Old 03-30-2006, 07:40 PM   #1  
Stu's Angel <3

S/C/G: 245 lbs / 220 lbs / 150 lbs

Exclamation I'm sort of... calcium deficient...

Ladies,

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me which super low calorie food has the most calcium. I don't do shopping myself so I can't look at labels when buying food.

Is there a certain type of cheese or milk that is extra high in calcium and really low in calories? Which is healthiest? It's hard to have enough calcium and still stay under 1500 calores each day... :/

I hope I make sense. Thanks in advance.
Chemicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 139/124/115

Skim milk? It only has 80 or 90 calories per 8 ounces. Or vitamin and mineral fortified soymilk. If you are concerned about you calcium intake, consult a doctor and consider taking a suppliment on top of adding some stuff in.
anyothername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I had a wee look at your fitday and I'd say any dairy. Cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese .... You can take a calcium supplement. Lots of us do.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #4  
Stu's Angel <3

S/C/G: 245 lbs / 220 lbs / 150 lbs

Thanks for your replies.

I guess I was hoping one of you would have this magical high calcium zero calorie secret food or something.

I love cottage cheese, in fact I forget it existed... sounds like a plan!
Chemicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 228/215/160

Height: 5 ft 5

Default hi there,

sugar free fat free yogurts usually only have like 80-100 calories
and also
sugar free pudding they have it with splenda now..has only 60 calories

red salmon
tofu
broccoli
scallops
greens are high in calcium as well... spinach, turnip greens, beet greens, collard greens, dandelion greens, mustard greens, and kale

White/Wholemeal bread,
Oats, Soy, Almonds, Brazil Nuts, Pistachios, Sunflower
Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Flax Seed, Carob, Carrots, Cabbage, Garlic, Parsley
, Chives, Seaweed, Cauliflower, Okra, Cassava, Figs, Papaya,
Rhubarb, Molasses,

I take viactiv calcium chew 1 or 2 a day..i took them when i was pregnant too..they come in chocolate, and orange, and caramel, vanilla, etc...

good luck
campbellredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

Default Calcium

Spinach...broccoli...oranges...skim milk cheesestrings...soy milk...cottage cheese, I have a hard time getting mine too and almost considering a supplement though I'm a pretty firm believer in the ability to get all your nutrients from food, if you do take any kind of supplements drink a lot of water and try to take it with food for better absorption.
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:21 PM   #7  
Susan hockeyfan7

If you use the Viactiv chews, make sure to count the calories in those. They are 20 calories each, so if you chew 2 a day, that's 40 calories or 280 a week. They can add up.

Also, if you take a calcium supplement like I do that is 500 mg and you want to take 2 or 3 of them, split them up. Take one with breakfast, one with lunch and one with dinner. Your body can only absorb so much at once.

Other sources of calcium include: canned fish with bones, nuts, fruits, vegetables, dried beans, rice beverages, molasses, some leafy greens, calcium-fortified foods and beverages, and soy products, including tempeh.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:37 PM   #8  

Height: 5'6"

I like the skim milk that has added calcium. The brand I buy has 50% of the daily percentage in one glass.

I'm not so sure that eating cottage cheese will up your intake of calcium by much. Cottage cheese is typically counted more as a protein than a dairy (unless the particular brand has added calcium). One serving of cottage cheese has about 25 grams of protein but around only 40 grams of calcium. I think the calcium percentage figures out to around 5% of your daily allotment of calcium. (Trust me, I was shocked when I actually LOOKED at the label.)

I take a women's multivitamin and try to get in a couple of servings of milk a day.

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:47 PM   #9  

You have to eat 2 cups of cottage cheese to get the same calcium as 1 cup of skim milk - at about 4 times the calories.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote