Old 04-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #1  

Default May I join in?

Hello,

I've only posted in the support forum before and I'm still really new to this site. Would it be ok for me to join this group? I currently need to lose 130 pounds. I'm a little bit shy and not sure where I can or should "jump in".

To tell you a little about me, I'm not following any particular plan, just eating a lot less and being careful of what I do eat. I tried exercising and for whatever reason gained weight. I've stopped exercising to the degree I was, and the weight is starting to fall off - 6 pounds just this week already.

I suffer from extreme depression that developed post-partum 3.5 years ago, it's still kicking my butt . I was on Lexapro for a good year and a half, and then it stopped working for me. Now I'm on Prozac, which kills my appetite (this is a good thing!). I'm hoping that maybe as the weight comes off my depression will resolve and I'll be able to stop taking medication.

I've been trying to lose weight for years, a million plans and the failures to go with them. It's so easy to get discouraged when you think how far there is to go. This time I'm not looking at it the way I did before, I'm taking it a day, and hour, and sometimes a craving at a time. I'm learning to stop myself when a craving hits and hold out.. about 20 minutes and it'll be gone. I'm fighting for my life - litterally. I've had high BP since my early 20's, I was gestational diabetic, my hips and back hurt a lot sometimes.. I'm only 31. I know that I am a food addict and I need to love myself enough to save myself. If I don't do this now I can see a whole plethora of health problems coming my way. I don't want that kind of life. It's not fair to me, or to my husband and children. I'll win this fight, this time.

Well, I guess I've gone on long enough. I hope I can join you all.

El
Elektralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:31 AM   #2  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Welcome El! Feel free to jump in anywhere you'd like! Congrats on the weight loss already! I understand to a degree the PPD issues you are having. I struggled for 9 months with it after my baby was born last April. Over the past 3 months that dark cloud has lifted and I feel that I have my life back. We have all the tools we need to be successful and get healthy for ourselves and our DH & kids sakes. It's a good fight! And we'll do it this time!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #3  

Hi MomTo2SweetPeas,

Thanks for the support and welcome , congratulations also on your loss so far and overcoming PPD. Two big struggles and you're doing great, keep going!

El
Old 04-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #4  
Going to ONEderland

I'm going to suggest to you what works for me. Try Atkins. You say you are a "food addict". For me, I always felt that I didn't eat that "much" but that what I ate were the "wrong" foods. When I first started Atkins I realized how true that was in my case. I also always lamented the fact that other kinds of addicts could just leave alone the substance that had them addicted, not so for food addicts. We have to eat.

This makes our "cold turkey" much more difficult. We can't just avoid it all together. What I learned on Atkins however is that some foods are more "addicting" than others, and that by avoiding those foods that cause that physical reaction, and by eating foods that are satisfying and filling (and that don't cause blood sugar spikes and dips) we can conquer our "addiction". Sure I still love junk food (who doesn't), but I feel stronger about not eating them when I avoid them completely. Meats, dairy, eggs, and non starchy vegetables and low sugar fruits (berries mostly) are what makes up my diet now. And these foods leave you satisfied, not constantly needing more.

I suggest you get the book and read it, then try it for 2 weeks. I think you will find yourself delighted with the results.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #5  

Hi Sherry

Thank you for the suggestion, however, been there, done that. It's not a program for me. Yes, I did have wonderful results, dropped 18 pounds in 2 weeks, only to break down and gain back 30 more

I commend you on your success with Atkins and I'm glad you've found the one that fits your lifestyle. I know low carb can be an amazing thing for those with the power to stick it out. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.

Right now, I'm just avoiding all the things I know haven't worked for me before, and trying to perfect the things that have. I am feeling good, and I've lost 6 pounds so far. For me, I think I'm on the right track. I eat clean carbs for the most part with veggies and whole grains, avoiding sugar/white flour as much as possible. I keep my meat lean, and use healthy fats like olive oil for flavor. I suppose I'm doing something of a lower carb principal, or even a modified south beach. All I know, is that this is working and I'm glad.

El
Old 04-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #6  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Welcome El ~ Glad to have you join us. You're doing great so far. Keep at it ~ you can do this!!
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #7  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektralite
I eat clean carbs for the most part with veggies and whole grains, avoiding sugar/white flour as much as possible. I keep my meat lean, and use healthy fats like olive oil for flavor.
This sounds a lot like what I'm doing this time also. I eat small meals every 3 hours and incorporate a lean protein source (chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, protein shake...) a veggie and sometimes a whole grain in each mini-meal. I mainly use EVOO, peanut butter or almonds as my fats. In the past I've had a history of binging followed by a period of severe deprivation...all leading to yet another binge. Now I've found "replacements" to eat when the cravings are get too strong - especially during TOM. I don't know if that's considered a "good idea", (to just substitute healthy foods to still feed a craving) but it works for me. And right now, it's all about finding what works for me! I make these pancakes with oatmeal flour, oats & egg whites and they are like dessert to me! Another odd replacement for me in a couple oz. of banana with about 1 T of peanut butter on it - satisfies me for most raging chocolate cravings. Whatever. It works for me right now. Either one of them is better than eating 3 cups of ice cream of a bag of Hershey's Treasures!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #8  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

Height: 5'7"

just wanted to **wave** hello to you.. welcome.. im new too!! nice to meet you!
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:02 PM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
I tried exercising and for whatever reason gained weight. I've stopped exercising to the degree I was, and the weight is starting to fall off - 6 pounds just this week already.
Muscle weighs more than fat, so sometimes when you start exercising, you gain a bit.

Welcome to the forum.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #10  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Default Java Turtle Chimes in

Hi ! I'm not a regular poster anywhere anymore, so I guess that makes me a "lurker", but I just wanted to say HI! So, uhhh HI! Welcome It's an AWESOME site.

Java Turtle
Hotcupojava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #11  

thank you, you're all so sweet!!

El
Old 04-08-2006, 08:30 PM   #12  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome Elektralite!!!! Cool name... Hehe.

Nori, I feel you on the PB. Whenever I have a sweet craving, I just have a spoonful right out of the jar and my craving is gone!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #13  
One pound at a time...

to the board! Come on in, the water is nice!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:11 AM   #14  
Downsizing Dee!

Hi El, welcome to the club! Great to have you here.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote