Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 05-06-2006, 07:15 AM   #1  
Running Babe

Default Baby Stuff

Hi All,

Just wondering, what necessities did you need when your babies were born?

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 09:30 AM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I needed "everything". LOL

There are lists that give everything from the bare bones minimum and up. I followed the advice of http://www.ninemonths.com.au/content...1_id=4&l2_id=5 which says "Buying in advance is advisable as once your baby moves in, time is suddenly much harder to find." and had a teething ring ready before his birth. LOL

http://www.childbirth.org/interactive/babyneeds.html has an interactive calculator that determines needs based on the birth season, feeding and diapering methods you choose.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:39 AM   #3  
resident lactivist

In all honesty, it depends. Really. But this is what I used:

2 packs of onesies (I use these as Esther's sole clothing a lot, but many folks don't.)
1 pack of Sleep & Play jumpers, to sleep in. (They come two to a pack.)
2 nightgowns
1 big package of diapers
1 pack of socks (My babies kicked these off even as newborns, though, so I usually give up putting them on after two or three days. )
2 hats, because plenty of people flip out when you don't have a hat on a newborn, even if it's 80 degrees.
2 receving blankets
SLING! Total lifesaver for when baby wants to be held all the time, and if this is your first baby you'll also get the bonus of hands-free baby carrying with about a thousand times the maneuverability of a stroller.

Of course, car seat too, but that goes without saying. I have an Evenflo Triumph V convertible carseat. I love it because it gets great safety ratings, is fairly cheap (paid only $120 for it here in HI), and unlike the majority of convertibles, it can be reclined into the same position as an infant carseat would sit. Most people prefer the typical infant car seat, with the bucket carrier that clips in & out of the car. They make me nervous, to be honest, and I've never had much use for them as carriers (my middle one, the only one whom we used one with, woke up whenever we moved her, and since she was 5lbs at birth the carrier essentially tripled her weight). Really, though, personal preference.

When it comes to 'furniture', all I've ever had use for is a bassinette and a swing. But I co-sleep, and have no compunctions about changing diapers whereever in the house, so I think I need a lot less stuff there than usual.

Your temperament will also come into play. I never minded going out fairly soon after birth to buy more things if I needed them, but a lot of people have a babymoon, a month or so where they stay essentially sequestered at home. If you suspect you'll be the latter, you'll need to have a lot more stuff.

Generally speaking, the two things I have found you can never have too many of are onesies (not just the cheapies that come four to a package, though they're great, but fancier ones you buy seperately) and receiving blankets.

Another thing I've never had a lot of use for is a diaper bag. I'm low tech that way too. I've got a fairly large purse, and three diapers and a small pack of wipes tuck in there just fine (I've never needed more than that), I could easily squirrel away a onesie in there too. I've never had a need for a bottle. For me, a diaper back was just a bigger black hole o'stuff.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:51 AM   #4  
Running Babe

Sabra: I think you psychically know the state of all my bags and purses... Completely filled with extra papers, not needed receipts etc I am scared my diaper bag will become the same thing My DF bought a lot of the non immediate stuff like the crib and high chair from a lady he runs with (and a glider which I love). He also got a change table in that deal, but to be honest if it wasn't in the deal, I probably wouldn't have purchased one. I want a sling too, a friend of mine sells Maya wraps, so I might order one from her. Admittedly though I do plan on getting a stroller as well though. Anyway thanks for the list!

Almost Heaven: Thanks for the links!!!

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:04 AM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

I honestly LOVED my infant carrier. After the car accident, I wasn't supposed to use it anymore, and he was pushing 20 lbs anyway so went ahead and moved on to the convertible Evenflo I had. But if you get something like the Gracco travel system, the infant seats are wonderful. You don't have to wake the baby up, and they clip right into the stroller. They do pack on the extra pounds to carry, but if you're a stroller junky like I was, you won't worry about "carrying" the seat around. Also, they double as a rocker and are very comforting to the baby. My travel system, with the one-hand folding, under 20 lbs, stroller was the best purchase for me.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:06 AM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

BTW, nix the diaper bag even if you want one (I couldn't get through the day without mine personally). But the hospital generally gives you a large one. I did away with the small one my mother got me and exclusively use the large Similac bag from the hospital. It came with a small cooler pouch for storing two bottles. I clean out and restock my bag everytime I get home. But then, when I go, I'm usually out the entire day, and a few diapers just won't do it for me.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #7  
resident lactivist

Oh, I have a stroller too. I have to, because sometimes my back won't let me use the sling. But the other two are old enough that they prefer to walk, so for things like going to the mall it's a hundred times easier to put the baby in the sling and let the girls walk, so we don't have to worry about waiting for the elevator (for some strange reason, the mall we go to 9 times out of 10 only has one elevator).
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:05 PM   #8  
Just Keep Swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBigMonsterMomma
SLING! Total lifesaver for when baby wants to be held all the time, and if this is your first baby you'll also get the bonus of hands-free baby carrying with about a thousand times the maneuverability of a stroller.
Yes! This! I still love my stroller, but there are times, it's just not feasable (i.e. getting groceries when you are already pushing a cart.. or just around the house for naptimes or if babe won't be put down, etc). I could never have done it w/o my sling. A bjorn-type is OK, too, but IME the sling is faaaaar more comfy for me and you can wear your baby well into toddlerhood up to 35 (I think) lbs.
zebrabelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:02 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

I would not have survived my colicky baby without a bouncy chair and a swing.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I am a planner by nature, so I made out a "list" with each pregnancy of items I wanted/needed-and it was very helpful to check things off as I bought them, or for when gift givers asked for suggestions-"What do you need?"

Some of the items that have been listed I used a lot, and other items listed here so far I did not use at all. Here is one of my VERY detailed lists of baby things...obviously, add or delete items as you see fit. I also find it easier to put them into categories for shopping purposes.

Bathing/Grooming:
~baby nail clippers
~baby washcloths-the little towel/washcloth sets are nice to have, but not necessary. I found the washcloths for babies necessary though-to get in between tiny fingers and toes. Our regular sized ones were always too thick.
~baby wash/shampoo
~baby lotion
~baby tub, or if you want to save money-they have large sponges that you put in the bottom of your tub to lay the baby on to bathe them.
~alcohol and cotton balls for caring for the umbilical cord stump
~baby hairbrush

Nursery:
~bassinet or crib for the baby to sleep in, and appropriate bedding with at least one extra sheet. All other decor and stuff is really optional.
~Baby monitor-I always have used these after the baby went from sleeping in my room the first couple of months, to sleeping in their own room. I felt better being able to hear them wake for a feeding, or in the morning, when they were stiring-rather than when they were already worked up and upset.

Diapering:
~Diapers! If you are using disposables, before the baby comes, have a pack of newborn sized, and a jumbo or mega pack or two of size 1 already at home. Then you won't have to run out with a week old baby to get diapers.
~Wipes-a couple packages of baby wipes as well. I like the unscented ones best for newborns, and the Lansinoh ones best for breast fed babies.
~Diaper Rash Cream-have it handy BEFORE you need it.

Medicine:
~Baby Orajel or Hyland Teething Tablets
~Baby Tylenol
~Thermometor

Travel:
~newborn rear facing car seat
~stroller-if you go for a smaller, umbrella style stroller-make sure that it reclines. Babies under 3 months can't really use a stroller that doesn't have a reclining seat due to their lack of head/neck control.
~Diaper Bag-I love a diaper bag, and usually have a large (for longer trips or overnight trips) and a smaller one (for a diaper, few wipes, and a toy for short trips).

Blankets:
~1 larger, heavier blanket for cold weather/going out for over the car seat or stroller
~a handful of thinner receiving blankets for general swaddling of a younger baby

Breastfeeding:
~a couple good nursing bras for you
~a good book on breastfeeding-read it while still pregnant
~a lanolin nipple ointment for you
~a box of nursing pads (Lansinoh ones are great!)
~a support pillow, such as My Brest Friend, or Boppy
~a handful of burp cloths
~a nursing cover (like Hooter Hider, L'oved Baby, etc.) or a nursing top (like Motherhood or Motherwear brand) for discreet nursing when you go out, if you are uncomfortable with exposing yourself in public.
~A breast pump, a few bottles, and a bottle brush if you plan on expressing milk for a caregiver now and then. (I love the Avent Isis and Avent system!)

Bottle Feeding:
~Bottle Brush
~6-10 bottles
~a handful of burp cloths
~a container or two of formula-discuss the brand with the doctor
~a bottle warmer if you plan in making formula in batches ahead of time and storing it in the refridgerator
~an insulated bottle holder/bag for keeping formula cold while traveling

Clothing:
~a handful of onesies, in newborn size, and the next size up
~a handful of socks/booties in newborn and the next size up
~a handful of footed sleepers in newborn and the next size up
~a newborn stretchie cap/hat
~Baby All or Dreft detergent for washing baby's things-or an unscented/uncolored regular detergent

All other cutesie outfits and shoes and all that are really extra...they don't need fancy clothes and shoes the first couple months.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

Helpful hint. If anyone is throwing you a shower, provide them with a list of items you don't already have then stop shopping until after the shower. I ended up with duplicates, sometimes triplicates.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Yes-this is very true! A lot of people will actually ask you, or the person throwing the shower what you need-and it is helpful if the hostess has the list. You can also register at Target, Wal-mart, BabiesRUs, and other places and give your registry info to the shower hostess.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:23 AM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

BTW, speaking of necessities, American Baby AMBY Awards is having a cash giveaway contest. If you email [email protected] with the subject "Here are the three products I can't live without!" and list the three baby products by June 30, 2006, you will be entered into the drawing.