Old 05-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #1  
Addicted to potato salad!

Default constipation - warning...I'm talking bowel movements, here!!

Hi there...I'm actually a Sugar Buster, after trying Atkins...VERY strictly sticking to it. (I almost broke down in tears one night, making bow tie pasta for the kids and absent-mindedly ate one to test if it was done yet...I felt like I'd poisoned myself!! )

Anyhow..I was on it for about two months...stayed on induction the entire time because after a 10 pound loss right off the top, weight lost completely shut down for the entire two month period. My problem was constipation. I mean, I was putting down loads of steak, bacon and eggs on one end and NOTHING coming out the other. I know...too much info...but then when the glorious day came for me to 'give birth', I bled and was in terrible pain! Seroiously. Not to mention my worries the it wouldn't make through my household plumbing!!

Needless to say, I flipped through the Atkins book, which I'd already read more than once, to see what they say and they suggested some flaky fiber flax stuff to put on a salad...which I couldn't find anywhere. So, at the end of my two months, Halloween came and I threatened my daughter with her life if she didn't hand over every single Almond Joy in her bag.

Shortly thereafter, I started Sugar Busters and have been relatively successful with that, but have hit a brick wall and want to go low/no carb for a few weeks to see if that will make my scale budge...BUT, I'm worried I'll have to do lamaze again to give birth to bowel movements. Any ideas?
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Is psyillium allowable? It's all the rage these days and easy to use.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:15 PM   #3  
Addicted to potato salad!

Well, Sugar Busters doesn't make me constipated because you're allowed lots of fruit and true whole wheat items in moderation (like, one or two servings a day). Sugar Busters isn't low carb...it's low sugar. BUT...as I said, I've hit a brick wall and am struggling with some sweet tooth issues, so thought I'd go Atkins induction to see if I can get rid of some of my addictions to carby things like my sweet tooth and caffiene.

I think I may check Walmart for the psyllium caps. That may be the trick for me. I didn't know of 3fatchicks when I was on Atkins...wish I had known you guys then!!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #4  
Princess to Be

S/C/G: 267/270/175

Try drinking more water, walking, or coffee. Also, if you can find ground flax seeds, you can mix it in burgers or sauces.
Tiffany_Bracelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/167.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Hello! and Welcome!
I'll tell ya, the first time I did Atkins I only lasted 3 weeks becaue I thought my husband was going to have to take me to the ER! I was that constipated! It took me over 6 months to try again. I take 3 fiber choice tablets everyday I've hear the benefiber is good too. I have been pretty much OK this time.
The flax seed you should be able to find in the cereal aisle. At least that' s were my Walmart has it.
If you could get past that and straighten out your system, I think you would love Atkins. I'm starting week 5 and still on induction. I don't even crave or want anything sweet. Never thought I'd make it through a trip to Dunkin Donuts to get my kids munchkins for school and not want any, but I couldn't even stand the smell of them!
Goodluck.
maggie
needtolose4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #6  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Here is what you do.....take either psyllium husk powder (1 tsp) a day in a shake form, or on your salad, or mixed in your eggs. You could also take metimucil, the sugarfree type. Also, take your flax seed oil suppliments every day. Everything will slide right on out
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I thought I had tried everything but dynamite. But will try the psyllium husks to see if they can help. 10 months on Atkins and still having this trouble. Funny thing is, before getting on Atkins, I took prescription Lomotil everyday for just the opposite problem. I get really uncomfortable with going a week at a time without a BM. If my husband goes one day without one, he thinks he's gonna die. I feel like an old lady in the nursing home worrying about needing to have a BM. LOL
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:19 PM   #8  
Princess to Be

S/C/G: 267/270/175

Does the flax interfere with the taste of the eggs? I know it changes the taste of the beef a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
Here is what you do.....take either psyllium husk powder (1 tsp) a day in a shake form, or on your salad, or mixed in your eggs. You could also take metimucil, the sugarfree type. Also, take your flax seed oil suppliments every day. Everything will slide right on out
Tiffany_Bracelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:32 PM   #9  

Default Same here

Hi, yes I had the same problem on Atkins. Felt like I was trying to get rid of a brick!!!. I have been to scared of trying it again. Some friends say drinking green tea works. Don't know if you can get it over there.
Regards, Neroli
fatkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/167/130

My secret is stool softeners. I also use Psyllium husks in my morning shake and I take Magnesium suppliments. It seems to work, because I was passing really hard stools and I would bleed every time. You might give it a try, I use Walmarts brand of stool softener. It beats the alternative. Judy
Born2run2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:07 AM   #11  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany_Bracelet
Does the flax interfere with the taste of the eggs? I know it changes the taste of the beef a bit.
if your using ground flax seed, it gives it a bit of a nutty flavour. I dont find the psyllium has any flavour, just gritty. I like it in my morning protein shake.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #12  

I take a T of phsylium husk in my shake every day. I also have the ground flax seed for the omega 3's.. Another possiblity that will clean you out, is Magnesium Citrate. I took 2 tablets as it says, and it give you mild diarreha. Take only one if you think you could have a sensitve reaction to it. If you look it up on line, that's what it's used for. Constipation. And it works! Be sure you have no where to go that day...
Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #13  
"On the road again...."

S/C/G: 300/290/160

Height: 5'5"

Maybe I am missing something but I drink LOTS of water and walk (though I have been a slacker this week!). I eat lots of salad, (at least once and sometimes twice a day). And I do not have this problem. In fact a few times after a particularly health (read spinach and lots of varied green veggies) I had the reverse problem. I do not have a BM everyday though. It is usually once ever other day. You are eating more of the things your body will use thus less waste.
Progressivly eating less over all. When I think of how much I use to eat....wow!
tammy1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #14  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I eat salad pretty much every day, drink lots of water and walk tons and still have the problem with constipation. I think that I might eat too much cheese. Which I love and am thankful that it is OK on this woe. I plan to get the psyllium husks next time I'm at Walmart. They sound a lot healthier for me than all the laxatives my doctor has prescribed. I don't use protein shakes and wonder what food I could add it to that would still taste good. Any ideas?
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 05:15 PM   #15  
Susan hockeyfan7

I put ground flaxseed in a lot of stuff -- eggs, burgers, quiche and I don't taste it at all. I also take the flax oil capsules every day. I sometimes use Benefiber just to get the fiber as well -- it has no taste and dissolves really well. I put that in my eggs too.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote