General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #1  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Default Sucralose-safe???

Hey all,

I have been trying to avoid artifical sweeteners. I mistakenly pick up juice that was sweetened with Sucralose and was just wondering if anyone has any info on it...I hate to waste the juice...

thanks
Old 04-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #2  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Sucralose = Splenda

Is it safe? Well, it was approved by the FDA in 1998 - but it depends on what data or whose opinions you read

From "The Truth About Splenda"
http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com

A website created by The Sugar Association which may not be your most unbiased source - but the information appears straight up to me

Splenda is the trademarked name for sucralose, an artificial chlorinated sweetener that is formed when the hydroxyl groups in a sugar molecule are replaced with chlorine molecules. Sucralose is manufactured in a chemical plant in Alabama, and then a bulking agent is added to create Splenda. While the FDA has ruled that the chemical compound sucralose is not in itself toxic, there is no question that it is unnatural and is a highly-processed chemical artificial sweetener that depends on the presence of chlorine for its intense sweetness.

Another Anti-Splenda site:
http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/

Whole Foods Market's statement on why they don't carry products that contain Splenda - interesting read:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/heal...sucralose.html

The official Splenda site says:
How was the safety of SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener determined?

Regulatory agencies worldwide have reviewed more than 100 safety studies on sucralose and found sucralose to be safe including the United States Food and Drug Administration, the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA), the Health Protection Branch of Health and Welfare Canada, and Australia's National Food Authority.

Over 80 countries now permit the use of sucralose (and over 4,000 food and beverage products around the world are now sweetened with SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener).

Soooo.... entirely up to you. Personally, I use it a bit in coffee, but I wouldn't use it if I was pregnant, and I would not feed it to kids. But that's me.
Closed Thread