Old 03-26-2006, 03:42 PM   #1  

Default Started today

My frist day is going good so far . Only 6 carbs with out counting dinner yet.( almost done with water.)
I'm on fitday to help count the carbs and I think that will help a lot.
My DD wants to do Atkins to she's 13 so I told her she could try ,but I want to make sure she eats right . Then my 12year old wanted to do it too and I think she got mad when I told her no . What do you girls think is Atkins Ok for kids?

B- 2 eggs , bacon
L - 2 cups salad with chesse, bacon and mayo
D steak and green beans ( thats what I have planed )
plb@m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:23 PM   #2  
It's my perogative!

S/C/G: 249/247/180

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to the group. I wish you the best of luck. I dont see why it would be a huge issue for your kids, I mean it is a lifestyle, not a diet. Dont present it to them as a diet, just do it as hey this is what we are having for breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. I hope that made sense.
ilovemike4alwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:39 PM   #3  
TemporaryFatChick

Congratulations on day 1! Be sure not to skimp on your carbs, your body does need them, and that's where your fiber comes from Speaking of which, you are taking a fiber suppliment and a multi-vitamin, yes?

As for the kids, I don't see why they shouldn't do it. If their weight is within normal range I'd add more healthy carbs for them, things like whole grains, carby veggies and some fruit. Atkins is essentially a healthy way to eat, and Lord knows it wouldn't hurt to cut out processed foods and other junk. Look at the maintenance phase for what to eat if you're at a healthy weight. It will be easier all around if you don't have to cook two seperate meals, and be a nice bonding\team effort thing with the girls, so I say let them go for it

Good luck to you, and welcome!

Tenn
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:42 PM   #4  
Going to ONEderland

I think Atkins is ok for kids, but they aren't likely to do it completely. They'll be tempted to eat sweets that aren't on plan. That is ok. Just feel them mostly low carb foods and it will still benefit them.

I put my son on it for a week. He lost 5 pounds or so. He could use to lose a little weight so it wasn't bad for him. He didn't need to lose a lot more than that so he didn't stay on it past the week. My daughter has asthma, and I wanted her to try it for a week to see if it would help her asthma. It did, but she also lost 5 pounds. My daughter is a skinny little thing and so doesn't need to lose any weight.

Mostly I feed the kids what I eat. When I cook our meals they are all low carb. I buy other things for the kids for lunches that aren't as low carb, but I aim to get them to eat healthy any way, so I buy whole grain breads for their sandwiches. I allow them some treats, but try not to make them excessive.

Low carb is healthy eating. Green veggys, salads, meats, dairy. What is unhealthy about that? Children could use a little more fruit than the rest of us, and you must be careful about their electrolyte balance. Low carb can lower potassium levels at the beginning of the diet, so as long as they get potassium, and plenty of water it won't hurt them. You might also allow them more milk than you would be consuming. But a "modified" Atkins isn't at all bad for children.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:34 AM   #5  

Tennessee- I do to find a new multivitamin . Kind of scared of the fiber suppliment right now because of the #2 thing I had the first day hopefuly that will stop in the next couple of days.

DD really wanted to do this she started to day. ( she is overweight ) I'm going to try her on induction for 2 weeks then add fruit and milk and see how she does .

On to day 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
plb@m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #6  
TemporaryFatChick

Quote:
Tennessee- I do to find a new multivitamin . Kind of scared of the fiber suppliment right now because of the #2 thing I had the first day hopefuly that will stop in the next couple of days.
A fiber suppliment like psyllium caps or powder won't having you running to the bathroom constantly. It will provide the bulk you'll need after limiting your carbs so you don't end up with clogged plumbing .
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #7  
Baby Steps

they've all given you excellent advice..so I'll just add
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote