Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Easter worries!!

I'm nearly in a panic over Easter dinner. I don't know what I'm going to do! I don't want to blow my diet in one day! Obviously I can't check the nutrition labels for everything made and do the points - especially since I'm not cooking this year! I'll be avoiding all Easter candy, but I would at least like a small piece of deseret. Does anyone have tips on what to do about dinner that day so I can eat, relax, and enjoy myself without accumilating too many points?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248.6/249/135

Height: 5'2"ish

First thing is...don't worry. Then plan for it. I'm not sure if this will work for you but this is what my plan is:

First thing I'm doing is saving most if not all of my flex points for that day. I know it's not the best thing to do by eating all my flex points PLUS my daily points in one day but it's better than using my flex points during the week adn then going over my weekly points. I keep a spreadsheet that shows when I've lost/gained and what I ate. During the few times I've saved all my flex points for the one day I lost as opposed to the weeks I didn't save them and ended up blowing my points. Besides I don't think I'll eat them all in one day if I'm carefull.

Second thing is my family usually has the same things at each family meal. I know we'll have ham, which i don't eat alot so I'll allow myself to have some. I know which person is making it and how they'll make it so I can figure out an approximate pt value. The other stuff I try to do the same thing to.

I also try to remember that I don't have to try everything. Just because it's there doesn't mean I have to eat it. I can skip one thing if it's something I have every week or so to get something I don't get very often. Or I might take only 1/4 or 1/2 a serving so I'm still getting a taste of it. I do the same thing for dessert. I know I'll want a piece of dessert so I'll save a few points for it. Then I won't get a whole piece. That way I had a taste but not all the points.

Another thing that is helpfull to me is that my family knows I'm doing WW and they are all very supportive of me. I asked them to use FF or low-fat foods where ever possible.

I think the best thing to do is just plan ahead as much as you can. And then not worry. Family dinners are stressfull enough without worrying about what to eat. At least my family dinners are.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #3  

Ah those holiday meals, seems like we have one every time we turn around. No you can't really sit there looking up points for everything, but you cna probably make a good guess. Do you have the complete food guide? In it you will find the points for many favorites like ham, mashed potatoes ect. Plan on filling up on zero point veggies. Think about the foods you enjoy, which do you feel you need to enjoy which can you take or leave? Me I can give or take dessert I like rolls and potatoes. I hate ham. So I know where I want to spend my points.

Plan it. You probably have a good idea as to what will be available. Figure out how many points you have, plan out how many points each of your favorites are, see your self in your mind choosing those foods in reasonable portions, practice how you will politley decline seconds. Look over your WW tools for living if you ahve those, mental rehearsing is very helpful. If you know before hand how you will handle it then you will handle it better. And write it down, you're more likely to stick to it that way.

Don't skip breakfast, choose a low point filling breakfast that has a bit of protein in it so you don't arrive at dinner starving. One big point killer for me is pop, punch and other calorie laden drinks, choose water or plain iced tea save your points for the yummies

It also helps to save your flex points, don't be afraid to use them, ALL of them, that's what they are there for. Toss in a couple workouts to earn some acivity points.

Look over all the food before you put anything in your mouth or on your plate. That way you know what your options are.

Don't be afraid, fit the plan to live your life. You can do it. We might not be able to eat 8 rolls, 2 peices of pie and 12 ounces ham and expect to have a loss that week. We may do well and still have a gain, if our weigh is clos eto SUnday, if we consume more sodium than usual or don't drink enough water...but it will level off and then again we might have a loss.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #4  

LOL Chrissy we posted almost the same thing at the same time
Old 04-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Use common sense and you will be okay

Take more of the foods that you know to be low-calorie, low fat, and just a taste of the stuff you know is high in calories and fat. Do allow yourself a little dessert so you won't feel deprived. I don't eat meat, so I will probably have a spoonful of whatever potato dish there is, a roll with no butter, whatever veggies there are, etc. I'll bring a dish or two I make myself so I'll know there is something for me to fill up on. Then I will allow myself some dessert. I will also have a glass or two of wine. I did this at my father's 75th birthday party last month and came out okay.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Don't stand by the appetizers.

If you do, stand by the veggie tray and don't use the ranch dressing.

Be one of the last people in line to fill your plate (well - we always have like 25 people, so we have to do buffet style). That way, when other people are getting seconds, you won't stand out by still eating.

Fill 1/2 your plate with salad, 1/4 with a veggie that isn't slathered in butter, and the other 1/4 for whatever you want. Maybe 2oz of meat and a roll.
This puts your dinner at around 4-6 points - leaving you plenty for a small slice of dessert.

EAT SLOW - sip water between bites, put your fork down after each bite. If you eat really slow, then you won't be up getting seconds. That is my downfall at big family dinners, the refilling of the plate.

The apple (or any fruit) pie will have a lot less calories than the cheesecake.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

You can make it through Easter--like the other posters mention plan for it. Make sure you don't go into the meal(s) hungry. I usually try to have something like the WW soup, tea, etc. to help me feel full beforehand. Take a look at what you're having--assess what you really want and have some. I know we have things that we only have at Easter so I plan to have some (Easter bread). Journal everything so you can "see" what you've done.

Don't get upset if you stray a little, the trick is to get back OP and not stress about a slip up.

You can be successful over any holiday, just take it one meal at a time. I've been a LT member since 1999 and have successfully maintained my weight loss. Keep up the great work!
Old 04-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #8  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

YIKES Easter Dinner - I didn't even think of that! Oh this is a high fat, high starch family and the MIL drenches all veg in cheese whiz (yuck). No she wont' keep any aside I have asked and she won't do it for just me and my daughters (we don't like cheese on our veggies but the other 20 people in the family do). Oh I think I will have a salad or something I know I can have before I go, that way I won't be so hungry.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #9  
banned

may i share what my leader says to do in such situations? she says to stop counting points and allow yourself anything you want one one plate and it works!
Closed Thread