Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-23-2006, 11:20 AM   #1  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

Angry Why Does my Family do this?

I've told my entire family that I'm FINALLY ready to change my life. But I also told them I need all the help I can get...

My parents knew I was coming over this morning, they knew I was planning on helping my sister with a school project and would be here all day. They invited me to lunch, and I asked for something healthy, they said no problem.

So I walk in the door and my mom and sister are baking brownies, and offer the bowl for me to lick. (Yes, sick and sad... I would have normally taken that offer!)

So I'm hiding in my high school bedroom with my trusty lap top, avoiding the brownies. I will have one small one, because I won't cheat myself that much! But I am trying so hard to avoid this temptation!

How do you deal with this? How do you eat just a small portion of these wonderful yummy, horrible for you foods?
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:30 AM   #2  
South Beach Life Style

Do you have to be at your parents house today,? can you take your sistrer somewher else to work? That was very rude and unsuportive of your family. I have found that Family is the ones Who cant seem to deal with the weight loss and the life change, I think a lot of people are envious, because WE are making a change and they have not.. I dont know But you are doing very good for not eating the pan of brownies.. Take Care and I hope you the best day.
MsCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:31 AM   #3  
Mel

Personally, I don't eat them 99% of the time. After almost 5 years of avoiding foods made from white flour, sugar and other non-nutritive ingredients, they make me physically sick even though my tongue still likes them. I always travel with alternatives- fruit, natural peanut butter, a chicken breast, cut vegies. I pack them in a soft sided cooler wo I can eat them if I need/want to, or just take them home again.

Bring your own food if think your family isn't going to have what you want to eat. Tell them you are doing an experiment for a while to see if you feel better eating differetly. I find that no one is insulted as long as I explain that I'm doing this because certain foods or additives are causing me problems. Telling everyone else that what they are eating is unhealthy is usually a source of conflict, tho

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #4  
I've had a rough week...

Thanks Ladies

I don't think my family was *trying* to be rude... my dad lost over 100 pounds in the last year (due to health problems and the strong realization that he NEEDED to lose weight or he was going to die.) and he lost it while still letting everyone eat what they wanted. So I think that they think if he did it, so can I...

I am taking my sister out to the library to finish her project! So I just have to push through a few more minutes...
Old 04-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #5  
Determined

I would try being up front with them. They may not realize how their actions affect you. I know some families try to out and out sabatoge, but I think many just don't think about it.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:41 AM   #6  
No description available.

If you can't just have a small piece (because it will start a binge, make you feel guilty, or is not part of your plan), just say "no thanks". You already know what they taste like...they may taste good, but they will add nothing new to your life today. Great strategy about getting out of the house!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #7  
I restore Teeth.

yup. She's right. JUST SAY NO! (thanks)
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife
You already know what they taste like...they may taste good, but they will add nothing new to your life today.
This is what I tell myself frequently (and it works!).

Don't think of it as saying "No" to the brownie, but saying "yes" to your new lifestyle.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #9  

Height: 5'8.5"

I agree with others here... just say "no thanks." There are ALWAYS going to be temptations and people who unintentionally try to sabotage our new eating style. They probably just wanted to share the yummy brownies with you.

And I don't eat just a small amount of them; I don't eat them at all. Regardless of WHO wants me to. I try to be as polite as I can about it... but I will NOT put them into my mouth.

We can't control the behavior of others... but we CAN control ourselves!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:35 PM   #10  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

You can do it!

I see you're just beginning... your family might take a while to adjust to your behavior. How did they deal with your dad? Maybe he could offer you some tips?

TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:45 PM   #11  

What I've found to be true is that most people offer food the way they offer gifts - they just want to give you something "good" that you will enjoy. Telling them "no thanks" is, to them, like when you say "You shouldn't have!" to a gift. To them, it's just polite words, they think you don't really mean it.

It's just what they say ... "Old habits die hard." I'm sure in time your family will see how serious you are and hopefully they'll learn some new habits!

And congrats on being strong. You deserve a big pat on the back!
RachelGoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:05 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

Good message, Rachel! Well said!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:16 PM   #13  
I've had a rough week...

Thank you Ladies

I can tell I'm going to love this website! I know my family was not intentionally trying to sabotage me, they just plain don't know any better!

Man, I wish these pounds came OFF as easily as they came ON!
Old 04-24-2006, 05:35 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 150/133/124

Height: 5'3"

my family doesn`t seem to "get it" either. although its not about my weight loss, but rather about my vegetarian diet. i have been veggie for about 6 years and they still don`t seem to get it. they wanna go eat at steak houses and always serve huge platters of meat on holidays. they never make any effort to cook something i might enjoy (as might everyone else). so, i usually end up eating a lot of side dishes and then raiding the cupboards when i get home, or cooking something for myself. i think thier atitude was more of defiance. my mother is convinced that human beings cannot be healthy unless thier diet consists of 80% meat, 15% potatoes and the rest some veggies and fruit. and therefore, she thinks she will somehow starve me out of being veggie by not supporting my decision at family gatherings, even though i consider being veggie one of the greatest desicions (along with losing the extra 30 lbs i have picked up eating too many of those side dishes) i made for my health. she has told me all my life that vegetarians are sickly, when ironically, i am the one who is never ill. even though she is a nurse and works with patients who have had heart attacks, she still feels this way, even though current medical findings will contradict a diet that is low in fruits and veggies and high in fatty red meats. shes just "old school" meat and potatoes, i guess. i think sometimes people are not aware of thier actions. certainly, your mom didn`t mean to alienate you. she was probably offering you the bowl because thats what she has always done. my mom always did too. i`m sure that if you asked her not to do things like that, it will eventually sink in. you are making a big change for yourself and your family has to adjust as well. its taken my family 6 years just to accept the idea that i will probably never eat meat again. hopefully, your family will pick up on things a little faster. i think it just takes time for them to see you are serious about this.
meeegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:58 AM   #15  

Hi all,
My family seems to go to the other extreme when i'm visiting. Instead of throwing baked goods at me they run around saying "can you eat this? How about this? Can you eat at that restaurant? How about this one? Do you want some more fruit? Is this ok?"

Their good intentions always end of stressing me out. I don't want to feel singled out for the way i eat. I can pretty much always find something healthy to eat when i'm at a restaurant (and i'm not afraid to make 10 substitutions if i have to) and if i'm at home i usually bring some healthy things that i can enjoy. All their attention and questions of "can you eat this, can you go eat here?" always make me feel awkward. I think it just makes me feel like i'm on some strange diet rather than just trying to live a healthier lifestyle.

I really appreciate all their support. They are so wonderful and always really encouraging. Really it just makes me feel so "obsessed" with food when they're always asking me about it and i just want to at least PRETEND i have a normal relationship with food. I think i have to work on being less stressed by their "help" and in turn they will probably feel more relaxed about the fact that i will speak up if something is wrong.
Miss DC is offline   Reply With Quote