Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 03:09 PM   #1  

Default Appetizer ideas needed

Hello everyone

I'm looking for some suggestions for an appetizer for an afternoon picnic for a large group. Here are the problems ... the picnic is on Saturday afternoon ... we will be staying in a motel in the area for a few days before that & the refrigerator situation is unknown. We will also be driving about 2 hours before the picnic, and the food will be sitting out there for a few hours.

What can I take that can survive without refrigeration and can be made with only a few utensils. I've thought about baked tortilla chips & salsa, but would like to take something a little more creative.

Thanks for the help
Old 08-01-2001, 04:32 PM   #2  
imaleader

low fat cheese (alpine lace) and a whole grain cracker. Cut up veggies that you pack on ice that you buy at the local gas station or 7-11, or WaWa; Pretzels and honey mustard; (Is everyone else in the same predicament? I mean, what's being served as the meal for the picnic if you're all w/o refrigeration and 2 hours away from the destination?

Old 08-01-2001, 07:14 PM   #3  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Would you want to bring a cooler from home and pack it with motel ice before you start for the picnic?
Would you be interested in a garbanzo bean dip (similar to hummus)? Serve it with pita chips you make at home and store in Tupperware.
Cut up fruit on kebobs?
Old 08-02-2001, 12:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Buy brie, apricot jam or chutney, sliced almonds, and crackers. It's kind of spendy - but the brie need to warm up for a few hours anyway and it is always popular. Put it on a paper plate, dump the jam or chutney on top, sprinkle the almonds on that and stick a knife (plastic will do) next to it.

Now obviously this is not a good low point choice.

Another great one that is lower in points is to buy a bunch of bulk dried fruit (like pears, plums, apples, and pineapple) at a health food store and arrange it on a try. I have brought that a few times with some whole almonds scattered among the dried fruit and it alway goes really fast. Plus it is unusual.

Last edited by morrigan; 08-02-2001 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:18 PM   #5  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

Raw veggies keep pretty well, especially if you can bring a cooler. You can keep the veggies cold with ice and when it melts, just get more at the grocery store.

Raw veggies sounds so ordinary, though. So, hollow out tomatoes and bell peppers. Cut carrots, celery, pepper strips, zucchini, yellow squash, etc. and stand them up in the tomatoes and peppers. Or put them on a plate and fill the tomatoes or peppers with a nonfat yogurt dip.

Or, dice a variety of veggies, and make a salad to stuff into the hollowed out veggies. You can take vinegar and oil to make a simple dressing. Or just sprinkle them with lemon juice or balsamic vinegar or any other good vinegar. If you want a lowfat creamy dressing, use yogurt as a base instead of mayo and mix with salsa or salad dressing mix or your own favorite blend of herbs and spices.

Another super good (and totally no fat) salad is to slice cucumbers and strawberies. Arrange them on small plates in concentric circles. Sprinkle with champagne or raspberry or balsamic vinegar, salt and white pepper. Let them sit for a while, but don't stir or toss them because the strawberry juice will turn the cucumber slices an ugly color. But the salad is one of the few dishes everyone in my family will eat. If you want to use a hollowed out bowl to serve this salad, use an orange and layer the berries and cucumbers. I've never tried it with orange, but I bet it would be good with the orange bits you've removed from the shells layered in with the berries and cucumber.

Hope this gives you some ideas you can use.

Lin

Last edited by Lin S; 08-02-2001 at 03:22 PM.
Closed Thread