Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-28-2006, 12:23 AM   #1  
Pound by Pound

Height: 5'4"

Default I'm GAINING weight??

Yep, that's right -
I've GAINED 10 lbs over the last 2 weeks and I just can't figure out what I'm doing or not doing!

Backing up 2 weeks ago ... My DH & I have a business and I decided that I wanted to start working out in the field (land surveying) b/c I thought it would be good exercise and that it would also help with my continued weightloss - for the 1st couple of days everything was fine, I lost 2 lbs - just like that! But now I seem to be gaining at a rate of almost A POUND A DAY!!

WTH? I'm more active than I've been in 20 yrs ... how can this be happening?

Anyone have any ideas??

** ETA ** :: A brief background ... I've bounced back and forth between 'Counting Calories' and 'Portion Control' ... During this time that I've been gaining I haven't really changed what I've been eating ... Could this be the problem? Since I'm more active should I decrease or increase my intake? Sorry so many Q's, but I've never fully understood the whole 'in & out' thing ... Maybe that's what I need, a 'Dummies Guide' so that I'll know what I'm doing!

I'm just so frustrated and that scares me just as much as gaining back the weight.
** Stacye ** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It's going to be okay - it's very unlikely that you gained 10 lbs of fat in 2 weeks, that would require eating a surplus of 35,000 calories. My weight can vary up to 5 lbs just with my period. If you add my period with some salty food, I wouldn't be surprised if the number would go higher (which is one of the reasons I stay OFF the scale the week before my period).

You are doing great, you've lost almost 100 lbs! A 2 week fluctuation is a small blip on the weight loss journey. Keep eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, healthy grains, lean protein, healthy fats, around 1600-1800 calories a day (depending on your own age/gender/weight/height/activity level - I found a smaller calorie deficit worked better for me, eating more instead of eating too little). Here's a calculator if you are interested in the "in/out" thing

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cal...ulator/NU00598

Drink lots of water, keep moving and weigh yourself again in 2 more weeks!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:26 AM   #3  
I restore Teeth.

I'm sure a good part of it is water weight, like glory said, you cant put on that many lbs of fat in 2 weeks!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Two weeks is really a relatively short time for assessment of a lifestyle change like you're talking about here. Patience may be a virtue here again (drat!)
My alarm signals go up when folks say things like
I've bounced back and forth between 'Counting Calories' and 'Portion Control
and
I haven't really changed what I've been eating

You've been busy and your life has taken a turn. It's easy to let little things slide during times like that. I know that when I'm busier, I'm hungrier too. If you're struggling ... be a little more mindful, measure, count.
You obviously know what you're doing! You'll be fine.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/167/124

What an awesome job you've done already! I'm with the other gals, I don't think that you could gave gained fat in that amount of time. Don't be scared - fear is so destructive. Continue to look at what you've accomplished and be determined to keep on going! I'm so encouraged by what you've done!
babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:15 AM   #6  
Pound by Pound

THANKS to all of you for your advice and support!

I knew that there had to be a logical explaination and that I couldn't have actually gained 10 lbs of fat back in 2 wks - but when I was trying everything and the only thing that I was seeing where pounds adding up on the scale ... I started to panic. *But* we're all good now b/c since my original post I've dropped 8 lbs ... OF FLUID! LoL

I'm now 100% sure that it's been nothing more than water retention ... While I've been working outside I've not been drinking nearly enough water and my body's been reserving everything it's gotten ahold of ...
"Lesson Learned" ... For the last 4 days I've had no less than 80 ounces of water ... I'm happy about that and body seems to be happy too!

Thanks again ladies ... and Congrats to you all for your amazing success!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:32 AM   #7  

what a wondeful weight loss i hope i do as well as you!
toofatforu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:41 PM   #8  
Pound by Pound

Thank ya 'Too' ... You're doing great! You just have to believe in yourself and not give up! I know, I know ... I sounded a little beaten in my post - but I've never once thought about stopping, we all have little bumps in the road!

Are you following a certain plan?
If you're ever in need of a buddy or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me!