Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #1  
The change I want to see.

S/C/G: 250/239/150

Default Went to the doctor and the doctor said...

No more monkeys jumping on the bed. Ohh...whoops. Wrong story. Can you tell I have a toddler?

But seriously folks, my bad cholesterol is high. I'm in my twenties. Heart disease runs in my family. I'm angry with my body...and with myself. How could I let things get out of hand? Why am I so weak-willed?

It's not just about getting rid of fat anymore. It's about living a healthy, happy life. And I'm scared that I'll fail.

Sorry to be a party pooper. I just didn't know where to turn.
Thanks for listening.
Jenn
Jynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #2  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

Its funny that you posted, No more monkeys jumping on the bed, because that what I was gonna post! lol.

im sorry that your bad cholestrol is high, but just stay positive and you will do it. Lots of whole grains, oatmeal is a staple in my house. But Im sure your doc filled you in on all that. We got your back girl! Its gonna be ok
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 228/184.7/145

Height: 5'6"

Take heart. Being on this forum is a wonderful step in the right direction! 6 months ago, my cholesterol was so high, the doctor was going to put me on medication to try to bring it down. After 5 months of being way more aware of what foods I eat, got my new results today and I am back in the normal range!
steph324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 174/164/140

Height: 5'5

Dont be so hard on yourself your only human just hang in there... dont give up, get on the wagon stay the course and dont look back only forward towards a more healthy future we all know you can do it and you will.
Lady Jackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #5  

Definitely a wake up call...and really, a lucky one! At least it wasn't a heart attack or diabeties. Bad cholestrol is something you can bring down with exercise, eating healthy and if need be, meds. And you are already headed in the right direction! Just think what a great role model you will be for your child They have the 50% of the same genes. (Wish my mom had thought about that and diabeties in her family!)

You can do it! You have every reason in the world to suceed!
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #6  

Y'all are awesome. Thank you for your support and encouragement.
And you're right EJM. Diabetes runs in my family as well...my blood sugar was normal...but too high for what I'm comfortable with it being...

At any rate...I'm going to be leaning on y'all. This is the steps to a future of health and happiness...and I need all the help I can get.

Peace and blessings...and thanks again.
Jenn
Old 04-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

That certianly wouldn't be a fun thing to hear, but like the other chicas said, there's plenty you can do! Cholesterol can affect anyone, no matter what they weigh, but now you have the chance to fix it! Exercise, eat right, and that bad cholesterol will be on its way down in no time.
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:43 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Jenn

Hey hang in there... glad you are under a doctor's care, and you have come to the right place here for support and encouragement! We ALL wish we hadn't let ourselves get into this shape but nothing to do about it now but get on the right track and stay there! You can do it! We are here to give you kudos and encouragement! Here is a hug to start out with!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #9  

I am really lucky to have access to such supportive and inspiring people.

I've been telling myself..."If you don't get on the ball and start working towards your goal...no one else will do it for you." I'm trying really really hard not to let myself weasel out of doing what I need to do.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #10  

Height: 5'8.5"

Sounds like a plan, Jenn!! Go for it!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #11  

I hear you on this one. I was told 10 years ago by my doctor to do something about my weight, or I'd end up being over 100 kilograms and heavy and miserable, and I didn't listen. I ended up being 120 kilograms, and yes, heavy and miserable. But then I was in my twenties and now I am in my thirties. Doh doh and doh for not doing something about it when I was younger.

But hey ho, here we are, listening to our bodies and getting it done. Both my parents have high blood pressure and diabetes. I am not dieting to fit into a nice pair of jeans (but it's sure nice to wear better clothes) but I am changing my lifestyle to keep my lifestyle!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #12  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Red face Oooh I have one

"I went to the doctor and guess what he told me. Guess what he told me. He said girl you better try to have fun no matter what you do. But he's a fool. 'Cause nothing compares to U. "

Sorry, thought I'd just be silly to make you smile. You're doing great. Don't be too hard on yourself. You've come a long way and you'll make it. We all have faith in you.

Hotcupojava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:58 PM   #13  

Sinead! Where have you been all my life?
Seriously though...that DID make me smile. lol

We went grocery shopping today...got some good things to help the cholesterol...AND the rest of the body. Just have to keep hitting the gym. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it!

Thanks again, Sweet Souls.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #14  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

You can do it! Lots of people have lowered their cholesterol -- it is possible!
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #15  
Julia Havey

This time last year, my DH had outrageously high cholesterol and trigyclerides (sp?), he looks great on the outside, 6'5" and wasn't but maybe 10 pounds "overweight" if any--looks lean, but inside--another story, obviously.

He is a chiropractor, so naturally wanted to improve if possible without medications........

He ate real/slow cook oatmeal w/ added flax seed (ground) and wheat germ everyday (sometimes 2 times a day), ate such a strict diet of whole wheat pasta, fresh sauce, egg whites, lots of fruits, veggies, exercised for ONE hour of cardio everday and within 6 months got his levels well within the 'normal' range.

You have a great 'wake up' call to change with what the doctors (and monkeys on the bed!) said.....listen and answer the call!

You don't have to be as zealous as he was, but somewhere inbetween isn't a bad idea!

Just break your worst and most high fat/cholesterol habits......drink water, exercise.......lots of fruits/veggies........

Good luck! and improved health!
Julia Havey
JuliaHavey is offline   Reply With Quote