General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 04:44 PM   #1  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Default food allergy

Hey chickies!
I had almonds the other day and my chest and throat felt tight-- I could still easily breathe, but I had to concentrate to breathe deep. I also got a headache. The same thing happened later that night when I had peanut butter. I'm going for an allergy test tomorrow to see what's up, so will you guys think good thoughts for me? My mom is prone to anxiety attacks, and I'm kind of hoping that's what happening to me. I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and am lactose intolerant, so soy products are how I get a lot of my dairy and protein. I don't want to give it up!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default Me too-

What did your test say? I'm curious.

I did my allergy test today also, and get this-I'm not allergic to anything! I don't have an IgE reaction to anything so I've been diagnosed with VMR vasomotor rhinitis, a type of nonallergic rhinitis. Basically it's not an allergy, but all the allergens trigger it. I was given flonase, astelin and a saline nasal rinse kit.

I've been having nasal allergy symptoms, and basically having other allergy like symptoms for the last few months. With all the talk about food allergies I decided to check it out myself.

But I know that there are some foods that when I eat I feel not so good. I asked about the IgG test that someone else mentioned on a different thread, but my doctor said they didn't do it and that IgE was an adequate indicator of allergic reactions.

I know that when I eat too much bread/yeast type foods I feel tired and sluggish, melon gives me an itchy tongue, something I'm eating gives me hives. The doctor did say that my food problems were non-allergic reactions to food, that they don't cause an IgE reaction. I was in a hurry to get back to work and didn't feel like asking questions.

Has anyone else had this happen? You suspect you have a food allergy but don't really?

Be careful if you are thinking of doing an allergy test to see if there are hidden food allergies interfering with weightloss. I just spent $265 for them to say no. (I had to pay the deductable first and co-pay.)

Sarah
Old 03-30-2006, 05:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/175/120

Hood - I think we must be long lost sisters. My mother has anxiety attacks, I have IBS, and milk doesn't do my body good.

I had allergy testing done when I was 15 and I swear that list was a mile long. I get that itchy, filmy, feeling in my mouth when I eat almonds, but that's okay because they aren't my favorite.

Let us know what your doctor says.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:59 PM   #4  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

I did it today--Everything was fine, but I'm not supposed to have peanuts or almonds for three weeks. Then I come back for more tests just to be sure. I can still eat soybeans!!!!! I'm allergic to mesquite, which is weird, I thought. It also explains why I throw up everytime I eat my dad's smoked meat that me cooks in his smoker, Lol! My back and my arms have over 100 pin pricks on them. I look like a crack head!!!
Closed Thread