Old 05-02-2006, 04:48 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Question Kind of a personal topic...need advice!

So, I've been REALLY backed up the past couple of months...if you know what I mean!! I decided it was because of all the processed foods, like Lean Cuisine, that I was eating and that I wasn't drinking enough water.
So, about 3 weeks ago, I changed my eating habits. I'm drinking a ton of water, eating lots of fruit and lots of vegetables. I eat high fiber bread. Things were finally coming along normally the first week. But, now I'm back to where I was before and it is NOT comfortable!! LOL
So, does anyone have ANY ideas on what I can do to be more "regular"? I was thinking of trying the Citrucal or Metamucil caplets, but I don't know if that will work or not and they're like $11 a bottle!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Go to your local nutrition store and buy some digestive enzymes (like papaya). Take one (some are chewable) with each meal. That should help without having to take laxitives (laxitives are bad).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Okay, in the spirit of freely-shared TMI

When I changed my eating and started eating a lot of healthier, I had a couple of months where my system was just a mess - too much, too little, gas, etc etc. It eventually did get better and now I'm very happy in that department.

A breakfast that I found to be "effective" - high fiber cereal (kashi go lean crunch or oatmeal with dried fruit (2-3 chopped prunes/dates/dried blueberries), walnuts/almonds), cup of black coffee.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #4  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

In addition to the fiber rich delicious foods Glory mentioned I would also recommend plenty of exercise. Especially certain types of cardio each day. I discovered that power walking and jogging really help to keep me regular.

Maybe it is all in my head. But it really seems as if it has made a difference.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #5  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Strong black coffee (preferably espresso) works for me nearly every time - particularly if I add a bit of sweetener.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #6  

I use Benefiber with Calcium. It isn't gritty, has no taste, and dissolves completely. I haven't had so much as bloat since I started using it. All of the fiber tablets I tried were like horse pills and I could never swallow the darn things! If you are in pain and can't wait for nature to take its course you could try a glycerin suppository. I know, I know, but they work!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #7  
LLV

2 years later I STILL get that every now and then. I just wait till it passes and if it's uncomfy enough, I take an oral laxative.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

Here's what I do everyday to make sure things move smoothly:
-drink lots of water
-eat high fiber foods-- fruits, veggies, high fiber cereals
-sprinle psyllium husk in my cottage cheese. Husk is basically the whole form of metamucil/citrucel.
-wake up every morning with enough time to allow myself to have a hot beverage (caffeine helps get things moving)-- i check my email and after a few sips I am ready to go. i seriously feel like the day is not right if i do not do this.

sidenote-- i one time went for almost 2 weeks without BM-ing... constant travel and always waking up in a new place with a new routine does that to you.
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #9  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have had this same problem for the past 10 months. Often going 7-10 days at a time without any relief. My doctor just kept increasing laxatives and they weren't helping much. I had surgery last week for scar tissue in 10 different areas plus 2 hernia's and I'm praying that once I'm off pain pills that I will start to be more regular. This has been a real problem while trying to lose weight and makes me very uncomfortable. I was on Lactulose 30cc's daily, Milk of Mag 60 cc's daily and Colace 3 capsules daily. I truly blame this particular physician because I kept telling him something was wrong and this was totally not normal for me. I think my low-carb lifestyle could be contributing also and have decided to try the psyllium husks that several people have recommended. Sometimes when I go a week without a BM, I won't see a weight loss til the following week no matter how strict I am on my food plan and daily cardio workout.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:40 AM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Ground flax seed is also good, plus adds some omega-3's to your diet. I agree about the exercise - some good solid running or fast walking works well for me. Also don't forget about prunes, and I also find that fresh corn has some laxative properties - at least for me.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:21 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

A daily spoonful of flax seed oil is not only good for you, but it does the trick!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:33 AM   #12  
Teapot Diva-short & stout

The Kashi cereal is good and I have found the Benefiber caplets helpful. BJF
BridgetJFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #13  
Jaded Lady &amp; Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

2 metamucil capsules a day seems to work (for me anyhow) --- loosing the weight has tossed my system into a whirlwind as well - even my TOM got messed up. Everyone says it will all even out you just have to get the rest of you to catch up to the new healthier you

http://www.metamucil.com/
Cafe Ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:38 AM   #14  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I second psylium husks - the plain kind not the kind in the store that has sugar or artificial sweetener in it. I mix a teaspoon with a glass of water and drink it every day. It doesn't taste great but it's much better than the alternative. Also to reiterate what others said - More Water, Lots and lots of water.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #15  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy
I second psylium husks - the plain kind not the kind in the store that has sugar or artificial sweetener in it. I mix a teaspoon with a glass of water and drink it every day. It doesn't taste great but it's much better than the alternative. Also to reiterate what others said - More Water, Lots and lots of water.
I agree about psyllium husk powder. I get mine from Trader Joe's - also the plain kind. I've found a more palatable way of taking it. I make a "shake" of 1 tbsp. psyllium husk powder, 1 scoop of chocolate Citrucel Fiber Shake, 1 cup nonfat milk and blend it in my drink blender. It gets rid of all the grainy stuff in the psyllium. You need to drink it fairly quickly as it gets thick fast. The chocolate Citrucel makes it taste like a thick, rich chocolate milk shake. The milk & Citrucel makes it about 140 calories - so I have it instead of a snack if I'm having trouble "going". It's important to remember to drink one or two glasses of water right away afterwards. Drinking at least 8 x 8oz glasses of water a day also helps to keep things "moving".

If you try this I would recommend you use half the amounts of psyllium and Citrucel at first as sometimes too much fiber when you're not used to it can cause worse consitpation.

You could even try the orange flavored Citrucel and make an "Orange Julius"! I don't usually consume things with artificial sweeteners, etc., but I only have these shakes occasionally.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote