Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-29-2006, 09:34 AM   #1  

Default I want to lose weight for an event

I want to lose as much weight as possible in time for a big event that is scheduled to take place on May 4. Does anyone have any ideas for getting in the best shape possible as soon as possible? That's barely a month a way.

Right now, I am stalled on a plateau. I would do Katahn's rotation diet, but I'm breastfeeding and don't want to hurt my milk supply. What else can I do besides crash diet to enhance my results?

I'm doing WW points right now.
lulu777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:07 PM   #2  

I think it is wonderful that you are still breastfeeding! Keep that up as long as you can...it is wonderful for both you and your baby!

I would suggest getting in more excersise and eating less calories. I would NOT suggest a crash diet but perhaps trying to *zig-zag* your calories which seems to help people (including me) lose weight faster because your body is constantly guessing and won't go into starvation mode.

In case you are not familiar with zig zagging, it is basically targeting your calories to have an average per week. For instance, if your average is say 1500 calories a day, you would eat (just rough numbers for an example)

...and so on... so that your average for the week is 1500 a day. I kow you are doing ww points, so you could modify for points instead of calories.

While you are doing this, some things that keep your milk supply good and healthy are oatmeal, green leafy vegetables (think spinach and romaine) and mother's milk tea -- which doesn't taste too wonderful but is calorie free (or very, very low) but helps to maintain or boost milk supply. You can find it at health food stores.

You could even try one week of low calories (don't go under 1200 though!!) then one week of moderate, then low again, then moderate.... for only 4 short weeks your body shouldn't go into starvation mode. Whatever you do though, keep health in mind of course and don't do anything drastic!

Set a small goal, don't expect to lose like, 20 lbs in the next 4 weeks lol... aim for just say, having your snug jeans fit more comfortable or something like that -- that is totally doable!

Congrats on the weight you have already lost and keep plugging away, you'll get there!
So_much_to_lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198 (HW) 183 (SW) / 180 / 150

The Firm dvd series promises results in just 10 work-outs. I started it last week and did 3 of them, and took photos ... I could actually SEE a difference between the week. They are intense but if you want results they are worth it OH and I just rented them from my library for FREE, used a step stool I had at the house and weights I already owned, although you could use canned foods if you don't have them.
Sassy8877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:48 PM   #4  

Which "the firm" DVDs did you get? I'm gonna do it! I have free weights (dumbbells from when I used to be in shape) and a step. So give me a title and I'm all over it.

Thanks for encouraging bf'ing. It's important for babies and mamas. I'm going to try that zigzag thing. I think the WW points thing has a Wendie plan there that is similar.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198 (HW) 183 (SW) / 180 / 150

I liked The Firm - Body Sculpt ... it had it all except a really good ab section, so then I also checked out The Firm - Ab Sculpt
Sassy8877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Oh, please don't crash diet! You may lose weight for the event, but might screw yourself up in the long run! Many people gain the weight back and more after they crash diet! Better, I think, to do something that gets you started on a healthy path for life!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:31 PM   #7  

I can't crash diet, it wrecks my milk supply. But I can exercise and stay on program or flex the calories...
Old 03-29-2006, 05:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Sorry, I misunderstood! Sounds like a plan!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

in addition to the above... try to eat very clean-- avoid excess salt, refined carbs, caffeine and processed foods.
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Ummm.....dieting mothers who are breastfeeding are NOT supposed to go below 1800 calories a day!!!! Breastfeeding (because your body is working to make a huge food supply for another person-averaging about a quart of milk a day!) burns about 500 calories a day alone-so this means that if you are eating 1800 calories a day, then YOU are actually getting 1300 calories a day...the milk factory is burning the other 500 and giving it to the baby.

If you did the Wendy plan or zig zagged at some of the calorie levels recommended-then for instance, on a 1300 calorie day you would only be getting 800 calories!!! This will affect both YOU and your milk supply. Breastfeeding mothers simply cannot use the same calorie guidelines as the rest of us. I know...I have BFed two children, and I am working on my third.

My suggestion is to eat 1800 calories a day-the lowest you can go right now-and to watch WHAT you are eating. Meaning-lean protein, veggies, fruit, whole grains...and to exercise every day.

I understand the need to want to look great at an event (I am going to look like a big lavendar Easter egg in June as a pregnant bridesmaid!!!) but it is really hard on a one month time limit-especially when pregnancy and breastfeeding are involved.

You can definitely lose 4-10 pounds by then doing 1800 calories a day, and doing some sort of exercise every day-but in a month, there is only so much you can do and stay HEALTHY, especially now.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:25 AM   #11  

I should have explained: I am bf'ing a two year old! So even though I want to proect my milk supply, I am not too worried about it. She'll Be OK if my milk gets a bit low. :-)
Old 03-30-2006, 08:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Yes, you should have mentioned that. Congrats on extended nursing-one of my best friends nursed until her daughter was 2, and they are SOOOO close-and her girl is as healthy as a horse!

You would be fine going down to 1300-1400 a day then if you want to.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote