Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 09:22 AM   #1  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default Everyday Exercisers ~ Thursday!

Welcome to Everyday Exercisers -- a daily thread that focuses on healthy weightloss and overall fitness through regular exercise. Our goals are to stay active, stay hydrated, and make healthy eating choices. We share our exercise plans for the week, and check in each day to share our progress...and our set-backs. Here you'll find a supportive and encouraging environment in which to pursue your fitness goals, and a community of people who share your commitment to fitness and provide motivation and inspiration to each other. Welcome!

Old 08-02-2001, 09:33 AM   #2  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Well, I'm not feeling all that great this morning, I think I'm coming down with a cold..... Anyway, I'm trying to make it through today, but if I suddenly disappear, don't worry..! We've got a long weekend in Canada, so I'll be off on Monday too! And great weather to boot! It figures that I'd get sick!

But, I did make it to Curves yesterday, and I seem to be getting sore-er (is that a word?) by the day. Probably a sign of illness, methinks? So, I'm taking it easy today, and will probably just go home after work and do my yoga video. Then, I was gonna take tomorrow off anyway, for an ultra-long weekend! Yay!

My goal for this weekend is exercise everyday. I've got Sunday covered for sure, as dh and I are golfing in a coulee tourny, which is basically golfing over and through a valley! Lots of hiking and cursing too, I'm sure! I'm going to get my yoga video in at least twice, and hopefully lots of walking, gardening, bike riding, etc... as it's supposed to be HOT, HOT, HOT!

Question of the Day? What is your favorite leisure activity? Now, for me, without a doubt, this is reading. I am a voracious reader, and I'll read almost anything. My favorite by far is true crime novels, but I read classics, romance, horror, mystery, suspense, drama, and popular fiction. What do you like to do in your "downtime"?

See ya later!
Old 08-02-2001, 10:20 AM   #3  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Just wanted to add this... it came in my email today, and it's the five mistakes that women make when beginning an exercise plan.... interesting.

The five major mistakes are...

1. Not including weight training in your workout! Women tend to gravitate more toward cardiovascular exercises like aerobics. They often leave out weight training because they think they’re going to get too bulky. Another common mistake is not training until you reach your ideal body weight.

Weight training actually firms your muscles which is something that doesn’t happen through aerobics. It's the best activity for losing weight and maintaining your ideal body weight. Muscle is metabolically active tissue that increases your resting metabolism so you’re burning calories throughout the day. If you can put on five pounds of lean muscle -- which any woman can do within several months -- you can burn an extra 1,750 calories a week!

2. Using weights that are too light! Some women tend to use ultra light weights when weight training. You can go into a gym and see a woman lifting a two-pound weight reading a magazine. She’s accomplishing nothing. If you don’t challenge the body, the workout isn’t going to do anything for you.

In order to see results you need to tax your muscles. You need to subject the body to stress. If you’re looking to tone up rather than add bulk, you need to train with higher repetitions (try 15 to 20 reps per set). Make sure the last few reps are difficult to complete.

3. Not having a game plan! It’s all about strategy. Too many times, Schoenfeld has seen women walk into a gym not knowing what they want to do that day. So they do a little of this and a little of that. The fitness expert compares working out aimlessly to writing a novel without a plot.

The important thing is to decide what you want to do before you start and then follow through on that game plan each time you workout. For example if you’re going to work the abs, concentrate on those exercises in particular.

4. Training too frequently! Training is a stress on the body. Not only does it tax your muscles but it also taxes the entire neuromuscular system while you’re training. Basically, you’re breaking down your body. Your body needs rest to recuperate. That’s when the development comes in.

If you train too much, you’ll short circuit the recuperation process and actually impair your results. To avoid this, allow 48 hours rest in between weight-training sessions. Also limit cardiovascular activity to no more than five days a week with two full days off.

5. Expecting to see immediate results! Unfortunately, exercise isn’t an instant gratification process. Results happen over time. If you expect to see change in a few days or a week or two, you’re going to set yourself up for frustration and that’s going to demotivate you.
Old 08-02-2001, 12:00 PM   #4  

Marvin - thanks for the post about the "5 mistakes." I can definitely relate to some, if not all, at one time or another. My husband has been great about getting me into an effective weight routine. I think I was one of those women afraid to lift too much. I now know better and it has made a big difference. I hope your cold is gone before it has a chance to take hold. Have a great long weekend .

I ran this morning for 30 minutes (not great, but it's a start). I opened to a brand new clean page in my journal and a FRESH START. Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I choose to live well .

I'll be back later...........
Old 08-02-2001, 12:56 PM   #5  

Ds got up early today so I managed to get in an hour bike ride before hubby went to work. Thanks for the 5 tips. I have to be careful about taking the time off. I just don't want to! But then I really hurt. I think it's ok maybe to do some walking on the days of. (?) I just need to move!
My favorite leisure activities are reading, scrapbooking and stamping. Sorry I couldn't limit it to one!
In Christ,
Pamela
Old 08-02-2001, 09:01 PM   #6  

Tupo Girl (Pam) - welcome to the thread. I haven't posted since Tuesday but I read the threads from the last two days. Congrats on your weight loss so far. That's great!

Just Do It: Hope your day went well. Sounds like you started out today with a great attitude and determination.

Marvin: Thanks for those 5 tips. I've read some of them somewhere before but its great to be reminded - especially about how you actually build muscle by taking time off between training and not expecting immediate results.

For The Q of the Day: Favorite leisure activity is Rubber Stamping (making cards and scrapbooking). But swimming and walking are close behind. My update: I haven't kept track of my calories or WW points this week but I think I'm doing okay (of course you never know when you don't write it down). The thing I am happy about is that I've found time to swim at least 30 minutes every day and I didn't think I would have time with all the packing and errands and stuff this week.

I don't have time tonight to post to everyone who posted on the Wednesday night thread, but I'll just say Hi to everyone and keep up the great work and enthusiam for exercise! I doubt if I will get on tomorrow night. I leave for the shore Saturday and will be gone a week. I plan to do a lot of walking and yoga while I'm away and try not to eat too much. Bye!
Old 08-03-2001, 01:12 PM   #7  

Hi Everyone!

I just got off my stationary bike. Did 30 minutes. Then I did my Body Flex tape. I plan on going to the gym this afternoon.

For some reason, this week has not been an easy one as far as exercising goes, but I'm getting it in as best as I can.

Stamper, hope you have a wonderful trip. I know you will!

Tupo Girl, welcome to our group. You'll find lots of great info and support here!

Jusdoit, congrats on getting out there and running 30 minutes. I'm super impressed! I can get on the treadmill for 30, but jogging for that long is another story. Fantastic!!

Marvin, thanks for the 5 tips! Excellent info!!

Let's see... my favorite leisure activity... I love going to the movies. Can't wait to see Rush Hour 2. I also like getting out in nature. Love all those beautiful trees, flowers and little creatures out there. Of course, I also like to be where the action is. So if there is a party or dancing, I'm there, too. What can I say... I love it all.

Have a great weekend!
(Hugs),
Dena
Old 08-03-2001, 01:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I missed exercising yesterday I got so busy cleaning out our basement and hauling off loads to the goodwill, oldroom mates and the dump that they day just flew by. I did golf 9 holes, so I can count some walking, but I meant to get to the gym. Today is my lifting day and I have to do knee exercises, so I will be there for awhile.
Old 08-03-2001, 04:12 PM   #9  

I'd start a Friday thread but I don't know how

I had a great swim this morning. Swam just over 1.25 miles in 50 mins. It felt so good. WOO HOO day 2 of my exercise streak! One day at a time!

Pamela - good job on the hour bike ride!

Stamper - have a wonderful trip and don't stress about calories. Just be sure to enjoy yourself!

Dena - bike, body flex AND the gym!!! AWESOME!

Morrigan - it sounds like you burned plenty of calories on your non-exercise day anyway. Keep up the good work .

I plan to workout both Saturday and Sunday (even though I'm going out Saturday night for a post-birthday celebration - I shall behave....maybe ).

Have a great weekend everyone. Keep moving!

Cat
Old 08-04-2001, 03:54 AM   #10  

I don't know how to start a new one either!! Today I ran around with my friend and played with my son in her yard. Then dh and I walked through both a Greatland Target AND a Super Target. Then I did my indoor excercises from a nifty website... I'm biking tomorrow!
In Christ,
Pamela
Old 08-04-2001, 05:10 AM   #11  
Theres no stopping me now

Talking

Hi fell off the exercise wagon on Wednesday, didn't manage to get in my bike ride - but I did take my kids swimming. It's more of a splash around with them as I don't physically get to swim I just play with. I do get to climb lots of stairs up to the flumes though - as the wee man is too small to go himself (my excuse & I'm sticking to it)

I did manage the areobics video & the walk on Thursday & managed a quick walk yesterday. But that has been the extenet of my exercising. Last nights swim went out the window as DH went out & I stayed home with the boys. I'm hoping to escape for my swim later today - depending on DH's hangover when he finally wakes up & a BBQ we have tenatively arranged for today.

I am not going to sit on that couch & be a couch potato. In fact I think I'll take a football to the BBQ & play with the kids - if I'm busy running around I can't eat everything in sight. The kids are all at an age where they like a 'mad' adult to play with

You all appear to be doing great. I have promised myself a better week next week - but have yet to make out a plan.

see you
Carol
Old 08-04-2001, 10:14 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Yesterday I didn't make it to the gym until 5:30 pm - but I stayed till eight and got all my weights in. Tomorrow I am going camping so I will get lots of swimming in for a few days. Today I am doing yoga and then I don't know what.

Oh, and my and my DH went on a date to see A Hard Day's Night. It was great to see it at a movie theater.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:24 PM   #13  
Kathy

Default Join In

Hi Everyone, I just started exercising yesterday and would like to start posting with you all. I worked out on my lunch break at work. I did 12 minutes on the treadmill and then did the leg extension, leg curl and chest press machines. I did 15 reps with 4 to 5 sets. I must say I actually feel good.

I am definitely going to make this a daily routine of doing something at least 30 to 40 minutes eac day. That way I will stop eating out at lunch time. That's what is making me fatter.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:51 PM   #14  

Hi guys, Hope everyone is drinking tons of water when they are exercising. It's been so darn hot and humid here in Ohio. Tonight I plan on going to kickboxing class and then I told my husband that I would go on a bike ride with him later . Tomorrow I celebrate my 4th wedding anniversary with my husband. Time sure does fly. Talk to you all later.
Saggy
Old 08-08-2001, 04:54 PM   #15  

Default thread confusion....

Hey Saggy and Kathy - This thread has actually moved on to "Everyday Exercisers 8_04_01" Meet us over there

And Happy Anniversary Saggy
Closed Thread