South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #1  
femgineer

Height: 5'-11"

Thumbs up New Girl on the Beach

Hi, folks!
I just wanted to introduce myself, so here goes.
I'm 28 years old and I work in a fairly stressful job. I've always struggled with my weight. I recently took a new position in a new town and was completely knocked down a peg or two when I went to the doctor for the first time in about two years.
I had no idea my weight had ballooned up to 326. I think I must have ******ed anorexia or something because I always thought "Oh, I'm not THAT heavy.."
Anyway, I had some bloodwork done and found out I was prediabetic, was suffering from edema, and had super high blood pressure. The doctor said I should have gastric bypass surgery or I might not make it to 30.
After the initial shock wore off and I managed to humble myself into calling my insurance company, I found out that my insurance doesn't cover any of the cost of the surgery and I'm back to square one.
All of this happened two weeks ago. I'm still kind of reeling.
So, I picked up the SBD book last Sunday and decided that I'm going to put up a fight. I'd like to see 30 and then some.
I started Phase I on Monday, May 8. As of today, Sunday, May 14, I am down 11.8 pounds and counting. I realize I've got a way to go, but I'm cautiously optimistic and excited about changing my lifestyle for the better.
I wanted to post here to get some feedback about what everyone else felt about the diet and to try to gain some support in my effort. So, are there any pitfalls I should watch out for? Does anyone have any tips for a newbie?
I'm really looking forward to continuing with South Beach and hope to make a few new friends in the process.
Wish me luck!
Old 05-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well a great big to The Beach and a big congratulations on starting on this journey. Read through all the stickies in here and in the FAQ and please post as many questions as you like.

This plan is great for diabetics and pre-diabetics. My endocrinologist fully approves.

You don't need luck - just determination, skill and planning!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #3  

HOORAY FOR YOU AND WELCOME....I am fairly new to "The Beach" myself and the most surprising thing for me is that it has curbed my cravings big time. I lost 110 lbs on WW but had begun trading in my points on unhealthy foods and lots of carbs. Consequently, I began to gain back so I needed a change after being on WW over 3 yrs and this plan was what I chose. I lost 5lbs my first week, then had the dreaded TOM and only lost .5 so I decided to stay on Phase I for another week. I will know how I did this week in the morning, as that is weigh day. I hope that you find success here but keep on trying even if SB isn't the plan for you. YOU ARE WORTH IT!
Old 05-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/177/145

Welcome! Everyone here is friendly and will be very supportive. Looks like you are doing great!!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #5  
South Beach Life Style

Welcome to the BEACH<, Ruth is making you a towel for the beach..LOL

This is an awesome thread, what ever question I had in the beginning and even now, It is answered quickly and there is a lot of support here Join us on our daily threads,, you are doing so great..11.8 lbs is Great.. Keep up the good work ,,
Closed Thread