Old 05-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 147.6/145.4/130

Question How to break a plateau

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to break a plateau...Right now I am starting to cycle my calories and was wondering if there are any other tricks other people used that could also be helpful

MDust
mdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/128/120

change your exercise routine... thats always worked for me. Good Luck!
sun_kissed206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I did 2 days of eating nothing but eggs to break out of a plateau. I lost 4 lbs. and amazingly it stayed off. Plus, I restarted losing 1-2 lbs. per week every since. This is a drastic measure, and not for everyone, but it worked for me.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/270/165

When I lost my weight the 1st time....sighhhh. I would raise my carbs and calores for two days and then go back to induction 20 grams a day for the next week so that my body was thrown a little off and that broke it for me.
alextucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Is it really a plateau? How long has it been going on? If it's been a few weeks, are you doing anything different?

Especially if it's only been a couple of weeks and you aren't doing anything different than you had been, I would advocate to just keep doing what you're doing (if it was successful). In the absence of controlled experiments you can't easily determine cause and effect, anyway. So what we think may break a plateau may honestly have nothing to with it, as many break on their own. Most people don't lose weight in a linear fashion, and plateaus are often part of the process. Just not a fun part!

Last edited by Heather; 05-07-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 147.6/145.4/130

Default Hmm

Well....I've been on this plateau for at least 7 months now. I'll lose 2 lbs, then gain it back, then gain another 2 lbs, then lose it. Same pattern over an over again. I know my body is capable of getting down to 130 since I've been there before. But after breaking a 4-month long low-carb bodybuilder diet really ruined me
mdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

Definately my vote is for cycling. Do a couple days high and then a couple lower and try switching up your exercise routine and including more cardio...that should do the trick.
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #8  
Susan hockeyfan7

I read a really good book by Tom Venuto called Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. He suggested 3 days eating lower carb and then 1 day of high carb which I just started trying. We'll see how it goes.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #9  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

I started a plateau (not by choice) at the beginning of March. My weight didn't budge at all. Then at the beginning of April I got the stomach flu and lost 6 lbs. Since then my weight has been going up and down 2 lbs. Last week I decided to relax and eat more for awhile to take a break and just maintain my weight. I ate more calories and varied the amount each day. I even went out to eat at a mexican restaurant and drank 2 margaritas. So I wasn't necessarily "good" last week. So far my weight has been going down a little bit each day at a steady pace. I'm going to keep trying this since I've read that it works for many people on here. It may work for you also.

Another suggestion is to see if maybe you aren't eating enough. I never thought I would have to eat more than 1300 calories a day, but so far around 1500 is working for me. But we'll see how it works in the long run.

Sorry I can't really help you much more than telling you what I've been going through and what I'm trying. You should be happy about maintaining for those 7 months at the very least. That is a good accomplishment.
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

7 months is certainly a long time!! I know you said you were at a lower weight before, but it may be that your body doesn't really want to go back there, especially if "before" means when you were a teen or in your early 20s... sometimes our bodies change as we get older.

Course, I have no idea if that's true for you or not!

Or, it could be that you aren't doing the right combo of eating and exercise to lose... and I guess the "fun" part is figuring that combo out, right? easier said than done!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote