WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #1  
25 pounds down

S/C/G: 210/185/127

Default Diet Sodas??

I have question about diet sodas, Im currently on ww now going on 4wks and loss 10pds since. I have a co-worker that im concerned about she intakes 5-6 diet sodas daily diet coke etc. Cause there diet doesnt mean you can drink that much or can you???
I stick to my water and maybe for drink I'll have a minute maid juice 0pts.!
My co-work drinks a soda as early as 8am and is on her second one by 10am is there something she should worrie about?? If anyone has any info let me know! thanks
Old 04-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #2  
jadedjane

I drink alot of diet soda too.. maybe not nearly as much as she does - I usually have 2-3 cans a day. Add that up with all the coffee I drink (roughly 2 pots a day) and I've racked up a fairly hefty caffiene intake.

The sodium is actually not so bad in diet cokes (I dont drink any other brand) and I drink water right after having a cup of coffee at a 1:1 ratio to make sure the caffiene isnt leeching my system of water and I take calcium supplements on top of getting my 2-3 nonfat dairy servings a day because caffiene tends to inhibit calcuim absorbtion.

As far as weight loss goes, the diet soda and coffee never seemed to slow it down. My total loss is 165 pounds (over about a year and a half - maybe a little less). If you feel like you must mention anything to her, bring up the caffiene / dehydration issue, all the chemicals in them, that alot of people are more prone to crave sugar after drinking them, and don't forget that even diet sodas erode the enamel on your teeth (just like the sugared sodas do)

Good luck helping her. I know from experience that diet soda can become an addiction - lol
Old 04-05-2006, 03:06 PM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

As long as she still gets in 6-8 8oz glasses of water (1/2 of which can come from non alcohol and decaff beverages) she can drink as much as she wants without any ill effects to her diet. Now they can cause problems because of phosphates and some have a problem with the aspartame but that is individualized.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163.4/120/132

Height: 5'1"

As long as she can still get 6 to 8 glasses of water down, I suppose it's okay. The only problem is that there is no nutritional value to it, and although it's technically ok on the diet, it just can't be good for your body in the long run.

I've found that everyone has something that they just won't give up to do WW. For me, it's my morning latte. I have to have it, and denying myself just makes me cranky and angry at the program.

To each his own!
Old 04-05-2006, 03:58 PM   #5  

I looooove my diet Pepsi, but I know they are not good for me. A few of the problems are: caffeine interferes with weight loss, people who drink artificially sweetened drinks have more cravings for sugar, drinking so much soda probably interes with a person's water intake, it also interferes with calcium absorption and leeches calcium from the bones, etc. etc.

No judging here, when I work, I love a Dr. Pepper with my breakfast. I still struggle with that.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:10 PM   #6  
25 pounds down

S/C/G: 210/185/127

Talking Thanks for the replies!! :)

Yes, of course everyone has there own favorite foods&drinks! I know I do I have to have ice cream I found Klondike bars 3pts (fat free)
Thanks for the replies it puts thing's in prespective about Diet soda's!
Old 04-06-2006, 02:01 AM   #7  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

I LOOOOVVVVEEEE my diet Pepsi! I have to have at least one everyday! But I agree with everyone else, as long as she's getting all the water she needs, it should be okay.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 286/160/145

I drink about four cans of Diet Coke a day, and I've managed to lose about 125 pounds! So, for me at least, it hasn't interfered with my weight loss. The caffeine in those four Diet Cokes is less than what most people get first thing in the AM with their coffee. To balance it out, though, I also drink a ton of water - about 100 oz. a day or more.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #9  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

oh diet pepsi wild cherry -- you all are going to make me want this now and it is only 9:30 LOL
Old 04-06-2006, 09:33 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Altho' I know a lot of ppl think I am a health freak --

being a semi-veg and all, I can't resist saying that sodas are junk, and all those chemicals just can't be okay to take into your body. I have a very occasional diet soda if I am someplace where nothing else is available, but if there is bottled water, that will be my beverage of choice. It's all artificial this and that...NOT what your body was meant to take in.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:35 AM   #11  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

Yes water is better but sometimes it just doesn't "quench" that dry spot you get. Do you add anything to your water (lime or lemon) to help?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:49 AM   #12  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnyc
I looooove my diet Pepsi, but I know they are not good for me. A few of the problems are: caffeine interferes with weight loss, people who drink artificially sweetened drinks have more cravings for sugar, drinking so much soda probably interes with a person's water intake, it also interferes with calcium absorption and leeches calcium from the bones, etc. etc.

No judging here, when I work, I love a Dr. Pepper with my breakfast. I still struggle with that.
There is no proof on the 'cravings for more sweets' -- I mean proven research this is an idividual thing.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #13  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinfor5Minutes
being a semi-veg and all, I can't resist saying that sodas are junk, and all those chemicals just can't be okay to take into your body. I have a very occasional diet soda if I am someplace where nothing else is available, but if there is bottled water, that will be my beverage of choice. It's all artificial this and that...NOT what your body was meant to take in.
LOL! Everything in the world is some sort of chemical mixture...some are safer and some are not. BUt again it all comes done to moderation.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #14  
Caution: Wide Load

S/C/G: Huge/Big/Average

I think that if the co-worker is concerned about what she is drinking, she will get the info and make changes when she's ready. I see it as being similar to telling a smoker to quit - they won't until they are ready. Of course, most folks are that way about any change that needs to be made. Some people never do.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:00 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

What minute maid juice is zero points anyway? Not fruit juice.
Closed Thread