Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #1  

Default why is there ALWAYS some work party?

I don't even want what's being offered, yet I always feel funny not going over to the food. There's always someone coming around urging people over and to be honest, I don't want the sweets. I notice other people don't jump at the stuff, yet being the only person who's recently lost a large amount of weight, I'm so paranoid someone's going to say something about a "diet" or something. Ugh, so many issues surrounding food and weight... so touchy.
I'm trying to maintain my weight loss (not lose), but I realize that I need to be vigilant for the rest of my life. I eat sweets, just not so indiscriminately. If I ate something at EVERY work party, I'd be right back where I started! I'm a "calorie counter", so no foods are really off limits, but still, I want my REAL food lunch! aaargh! LOL
I guess this is really a nonissue, because I don't really want the stuff, but it's annoying b/c it's CONSTANT! LOL
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

I feel for you. At my last job, I was constantly bombarded with cake and other goodies (that's where I gained a lot of my weight). Food is less of an issue where I currently work. What's kind of funny is that I've refused food so much that my coworkers have learned not to offer me certain things anymore (chocolate, pizza, cookies). Just last week, one of my coworkers actually gave me an apple because he knew that's something I would eat. It can feel a little weird to be singled out and treated differently in regard to food, but I appreciate not having the temptation right in my face.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #3  

You know, I was just thinking...
in the past, did I even really want the sweets all the time then? Or was I just eating them w/o thinking? It's an interesting thought. Sometimes I REALLY want something sweet, so I have something, b/c I know the urge is NOT going to go away. But for the most part, it seems like it would be an automatic kind of thing, like fulfilling some social obligation. Know what I mean?
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #4  
I restore Teeth.

wow, companies have money these days to spend on work parties? surprising! Kudos to you, for your resistance! Sweets just appeal to many.. I know, I used to think, wo, theyre gonna have krispie kremes over someplace! And now, its like, "wait? You're going just because there's krispy kremes?"
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/167/124

This morning my boss came in and announced that there were donuts in the breakroom for everyone! I'm really stressed today and it has taken every bit of will power not to go in there. I know that they're not insensitive, they just want to be nice, but they just don't get it. Or maybe I don't...
babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

it is hard. i hate when people offer me sweets. usually i don't turn them down but i do try to watch my portions. this past friday, we had a breakfast. we ended up with 7 dozen krispy kreme donuts. the best donuts in the world. but i didn't have a single one. i was sooooo proud of myself.

but at least we did have fruit with breakfast. so that was nice.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:27 PM   #7  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

I know what you mean! I'm a grad student, and my department is always having workshops and seminars with lots of free Before I started watching my food intake, I would go with all my coworkers and indulge BIG TIME (college student mentality, going after food because it's free!) Now the seminars seem like more of an annoyance than anything...a lot of times if there's one of those things I'll eat my prepackaged lunch and then go over to socialize, while working hard to ignore the food table.
crk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:06 PM   #8  

There's always goodies in our kitchen. I don't want to eat it so I ignore it. I've done SB and lost all carb cravings.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:28 PM   #9  
Girl Trying

S/C/G: 5'4" CW: Unknwn 140? STGW: 125

I am so afraid of craving sweets that I have never even HAD a Krispy Kreme donut. I refuse to find out what Im missing! I have almost always denied myself dessert stuff, its the "real" food that gets me - having too much of it. I am always thinking about yummy foods :O( , particularly take out like thai and pizza. At work events it is easy for me to resist cake, but if they had something like guacamole or mini quiches, I would have a HORRIBLE time resisiting, in fact Id probably fail miserably. Thankfully they never have stuff like that at this place LOL. Its always cake and ice cream.
PeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #10  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Our work has cake once a month for birthdays. For the past two months (maybe 3 now) I havn't had a piece. And when I look around I see I am not the only one not eating it.

We also sometimes have TGIF parites, with chips, and cheese and crackers and meat ANNND booze. Now wouldn't it be nice to have a Vex or Mikes or something on a Friday afternoon at work.. but the calories in those - might as well have a piece of cake. I even made it thru the last party without touching anything.

YES IT IS SO HARD! especially when it is dinner time and everyone is munching away. But in the end it will be worth it. Sometimes all the programmers go for ice cream and we always get invited. I always say no and then the guy who always invites usally makes some "F+++ YOU! We didn't want you anyway" comment - of course he is joking and of course it doesn't hurt my feelings. He actually reads my blog and knows I am trying to lose weight.

But long story short. After you pass it up a few times it gets easier and easier. And just remember - it is your life you are changing. If someone offers you something you don't have to take it and you can't hold it against them either. AND if you really feel you have to take, simply take it and throw it away when no one is looking.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:07 PM   #11  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

I got your krispy kreme donuts beat....In the south we (my company) have a thing when someone make a bet the pay off is donuts and pastrys from a place near by...Ladies this is HOME MADE!!!!!! and some of the best stuff you ever put in your mouth I just say no and keep walking....The summer time also bring lots of cookouts to...I was good for the last one. I ate my low fat soup and peaches and was very happy I did not eat.....
la3y_un1c0rn_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #12  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Can't remember where I read it (somewhere here - and there are varations of it):

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels."
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #13  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I had to get a cake for someone last week, but I also got a bunch of strawberries so people had a choice. I understand a lot of people like to celebrate with cake, but it is nice to give everyone a choice so they can be involved but not have to eat something they don't want to. Maybe you can talk to whoever gets the food and ask them to include some fruit or something?
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:48 PM   #14  
with my mind on my monkey

My boss's friend regularly comes for lunch, and without fail, he brings a cake from a local bakery. In a purely Pavlovian response, my coworkers see him and say, "What'd you bring? Where's the cake?"

I consider myself a sugar addict, so I always abstain from the goodies he brings (despite the haranguing of my peers). The one time he brought a fresh fruit platter so that I would feel included, everyone booed and hissed. That was the last of the fruit!!!
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:05 PM   #15  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbye Chubby
Just last week, one of my coworkers actually gave me an apple because he knew that's something I would eat.
Maybe you've started a new trend.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote