Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 04-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #1  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

Default Stevia and Pregnancy/Nursing?

Anybody's Dr. weighed in on whether or not stevia is safe during pregnancy or nursing? I'm not pregnant now, but hoping to be soon and also looking into switching to stevia for sweetening.
Dairy Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #2  
resident lactivist

I used it regularly throughout my last pregnancy to sweeten my oatmeal and use it now too. I am, however, unaware of any studies specifically regarding its safety during pregnancy/nursing. I figure it's not really any worse for me than refined sugar.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:45 PM   #3  
Bring sexy back

thanks sabra...how much did you use per day during your pg (and tell me if you used powder or liquid please).
Old 04-10-2006, 10:25 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Same here. I used it all through pregnancy and still using it while nursing. I generally used 1 to 5 packets a day...depending on what I had. I used it to sweeten my oatmeal, tea, and on grapefruit. I used both powder and liquid during pregnancy. Now I just use the powder.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #5  
Bring sexy back

Did you just prefer the powder or what? Any direction toward the best brand/type would be greatly appreciated. Did your doctor know you were taking it? Mine is kind of conservative on what she will let you have, I think.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:54 AM   #6  
resident lactivist

I used SteviaPlus in the packets, which is pretty much all I can afford. I used maybe a packet or two a day. I don't like it in my tea, so I only used it to sweeten food, and so I never had call to use much of it.

And what I eat is never something I've had a conversation about with my care providers, much as nursing through pregnancy never was. But doctors and I tend to not get along. I ask too many questions and refuse to do a lot of what they want me to. (Just 'cause it's the typical thing doesn't mean it's necessary.)
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:27 AM   #7  
Bring sexy back

I know what you mean...I refuse a lot of extra tests because I don't feel there is a point. I wouldn't abort and I don't want my pregnancy ruined by bad news that may never even happen. My doctor will say no to EVERYTHING. She told me not to even use mederma when I was nursing. I'm surprised I could use soap. I think they just reject everything out of legal liability without realizing some of these things they reject can really help you out.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:58 AM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I never asked my doctor. I searched info on the web about it, it's all natural...it HAS to be better than putting processed sugar, chlorine or aspartame in my body. And regardless of what a doctor might think, I tried drinking tea with no sweetner and quickly found that wasn't for me.

The liquid mixes better in some things, and you can get them in flavors. But the packets are just more portable and convenient.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #9  
Bring sexy back

Thank you guys SO much. I have literally pored over tons of info on the web. Most of the naysayers are Americans, while people in other countries don't seem to think there is much wrong with it. I get the feeling it is a big conspiracy thing by the sugar and sweetener people. My sister said equal is suing splenda b/c their ads are taking away too much business. What happened to capitalism? Anyway, I am waiting on some to come in the mail (I had to use some ebay money from paypal and thought that was as good a purchase as any). I can't drink unsweetened stuff, either. I'm from the south...it's just not done! I can do plain water or milk, but that is about it.