General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #1  
J.Depp=Male Perfection

Angry Would you have reported it?

I have a friend that receives food stamps. She works but also has a boyfriend that lives with her that makes really good money. From what I've determined, probably around $20 an hour. She reports her income but his isn't and he does help with paying the rent/utility bills. His mail is sent to a different address (I believe his parents house) so they can avoid reporting it. If his was reported there is no way they would be getting them.

I met her for lunch today and she brought pics of houses that they were looking at to buy. In the $200,000 range. How can someone on food stamps afford a house like that?!

I reported her for food stamp fraud. It makes me upset that there are others out there making way less and getting the same amount of food stamps as her. Would you have reported it? This is a really close friend I've known since elementary school and I feel bad for doing it. She, of course, will have no idea who reported her.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198 (HW) 183 (SW) / 180 / 150

Not if there were kids in the house. They will be negatively effected by it, and even if it is "sponging" off the system, those children are being provided for. I am a working-tax-paying citizen since I was 15, so I say this will all understanding, but it really does come down to who is taking care of those children.

Now if there are no children involved, then yes I would have.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #3  
ugggg.....

If it is only a boyfriend and not the parent of any children she has he could leave at any given moment and should not be considered part of the income.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #4  
J.Depp=Male Perfection

Money is not an issue in this house. They eat out several times a week. If they can afford that, they can also afford to feed themselves at home.

This also is a serious relationship and they are engaged but putting off the wedding so they don't have to report him on this and financial aid that she is getting.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #5  

I would have reported her in a NY minute! I commend you for doing the right thing.

I have worked all my adult life (30+ years) representing the economically disadvantaged and it angers me when I see a case like your friend's.

On the other hand, someone stealing from these programs is nothing compared to what politicians and those with real money are stealing legally. One thing thoes not excuse the other, though.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #6  
Marathon Goddess

I would have reported it. Its really very simple, if you can afford your food dont take food from people who really need it. Its a matter of principles.

And shes putting off her wedding, I mean really, anyone who would go to that kind of trouble to steal, I would seriously reconsider calling her a friend. That might sound harsh, but I would wonder if your lying about that, what are you lying to me about.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:29 PM   #7  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

I know lots of people who live WAY better than me... have 2 nice vehicles, boats, campers and live the high life yet they are on food stamps and their kids are on medicaid .....I've never reported them though, what goes around comes around or something like that.....

I wonder what they will do now that you've reported them?? Do they even check into that sort of stuff??
Old 04-04-2006, 09:24 PM   #8  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

I would've reported it, I hate people who abuse the system and flaunt their material goods. THere was a woman in my state who defrauded over $340K in welfare benefits over a period of years--when they arrested her, she was driving a Ford Excursion, good grief! Was she using her welfare money for gas??? It just makes my blood boil that there are people out there taking "free" money away from people who may truly need it, and the government is worse, by not keeping tabs on all the people on the dole. Sorry, end rant...
Old 04-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #9  

I worked with a guy who's family used food stamps yet they all smoked. Good to know where their money goes.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:39 PM   #10  

I just briefly skimmed this board.... and YES I would report it!!!! If they can afford to eat out and everything they do NOT need to be on assistance! I feel they are stealing from a needy family that could really use it!!! But yes I would report it like yesterday's news!
Old 04-04-2006, 09:51 PM   #11  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

I would have reported her too!

And I've BEEN ON food stamps but only when someone suggested it to me: I was dead broke, and over 2 weeks, I had applied to any job I thought I was qualified for, even dishwasher. Guess they thought a college grad couldn't wash dishes in Texas 'cause I had the toughest time getting a call back, and it wasn't because I wasn't a hard worker! I hemmed and hawed before I went to that office because I didn't see myself as needy, but I guess I was... unless I was planning on going and standing under some street lamp.

Anyway, I signed up, got them, and got off as soon as I was hired at a job... and let me tell you, there are some truly suffering people in the social services offices. I really felt bad for them.

I am very glad we have that safety net - at one point in my childhood, my family was on WIC - and my mother had to bear being shamed in the office to renew that every time by some jerk workers, but still, it was a hand up.

That money should go to the needy, period. Not liars.

I wouldn't wait for karma to come kick her in the butt, I'd lend a helping hand by dropping a dime.

Last edited by BerkshireGrl; 04-04-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 PM   #12  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I know of a similar situation where a woman was living in low-rent housing and had married after her year long contract had just begun. She was only paying $25.00 monthly for rent. Her new husband was working for the Dept. of Energy and making $60,000 a year. They stayed in this apartment for a year and bought a new car. I didn't report them, but felt that it was very wrong and probably should have reported it. That was taking away a home from someone who couldn't afford it. BTW, they are no longer there and still can't manage to pay their bills on time even with his good job.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:14 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I don't care if there are kids in the house or not. I'd have reported it and I would NOT have been having lunch with her, or I'd have probably asked her what the heck she was doing buying that kind of a house and getting foodstamps...and possibly loud enough for other diners to hear me. People like that make me sick.

The reason it bothers me so much is that I had to go on assistance back in the 80's when my ex walked out on me and our one month old daughter. I felt dirty and demeaned to be getting help but had no choice. If more people DID feel bad about taking it, there'd be none of the cheating that goes on. I was even embarrassed to go grocery shopping and pay with foodstamps...felt like people were staring at me thinking I was a bum or something.

People getting it who don't deserve it royally tick me off. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I've had a problem with this subject ever since the 80's.

I lived in government housing back then and I can tell you horror stories about cheats. Live-in boyfriends wasn't the only problem. When all your neighbors own RTO furniture and two VCRS and you have a borrowed TV, no VCR, and flea market furniture...something's rotten with that. Try seeing your neighbors pulling 2 to 3 packs of stamps from their mailboxes. ???? How many names were they signing up under??? Try explaining to them daily why you're not having more kids (unmarried...on welfare...duh), and having them stare at you like you're from Mars while they explain that more kids means welfare increases your check. Feel self-conscious about being driven to the welfare office by your dad, in his Cadillac. Just to have others pull up in a Lexus or BMW or Cadillac of there own. Many of them owned two cars when I couldn't afford even a clunker.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:09 AM   #14  

Height: 5'8.5"

I commend you for reporting it... I would have done so in a heartbeat! There are far too many people out there who genuinely need help, and also too many of us struggling to pay our taxes to support liars and cheaters! Good for you!!! You did the right thing.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:15 AM   #15  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I definitely think you did the right thing - there are too many people out there who really need financial assistance. When people start scamming these programs it makes it harder for everyone to get assitance, which means the people who really need it are punished by someone else's selfish and greedy behaviour - kudos to you for doing the right thing
Closed Thread