Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/275/170

Height: 5'10"

Default New Scale, Different Weight

I am so frustrated! DH & I go to Walmart & buy a new scale for me. Get it home and set it up, it weighs me in at 275! Noooo! My mom's scale weighed me at 265 last month. There is no way I gained ten pounds, especially when I've been doing so good on what I eat and starting to walk. So I wait til the morning and it brings me at 270. So do I just start over with my scale at 270 or do I wait to weigh myself on my mom's scale that showed 265? This is very discouraging. I'm only weighing myself once a month so I could wait to get over to my mom's, but what a bummer to see a higher weight on my scale.
kristine724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #2  
I restore Teeth.

are they all calibrated correctly?
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #3  

Yes, I believe so. My mom's is in good shape and she hasn't had it for too long. I adjusted mine last night and this morning. Still 5 lbs difference.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #4  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

My best suggestion would be to find something that weighs five or ten pounds (a bag of flour possibly) and see if that weighs it correctly! If so, then call it good! You also may want to check the same on your mom's scale... and then use the more accurate one
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #5  
Fit chick in hidding

S/C/G: 201/164.4/100 4'11"

I know how frustrating that is, my moms scale tells me I'm about 5# lighter than my new digital scale. Try to remember though even though weight is the easiest to measure it doesn't matter in the end. Inches matter, how your clothes fit matter, bodyfat matters, but the scale doesn't give you a good picture of any of these.

Also if you have been doing strength training you may have put on some muscle mass which will help you burn off the fat.
LuckySmyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #6  
Beth

S/C/G: 200/147/130

i would go with what someone on here sugguest. weight something else and see how close it is
azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Hi there!
Here are some thoughts on scales and relative value of scales. I found this information online, and you can go to http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/25554 for the entire thread and discussion. In accordance with forum rules, to make it easier for you, I will paraphrase just a very small part of this thread, because I think that what is said by the author (not me, unfortunately!) is really, really, relevant:

Scale" "accuracy" can mean many different things, and it might be useful to consider in more detail what you need. There are at least four different definitions that i can think of:

- stable - you put a weight on and the reading stays within some range while you look at the scale
- repeatable - you put the same weight on at different times and you get the same reading (with some error range)
- absolute value - you put a known weight on and get the correct answer (with some error range)
- precision - you get a readout to so many decimal places

for me, looking to monitor my weight (which is what i guess you might be doing too), the two important factors are stable and repeatable.

stable is tricky - if i move around on my scales, the value does change. but if i stand still and straight, it seems to be pretty stable. so i stand still and straight (no leaning over to one side to persuade it to say i'm lighter )

repeatability with simple mechanical scales (the cheap ones) is likely, in my opinion, to be pretty good, as long as you always use them in the same place, on a flat, hard floor, and check that the reading is set to zero before use (i check my weight every day, at the same time, in the same place, and it typically varies by about a pound, so my cheapo mechanical scales have a repeatability of about that - and i am amazed at some of the reports about people's weight fluctuating from day to day by amounts much more than that, but that's another issue...)

in particular, scales often have a printed warning about absolute accuracy - that they are only accurate to +/- 10 pounds, say. but for me that's not important. i measure my weight at the same time, in the same place, with the same scales, every day, and all that matters to me is the changes. i don't really care if i weight 140 or 200 - what i do care about is whether i have increased by 2 pounds. some scales with an accuracy of 10 pounds may, in practice, be repeatable to a pound or two.

now i don't know if that's the same for you. you might be needing absolute accuracy to compare with some medical requirements, for example. but it's at least worth mentioning, because repeatability tends to come at a much lower price than absolute accuracy, and for many uses repeatability is sufficient. and unfortunately, it's absolute accuracy that tends to be reported.

also, note that precision alone doesn't necessarily imply anything else. you might find that one minute you weight 200.000 and the next, 221.543 (taking an extreme example). there's nothing to stop someone sticking a high precision display on scales with poor repeatability, or poor absolute accuracy."

