Old 03-27-2006, 05:00 PM   #1  

Default First Timer here!

This is my first post here, though I've lerked for quite some time. I gave up my 12 can-a-day Dr Pepper habit 5 months ago, but I really haven't seen the change in my body that I expected.

I've made a commitment to lose my excess weight before it begins to affect my health. I really think your group here can help me with that.

I'm 33 and currently weigh 225. I've got lots of hurdles, but my biggest two are 1) I've not found an activity that I enjoy, and 2) I bake and decorate cookies and cakes as a hobby.

I look forward to visiting with you all soon!

Kimbie
kimbiemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #2  
Losin' it forever!

Welcome, Kimbie!

You'll find lots of support and great advice here! I definately have! Look around, ask questions...folks here are more than willing to talk!

As for enjoyable activities...other than knitting and internet surfing, I don't have one I enjoy either. What I try to do, is take ones I can tolerate and try to make them enjoyable. I just plain hate to work out, other than house cleaning, but have been hitting the gym a few times a week to walk. I take my ipod with me, make sure I have plenty of music and podcasts loaded, and hit the treadmill. I also enjoy people watching at the gym, and I always like to see what workouts others are doing.

Can't help ya much with the cake and cookie baking! That would be too much of a temptation for me! But, I think anyone can lose weight as long as their mind and their hearts are in it!

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Oh and PS...I know my siggy doesn't make it look like I'm a very good dieter, but I just started and just ordered my scale. It should be arriving in about a week!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:53 PM   #3  
1 day at a time

S/C/G: HW300/283/241/160

Welcome to the board Kimbie just post and ask questions join in on the challenges that is on the board that will also help you to push yourself a bit. Wishing you all the best in your weight lost journey
Lesa25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #4  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! I don't really enjoy exercise either, but there is no denying how good you feel afterwards. That's my motivation. It's like a drug. 30 minutes can make the rest of your day!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Welcome Kim,

I never used to enjoy exercise. I'm like it now for some reason. I'm 274lbs and started in November. I enjoy the Walk Away the Pounds, Pilates, Yoga, TaeBoe and now an Elliptical. It took a little while but now i love to workout and I used to make fun of the runners I would see, 'they are crazy' now I wish I could run.

I bake as a hobby too! Especially for the three men in my life my hubby and two boys. They love my cooking. It's a hard habit to break. I've made sure I switched to whole wheat for baking, splenda for sugar, although I'm having doubts about Splenda after hearing bad things about it. I also substitute applesauce and pumpkin puree for eggs, butter or oil. I do less baking now as well unless I can modify the recipe somehow. I still bake chocolate chip cookies and they are my down fall. I baked this weekend and they went quickly. Probably one of the reasons I'm back up to 274.

You'll find lot's of ideas, inspiration and info here. Welcome again.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:20 PM   #6  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Kimbie! Make yourself right at home!

I'm probably going to be flogged for this next statement, but (shhhhh) I still don't like exercise. I started up (yet again) in earnest in mid-February and all the while I'm doing it, I'm thinking, "There are soooo many things I'd rather be doing right now!" But I'm exercising because I *should* be exercising. Like laundry, it just needs to be done.

I just think someone needs to speak up for those who really *don't* love exercise and don't feel grrrrrreat after!

((climbs down off her ))

Anyway... glad you're here and I really do hope you end up loving exercise! I'm sure it makes it much easier!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hey, I used to eat cookies and cakes as a hobby!

I don't feel great after exercise either (still waiting for those endorphins to kick in!), Less of Lena, but I do love what it does for my body.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:08 AM   #8  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Kimbie!!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:50 AM   #9  
Downsizing Dee!

Welcome to the group!

I don't know how much advice I can give on the exercise since I still hate it too. I find it much easier now and my endurance has increased 10 fold. I just stick with it and I hope someday I'll get the exercise "click". Jump right in anywhere!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:57 AM   #10  

It is so nice to meet you all. I will definitely be spending time here and becoming involved in other threads. I'll keep you updated on how the exercise thing goes. Here is the interesting thing...I used to be an exercise fanatic. I swam competitively and was on drill team in high school. I sure wish I could find that self again!!!
kimbiemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:00 AM   #11  
One pound at a time...

Kimbie to the forum. I think the "trick" to excercising is to find the one that you love. It took me several tries (step classes, pilates, yoga, etc.,). I needed to find something that would suit my personality. Once I did, I found that I love to do it.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:58 AM   #12  
Aleecia

Welcome Kimbie
I'm Leec. I'm also 33 and weigh 225. You'll love it here.
Like many already said I would try out different actiivites until you find one that you enjoy or at least can tolerate.

Good Luck to you!

Leec
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #13  
On Day at a Time

S/C/G: 293/293/165

Height: 6'

Hey Kimbie! From one newbie to another !!!!
sarahdafiregal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:10 PM   #14  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Welcome to the group Kimbie.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:39 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Kimbie...first off WELCOME! When I began my lifestyle change, I didn't incorporate exercise....I just wanted to see that weight off QUICKLY, so I added it into the mix about a month later, and it's worked great! Just find something you'd like to do. For me, that's cardio dance. Browse everything there is to offer. Luckily, there's so many selections out there, and you'll get used to it, and even ENJOY it eventually....hopefully! Although, there's definately days where I just DONT wanna do it, and I do it anyhow. As for your hobby...if you can avoid that temptation, you are awesome...but if not, I'd say it's time to take up a new hobby!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote