Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 08:34 AM   #1  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Default Thinking about trying....hmmmm...not yet sure...

Hello!

I have been all over the place on the so called "diet trail"..LOL.. trying to figure out just what will work for me and what will not. A while back (about a year) I bought a weight watchers hand held calulator. Now I never used it..been trying to simply count calories, really.

But I am beginning to feel that I need something easier, and portable to take with me to track my calories and then I remembered the calulator. But I am skeptical to try any new "diet plan" or "lifestyle change" ...I guess you can say I am just scared it won't work. It seems that after a couple weeks of anything if isn't working I give up!

My question is this.....is this working for you? how long have you been on weight watchers? do you find it easy and convenant? "sp" what about things like eating out, is that easy to do? Does this really help with portion control (my real problem)?

I know I have thrown alot of questions at you...but I really am trying to research this out before making the switch..

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckatgo
...I have been all over the place on the so called "diet trail"..LOL.. trying to figure out just what will work for me and what will not. A while back (about a year) I bought a weight watchers hand held calulator. Now I never used it..been trying to simply count calories, really.

But I am beginning to feel that I need something easier, and portable to take with me to track my calories and then I remembered the calulator....
You need more than just the W/W calculator to do W/W. There is much info so you an do the program correctly. You need to either 1) go to meetings or 2) join online or 3) purchase the 'AT HOME' program so you have all the materials.

Quote:
But I am skeptical to try any new "diet plan" or "lifestyle change" ...I guess you can say I am just scared it won't work. It seems that after a couple weeks of anything if isn't working I give up!
I hate to say this but it doesn't sound like you are really mentally ready to lose the weight. You want to because you want to look good but aren't ready to commit and take it one day at a time. Weight loss shouldn't be a quick fix. W/W is a lifetime change to make you not only thin but healthy. Average weight loss after the first 1-3 weeks is about .5-2 pounds with majority of people losing about 1 pound. However weight loss can be strange. YOu can follow a program perfectly and still show some weeks of maintains or even unexplained gains. You have to be willing to accept this and keep doing the program the way it was written. This is true for any program for weight loss because they all work (some not so healthy and some very healthy) but you have to work them for them to work for you. Which is why you need more than jus the calculator for W/W to work.

Quote:
My question is this.....is this working for you?
Yeppers even through my long (in excess of 6 month plateaus) I got to goal and am now maintainin.

Quote:
how long have you been on weight watchers?
Off and on since 1985 but on the Point System since 1998.

Quote:
do you find it easy and convenant? "sp" what about things like eating out, is that easy to do?
I find it very easy and with eating out for the most part yes is easy. However the points system is based on calories/fat/fiber content of food/items and if a restaurant doesn't provide that you may have to guesitmate the points or use another place with a similiar item that does give those nutritional facts so you can figure the points.

Quote:
Does this really help with portion control (my real problem)?
If you do the points since you will need to weigh and measure foods it does help you learn but the 'control' needs to come from within you just like the motivation.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #3  

What Kelly said...................and I just want to re-emphasise that unless you REALLY WANT IT and you are REALLY prepared to give it your full commitment, it won't work. However, if you stick to the program and give it your all, it will most definitely work. The issue is not whether the program works, but whether the person doing it works at it!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:57 PM   #4  
mom2cole

I was in the same boat as you were in, I have tried a variety of different diet plans and I almost just gave up and went to the doctor to have my thyroid and everything else checked because I thought I was doing everything right. Well, was I wrong!!! After checking out the weight watchers website and realizing it is not that expensive to join and you get weekly help and you eat your own food, I decided to give it a try. I asked my husband if he thought I was nuts and he said no, can't hurt to try. Well I am on week 5 now and I weigh in this Sunday and by then I should have hit my 10lb weight loss mark. The flex plan point system has been wonderful for me, I was eating way too much before and now I plan for my day to get the most for my points. But the one big thing for me is the accountability of having to weigh in each and every week. If I don't loose, I am more motivated to keep on top of the plan. I have only gained one week and that was only .4 lbs, but I lost is the next week. Give it a try, it works.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:08 AM   #5  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Thank you everyone for your wonderful, thoughtful replies...

I have tried everything under the sun..and I am about to just resolve myself to the fact that I will live my life 40 lbs overweight, the only thing that keeps me going is the fact I am so tired. And I know its the excess pounds. I am going to give it a shot...I have tried everything else. I think some of the problem is the disappoinment from trying all these other diets and seeing them fail after trying so hard to make it work, changing everything in my life, my hubby's eating (he'll go on the diet with me, just to support me...bless his sweetness....) only to have no luck what so ever. I would feel better, but no pounds off. Had all the blood and everything looked at from the doc..nothing..all normal...so, I will give this a good shot, work it for 10 weeks and see what happens..

Thanks everyone for your support, it is greatly appreciated....
Closed Thread