Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-19-2006, 09:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default It's Worth Perservering With Meds

I've posted here a few times and I read because it took a couple of tries for me to find the right med. Then I still thought that I could maybe get off it once in a while. I also have posted that it's probably harder to lose weight when I'm on them.
Well ... I've had some clarity of thought lately.
I feel sooo good lately. There's lots of things happening in my life (wedding, house sale, adult child moving faaarrr away, staffing changes at work) but I'm OK. I'm accomplishing things anyway. I'm cleaning and painting and eating well and exercising. I've been (comfortably) to some social functions. And I am losing weight!
The moment of clarity it this ... I've been on the med (the one I knew worked) for about 2 months. Remember the Doc telling you it could be six weeks before you noticed a real difference? I do. I was impatient many times. But this time, we've been so busy, the time just flew. But he was right. I feel good now.
And no ... it's not harder to lose weight. You just have to be patient. When you feel good, you feel good enough to do all things .... normal household duties, work, eating well, exercise ... all of it.

For those of you who don't know me ... this is the 4th med I've tried and actually the second time I've tried it.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #2  

Height: 5'9

Oh, it's definately worth perservering. I've been on so many medications since I was 13 years old. Zoloft, wellbutrin, prozac, celexa, paxil, effexor, tegretol, depacote, xanax, buspar, as well as some others. It took me over ten years to find a combination that made me feel "normal". I've been on Lexapro, Seroquel and Trileptal for 2-3 years now and I've never felt better.
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #3  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

You're so right! Good meds can change your life. And thanks for the reminder about how long some meds take to work. Glad to hear that you're doing well.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 06:53 AM   #4  

Bump.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

It is definitely worth persevering through to find the right meds and for them to become fully effective. It has been several years worth of drugs for me but I just started a new combination (one old one & one new one) that is working amazing!!! If I hadn't stuck with it I never would have found out how wonderful it can be to feel like a human and be living effectively. Vibrancy is the best word I can use to describe where I am now!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:32 AM   #6  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

I've been on three. And they either stopped working, didn't work, or the side effects killed me more than being depressed. I stoped taking Welbutrin about a week ago, and I've been okay. I still sleep up to 12 hours at a time, but other than that I'm not too bad. Still have no motivation to do anything... Okay, so I could be better. But I'm not depressed as long as I don't think about it. Well, have to see what the doc says tomorrow.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:31 AM   #7  

Lifeguard ... I hear ya. I didn't know how badly I was feeling until I really started to feel better.