General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 06:13 PM   #1  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

Question Silly Question

When you're measuring your waist, do you measure where your waist is the smallest, or just above your belly button, or at your belly button? Because obviously where my waist is smallest isn't where I wear my pants... or where I carry most of my abdominal weight. May sound silly, but I'd really like to know - thanks!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

For my own benefit, I measure at the smallest part. For some body composition calculators the instructions tell you where to measure, like at the umbilicus.
If you are keeping records for your own historical calculations, just make sure to always measure in the same place.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #3  
Slow and Steady

Does anyone know where to measure the waist to calculate waist/hip ratio?
Old 03-29-2006, 07:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I believe for waist/hip it's at the smallest part. I always specify when I answer such as right now there's a thread on the support forum asking measurements so I gave both.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:40 PM   #5  
I restore Teeth.

most people go by the "natural waist" which would be the smallest diameter. The hip is usually measured where the largest diameter is (right between the pelvis and thighs, for most people?)
Old 03-29-2006, 08:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Yup, if you're going for the waist/hip ratio you measure the smallest part of your waist and the largest part of your hips. Same for when you're figuring your your proportions, but unfortunately clothes don't have the same opinion as nature as to where your waist is. I like how on OldNavy.com it actually shows you where to measure for pant sizes!
Closed Thread