Old 04-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #1  
No More Excuses!

S/C/G: 240/225/165

Height: 5'6"

Default water weight..?

Ok Ladies.. I calculated my calorie intake vs my calories burned and it says i should have lost about 4lbs by now. I havent lost ANYTHING so im assuming its waterweight from my birthcontrol meds. What i was wondering is if there is anything i can do to get rid of it. Ive been drinking about 64-96oz of water a day becuase i heard increasing water would get rid of it.. but maybe because its from my Birthcontrol it wouldnt help. I really dont know but im getting really upset about this. Im trying so hard and in over a week i havent lost anything.. Thanks guys
Marineswife85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #2  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Sodium makes you retain water...
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #3  
No More Excuses!

I dont really have a big sodium intake tho. Not more than normal anyway. I dunno..
Old 04-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #4  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Watch your sodium and increase your water to 1/2 your weight in water--so 107 ounces a day AT LEAST. Try it, it works. Look at your fitday for sodium. I looked at a couple of days and they looked high sodium to me. Run your reports and then go to Custom Nutritional Goals (well if you have them set up anyway). If you are over 2400 or so for sodium, you are high. You have to stay away from processed foods (lunchmeat, chili, etc) to control your sodium. Good luck!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #5  
dgpebbles

from what I can tell from your fitday is that your not eating enough...1200 calories is not enough...I weight 170 and I'm eating anywhere from 1400-1700 calories and I'm losing between 1-2lbs per week...I try to average 1500..so try eating more and try to eat more protein also...your body is starving and not getting enough which makes it hold on to everything you eat
dgpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #6  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

How long have you been on bc?
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #7  
No More Excuses!

I just started taking this BC a week ago. Before that i had been off it for about a year. The stuff i read online said that some women do tend to hold on to some excess water in the beginning, which can cause temporary weight gain. And a few people i talked to said they had the same problem.. Basically i just want to know if theres anything (Besides sodium) I can do to get rid of it. I havent changed my sodium at all and before this i wasnt retaining any water so i dunno..
Old 04-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #8  
No More Excuses!

As for the foods ive been eating.. Alot of the time, as with the Chili I made last night, instead of putting each individual thing in, i just put what fitday says. I made it from scratch, and didnt add excess salt or anything, so i really dont think its as acurate as it should be you know what i mean? I do still eat some processed foods i probably shouldnt (cheese nips etc) but sometimes, esp with a 18 month old, i dont have the time to sit down and really make anything. I dont do that often however. I try to eat fresh fruits and veggies. THe last couple days my husband and I have splurged on things we normally wouldnt just as a treat. (pizza, popcorn etc)
I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me. Im going to try to increase my calories (ive gradually been trying to the past few days if you look at my fitday, its just hard because i havent had much of an appetite) Im going to try to average out at about 1400-1500.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:45 PM   #9  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

If you just started to hold in the water it just might be the bc. In that case i would wait it out a few weeks to see if it changes. Your body is just getting used to the new hormones and such. It needs time to adjust. Basically your body is trying to act like it's pregnant. If it doesn't go away, you might of just gained weight due to it, some women do. If you feel bloated it just might be the water then.

If it doesn't go away, i would go back to your gyno and tell her/him your dilema, she/he might put you on another form of pill or give you some advice on how to get rid of it.

I had a lot of side effects on the pill after years of using it, so it might just be the certain pill you are taking.

So like i said, don't stress ... wait it out a few weeks and if nothing changes i would go see your doc/gyno.
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #10  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

A few years ago I was a BC and made me gain about 10 Lb's in 3 months, which is insane!!! MY gyno put me on water pills, which relieve monthly water weight gain, puffiness, bloat, swelling, pressure caused cramps, related fatigue, tension, "blues" and irritability. They also helped relieve menstrual pain and the discomfort of cramps, spasms, backaches, breast tenderness, muscular aches and pains due to overexertion, stress and strain. I found them really helpful!! I went off BC for about 2 yrs, and just got put back on due to Endometriosis....and I told my doc about th problems I had last time, and now I'm on Tri-cyclen Lo.... It's great so far, been on it for a month and no problems! Before I was on Alesse and had terrible side effects from it.... definately talk to your gyno or doc if problems continue....

I found this article that might be helpful to you... http://www.dietary-foods.com/html/oedema.html
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #11  
No More Excuses!

Im going to talk to my DR on the 27th.. I have to go in for my yearly pap and stuff Im on Tri-Cyclen Lo because of my sensitivity to BC. I cant remember if i gained weight last time i was on it, i dont think i ever weighed myself honestly. Ill ask my DR about water pills or something to see if thats the problem. Thanks ladies.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #12  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Heather,

I don't know if you have checked this out of not, but on the Tri-cyclen Lo website, it says this:

5. Will I gain weight when I start using ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN LO?
Numerous clinical studies have shown that as many women lose weight as gain weight while taking birth control pills. Most pill-related weight gain is due to fluid retention, which is usually temporary and cyclical.

This tells you what to expect the first 3 months on this particular pill....of course everyone is different. I don't know how long you've been on it already... but it might be helpful to you!
http://www.thepill.com/html/ppil/usi...on_expect.jsp?
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I retain water like crazy at certain times, and I now take Dandelion root and vitamin B6. I drink 1/2 cup of lemon juice and along with the pills, it gets rid of the water weight. But DO NOT take OTC diuretics, most are dangerous and can cause potassium defeciencies, electrolyte imbalances, and dehydration. And when you stop taking them, your body will retain even more water than it was previously retaining. Most people that are put on prescription diuretics (like people with heart problems) are put on them for the rest of their lives and that's actually what most of them are designed for.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:17 PM   #14  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Patience. You likely didnt gain 4 lbs a week, so your not going to lose 4 lbs a week. Actually its only likely that you will lose 2lbs of fat a week, anything over that is either water, glycogen, or muscle. Also, like someone mentioned before you need to up your calories, eatting too little will sabatoge weight loss. If you are not hungry add calorie dense foods such as peanuts, olive oil, hummus, avocado. ect. Stay as far as you can from processed foods. They are horrible for you, and alot of the stuff in them, like High Fructose Corn Syrup actually make your body store fat. I avoid it like the plague. I dont eat anything with it in there. Same with anything with Hydrogenated Oils, even if it "says" zero Trans Fat. Read the label. They only have to report the trans fat if its over a certain amount. Just my .02
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #15  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Another problem could be the calculator you used to figure out your calories burned. Not all calculators are accurate for all people. If you've dieted at all in the past, it's possible you may have messed up your metabolism, so you don't burn as much as the "average" person anymore. An inaccurate calculator may also be telling you that you need to eat less than you really do. Take these calculators with a grain of salt--you have to keep trying different things to find out exactly what works for you since each person's needs can vary quite a bit.

It's also possible that, like others have suggested, you're not eating enough. If, as you say, you don't have much of an appetite, maybe just tray adding a few calorie-dense foods rather than increasing the amount you eat. Nuts are great for this (high in cals, good fats, and protein) as is natural peanut butter (I buy a kind where the ONLY ingredient is peanuts--no oils, no sugar, no salt).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote