Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Default Ex Smoker w/ delayed food reaction

I quit smoking about four and a half years ago. It wasn't that hard for me, and it wasn't until about a year ago that I started to substitute food for when I'd smoke ( with friends, when stressed, angry, when drinking coffee)...it's stuff like cookies and cakes. Very obvious sugary things. When I do not have those in my house, I'll either drive to get them or I"ll eat whatever else is there, like I took out the majority of a box of elbow macaroni--dry...

Things like bananas and pineapple do not cause me to binge. Probably because they are not overly processed, while cookies and snack cakes are. I am finding that I am going through the same "withdrawal" symptoms as I try to stay away from crappy foods. WHen I quit smoking, I then ate bad, when I cut out those foods, I reach for others...its' very, very discouraging.

I am online today checking out different plans like sbd and sugar busters. I am not ready for either of those because they more of "no-no" foods there are the more I am going to want to eat that which I'm not supposed to have...for awhile I was counting calories which seems to be working the best for me, but then I fall off the wagon and there goes that...

I'm not sure what I'm looking for- maybe someone who has been here before.? I am attempting to take it one day at a time, but I also want a game plane...

thus far: work out at least five days a week ( I do this already)
Drink at least 8 glasses of water
Stay away from processed crap (cookies, cakes, ect.)
Stay away from white flour, white bread ( I do this, haven't gotten passed white potatoes though)
Try to eat fruits and vegetables ( at least more than 3 servings a
day)
Find different ways to cope with emotions/stress

*** normally I am not so melancholy and depressed. I'm just having a rather "down' day.

thanks.
og
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 151/128.5/115 5' 2"

Hey Goddess, I quit smoking 3 1/2 years ago, after 21 years of smoking. It was quite a change for me and I was prepared for the "quitting weight gain" and the first 4 - 5 months I actually lost about 8 lbs.

But then I stopped being vigilant about what I put in my mouth and gained it all back plus about 15 lbs more.

Right now I'm doing many of the same things as you, lots of water, nothing processed or white and lots of fruits and veggies. I've also cut out almost all sugar and sodium (no more than 400 mg/serving) I've lost about 18 lbs in the the past 9 weeks so it's working.

Remember how you were so obsessed with quitting smoking at the beginning and you really needed to focus your energies else where to get through the cravings? Remember how it got easier after a while and you eventually very seldom thought about smoking? It's the same with sugar, salt and processed food; with the exception that we can never "not" eat again (as with smoking), which is what makes this even harder. We have to eat.

We simply have to have disipline and make the right choices (I work with 90% of the time).

You're already proven you can give up one of the most addictive substances facing human kind today. Overcoming bad food habits will be a snap! ;-)

I know where you're coming from and wish you all the best!
MrsMoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #3  
kona

I quit smoking 5 years ago and have over the years put too much on. I looked at a photo of myself 6 years ago and got a bit depressed. 20 lbs can really change the way a person looks.

My goal is one that was similar to the way I quit smoking. When I wanted to smoke I convinced myself that if I didn't I wasn't depriving myself of something only giving myself freedom. It worked for smoking, I don't even think about it anymore. With eating I'm going to think much like that and when I say no to something it will be about choosing freedom from being overweight not just deprivation from something I am craving.

I wish you well. Send me a PM if you ever need someone to talk to.

kona
kona is offline   Reply With Quote