PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/263/125

Default feminine sorts of issues

I just wondered if any of you experienced anything like this.

I was really irregular, usually went about 5-6 months between periods and then they only lasted a day or two...

However, I started exercising regularly last month and I've been on my period since then. 6 weeks now. Is this normal? It's REALLY irritating.
corayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

It's pretty common for your cycle to be messed up when you first change your exercise and eating routines.
Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:11 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yup, I'd second that, if you change your exercise routine, it can change your hormones as well. Also losing weight can change your hormones. Before I lost weight, my BC pills were effective at controlling my period but since then it has been difficult.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #4  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

I had to start taking BCP or else it came whenever it felt like it 28 days, 65 days -- whenever it was horrible.
Cafe Ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:24 PM   #5  

Yes, I experienced this, too. I wasn't working out, was around 280 and my cycles would come only every 4 months and be shorter. Now I'm much more active, even if I'm not dieting it comes every 28 days and is longer.
lexiesark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #6  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Oooh boy, the joys of being a woman. First off, I have been overweight since childhood. My cycle was like clockwork for years, every 28 days, textbook style, not on BCP or anything. But when I started dieting and trying to lose weight, that's when my periods went out of whack. I lost almost 20 lbs, then ballooned back up 40....I didn't have a period for almost 3 mos, and we were trying to get pregnant, but the tests just kept coming back negative. Then I fell and injured myself, that's when my period came back. It went on and on for 2 mos, I finally got myself to the doctor who put me back on BCP. It took 2 full cycles of pills to really get it under control. I had to have a pelvic ultrasound, a sonohistogram and a biopsy to really make sure nothing else was wrong other than hormones gone crazy. The doc says it all has to do with your fat stores and your estrogen production. My options were to get back on BCP or to "just let it run it's course"--well, I wasn't thrilled with having a 3-4 month period, yuck! I would go to the doc just to get some peace of mind. Good luck.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

wait a minute, you've been on your period for 6 weeks??? I think you should see a doctor, I'm not sure this is normal. Don't delay because this could be something serious.
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #8  

oh, yes, I mis-read that too. that could be serious, worth having a doctor check you out.

Good luck!
lexiesark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 286/263/125

I considered that, but two things stopped me: first, I'm not anemic and the period (I'm almost to 8 weeks now, gross) is basically normal...no unusual signs or symptoms. I feel fine, except I'm allergic to my pads. Second, I don't have insurance. Sooo...yeah. My mom's a nurse, and she says it's not unusual, or at least she isn't concerned. It's mostly just absolutely irritating as ****.

Thanks everyone for commenting
corayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:36 AM   #10  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

From what my doc told me, she said once your body gets used to your new routine (diet and exercise), your hormones would eventually get back to a more normal cycle, which may take another few months. If you don't go the medication (BCP) route, you will just have to let the period run it's course.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote