Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-28-2006, 08:01 PM   #1  

Default looking healthy?

Hello, I am at my goal weight and have been there for about 2 months or so. I eat very healthy or whole foods most of the time. I am not a vegatarian.

My question is that I have noticed lately that my skin and hair are just not looking that great. They are rather dull, dry spots, some breakouts, and HUGE, major black circles under my eyes. Now I have always had dark circles since I was a kid, and my kids have them too, But now it literally looks like I have 2 black eyes, and make up only helps a little.

I am healthy and my energy is decent. Could I be deficient in something? Honestly, unless there was something good for me in all the crap I used to eat, I don't understand what it could be. I eat way more veggies, fiber, vitamins etc, than I used to.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially about the dark circles.
LucyGoosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:05 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

First, congratulations for reaching your goal weight!

Your best bet is probably to go to your doctor and have him perform some tests to make sure all your levels are ok. Maybe you have some nutrient defficency, but it would be hard trying to guess since every body is different.

Good luck!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

This is another reason I like fitday.com. I can get reports on lots of aspects of nutrition. Without a multivitamin, I'm consistantly deficient in a couple of nutrients. I pretty sure that in the long run, I would probably have some symptoms if I didn't take the multivit.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:47 PM   #4  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

My family also has very dark circles under the eyes and I'm pretty sure it's hereditary. I found this article at....
http://allergies.about.com/od/darkci...a/aa071304.htm and thought it may help you try to pinpoint the cause...

Quote:
Top 8 Causes of Dark Circles Under the Eyes
From Judy Tidwell,

Most People Inherit the Tendency for Dark Circles
Black or dark circles under or around the eyes can be caused by many different factors. The following are the most common causes of those unattractive dark circles.

HEREDITY
Like varicose veins, dark circles under the eyes are usually an inherited trait. If you have dark circles, there is a good chance that others in your family also have them. The skin under the eye is very thin. When blood passes through the large veins close to the surface of the skin it can produce a bluish tint. The more transparent your skin, also an inherited trait, the darker the circles appear.

EXPOSURE TO THE SUN
Even in darker skinned people, exposure to sunlight, especially during the summer months, can cause a higher-than-normal level of skin pigmentation (melanin) under the eyes. People get sun tans because exposure to the sun increases the natural pigmentation of the skin and draws that pigmentation to the surface.

ALLERGIES, ASTHMA and ECZEMA
Any condition that you have that causes your eyes to itch can contribute to darker circles under the eyes because rubbing or scratching the skin can darken the skin. Hay fever sufferers particularly will notice under-eye "smudges" during the height of the allergy season. Some food allergies can also cause the area under the eyes to appear darker.

MEDICATIONS
Any medications that you are taking that causes blood vessels to dilate, can cause circles under the eyes to darken. Because the skin under the eyes is very delicate, any increase blood flow shows through the skin.

NUTRITION
The lack of nutrients in the diet, or the lack of a balance diet, can contribute to the discoloration of the area under the eyes.

FATIGUE, LACK OF SLEEP
A lack of sleep or excessive tiredness can cause paleness of the skin, which again allows the blood underneath the skin to become more visible and appear more blue or darker.

PREGNANCY and MENSTRUATION
The skin can also become more pale during pregnancy and menstruation, which again allows the underlying veins under the eyes to become more visible.

If you have a propensity to have dark circles under you eyes, as you grow older, they are likely to become more noticeable and permanent. Excess folds of skin under the eyes will also make dark circles more pronounced.
chaoskitty is offline   Reply With Quote