The bottom line is that you might want to weigh yourself like this author does -- at the same time, with the same clothes, in the same location, with the same scales -- in order to monitor your weight. Bouncing from scale to scale, each of which will have a different range of error, will lead to FRUSTRATION, DEPRESSION, and DAIRY QUEEN. Think of your weight as relative -- that is, last week I weighed X on this particular scale, and this week I weigh X-2.5 lbs. Forget the numbers for now IF you are bouncing from scale to scale, as the relative movement is what is important.
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:32 PM   #8  
rethinking myself...

S/C/G: 276/256/175

Height: 5' 11"

When I got my digital scale, it said I weighed 5 lbs less than my analog scale. My digital scale is extremely flaky. It varies by 15 lbs depending on how I place my weight, and the repeatability is terrible. For now, I'm trying my best to stand on the scale exactly the same way, and at the same time of day, on the same flat surface. As long as the numbers move down, I'm happy.

I'm happy to say I can't get the scale to read what it did when I bought it no matter how I place my weight on the scale, it just won't go that high anymore! That tells me I must have lost weight.

Someday I will spend some money on a good scale.
kittymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #9  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

i had the same problem.the scale in my bathroom says 196 but the scale in my parents bathroom say 199.weight scales vary.just go with one scale.i go with my scale :-)
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #10  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

You could start weighing on the new scale. Then when you get a chance, you can compare the two scales to see how much it's off. If your new scale measures higher, then it's not that you gained weight or lost less. You've still lost the same amount no matter what scale you are using.
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #11  

I'm going to stick with my new scale, and for the next month I'll weigh in once a week in the morning, before my shower then I'll get the consistency that I need.

The scale I bought is a nice analog and sturdy platform for me to stand on. I'll also put a 5lb bag of sugar or flour on my new one to make sure of the accuracy.

I know that I have lost a few inches, my pants are much looser around the waistband but I would also like to see the #s on the scale move lower as additional insentive to keep up the progress. Thanks for all your input!
Old 05-04-2006, 10:19 AM   #12  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

My olds scales were flaky to say the least. I could get on them one time and it would say one thing. Get off and back on and it would say another. It would drive me crazy that I would get three or four different readings! So bought new scales and love them! Even if they showed me 2 pounds higher than the old ones. I know 2 pounds may not seem like much but it was. Especially when I was working out, but it could have been worse. I was going to say, I woul djust stay with the new scales but I see you have decided to do that. I've heard form a lot that your clothes are the true indication of losing weight so...WTG on your clothes fitting looser! Keep up the hard work and you will see those scales/numbers go down to!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #13  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by freiamaya
Bouncing from scale to scale, each of which will have a different range of error, will lead to FRUSTRATION, DEPRESSION, and DAIRY QUEEN.
Thank you...I needed to hear that too. I'm guilty. I'll weigh on one scale and go to another at work just to see what it says. I usually end up feeling frustrated. I"m going to walmart tonight and buy myself a scale. and that's the only one I will use. Good advice. Thanks!!!
mel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #14  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtaTJac
My best suggestion would be to find something that weighs five or ten pounds (a bag of flour possibly) and see if that weighs it correctly! If so, then call it good! You also may want to check the same on your mom's scale... and then use the more accurate one
That's what I did. Because my doctor's scale always showed me 5-7 pounds higher than my home scale. Granted, when I go to the doctor I'm weighed while clothed and I've most likely eaten by then, so I take that into consideration. But the other day I went in for a check-up. My scale showed me at 139. My doc's scale showed me at 147. So what I did was went and grabbed one of my husband's hand weights, a 25-pounder. I got out my scale. I turned it on (it's a digital) and laid the weight down onto it.

25 pounds exactly.

So my scale's right and the doc's is wrong!!! Pbbbbbbttttth!!!!!!!!!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:46 PM   #15  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

This is what happend to me a few weeks ago when I bought a new scale. My new scale showed me 3 pounds more then my old one. Now I know 3 pounds isnt much but it was for me. Those 3 pounds where really hard to work off. So what I did was the same as some of you said. I took a 3 pound weight to see which scale was correct and it was my new one. So I just made my starting weight 3 pounds more. Now I know that my new scale is correct and I know for a fact how much I weigh. It's good to know because whenever I go to the doctor the scale always makes me weigh more. I know this is because of clothes and the different time of the day.
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote