quickly at work) to inspire me, and more thorougly pm, as there is so much to explore.
Being in my 50s, I find weight much harder to shift, so Sarah I think you are right, must start more exercise. May find that dance mat again.
Thanks again all.
:wave
Old 05-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #14  

Oh bum, I messed that up, meant to add a wave??
Old 05-16-2006, 04:30 AM   #15  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

hi
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote