Old 03-25-2006, 06:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/247/160-170

Height: 5'7

Unhappy New to the site!! Please read

Hi I just wanted to add that I am new to this site and are really enjoying it. You all seem so nice and supportive (that's what I need). I know what you are talking about. I wish that I could eat like my husband. He doesn't eat much and even when he is hungry, I still out eat him!!! I am wanting to change my lifestyle and just can't get motivated enough. I have 100 pounds to lose (I have never really admitted it before to anyone and are quite embarassed) and I am hoping to that I can stick to it. If there is any advice that you all can give I would love to hear it. I see and hear all of you guys and it does motivate me. I just can't imagine myself 100 pounds less.

A question that I have is (not trying to be rude), after losing all of the weight I am scared that my skin is just going to hang there since it has been stretched out so much. Sorry if that is too much info. I have had two children and are now badly overweight, I was just wondering what happens to the skin?
MrsKeltsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:28 PM   #2  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

Hi! It's a fact of life, unfortunately, that losing 100 lbs will give you some saggy skin. But even before you think of what you will look like before you lose the 100 lbs, think of all the benefits you will reap - good health, more limber, and best of all... a new wardrobe!

I used to be about 265 in 2000, and I have to say after losing about 109 lbs my only 'saggy' skin is my tummy. I can certainly live with that 'small' problem when I have so many other blessings that came from losing that much weight.

You can be your own best cheerleader. Learn as much as you can about losing weight and doing it the right way - keeping or maintaining your health. If your children are young, just think of how much strength and health you will need to have to keep up with them.

I just wanted to a bit of encouragement - best of luck with your weight loss!

Kitty
chaoskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #3  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi and welcome!

I share your concern about flabby skin... But the benefits of being thin are so much greater. I'm trying to do all I can to prevent flabby skin... Water, daily vitamin, and a good skin firming lotion. I have one called Skin Energizer but when that's done I'm trying one by Nivea. Good luck!!!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

As Kitty mentioned, there are so many positives to losing 100 lbs. that, IMHO, they outweigh the saggy skin issue. I've lost slowly and I'm not sure if that's what's helping my skin or if it's just genetics or exercise, but even at age 52, I don't have much saggy skin after losing the majority of weight.

I encourage you to start your journey now and don't wait. Don't worry about how long it takes, but start making those small changes like drinking more water, walking up stairs instead of the elevator, and eating smaller portions. I guarantee you'll start feeling so much better!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:00 PM   #5  

Thank you all for replying. THe saggy skin isn't discouraging me from losing weight, I was just curious as to what some people have experianced. I am going to start my journey slowly and look at the long run and not give up this time. The one thing that I have to get out of my mind is being so impatient. I know it will take awhile and I will be proud of myself in the end. I just have to get motivated and stick through it. Thank you guys for replying and I hope to see you guys around the site.

Lindsay
Old 03-25-2006, 09:09 PM   #6  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

to you, MrsK!

If you find thinking about 100 pounds to be overwhelming, split it up into smaller amounts of, say, 10 pounds, and go for them one at a time.

As far as saggy skin, I have some on the backs of my upper arms and on my tummy, and I suspect I'll have more after dropping another 40 pounds. I already had stretch marks there before I started losing weight, so I was prepared. My skin simply doesn't have the youthful elasticity it once did. It doesn't bother me in the least because it's far preferable than when it was filled out with masses of fat. Besides, my hubby thinks it's cute!
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Here's a great thread in the maintainer's forum about saggy skin and weight loss. It's an eye opener and a little depressing for those older with a lot to lose, but personally, I am glad to know what's likely to be ahead for me.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Lindsay, I know exactly what you mean. Saggy skin worries me, too...and I have more than 100 pounds to lose...well, technically, I have 100 left, as I've lost 50, but whatever. Anyhow, I was never able to "admit" to how much I weigh, and honestly, because of everyone here, I don't CARE! Amazing, huh? A year ago, I would have never told ANYONE (except my b/f) how much I weigh...and now...I don't care!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #9  

You are right DishyFishy, I have to look at it in smaller amounts. Trying to get on board with even just trying to lose weight overwhelms me. I should go by 10 pounds and then another 10 pounds. I am from Canada as well I am embarassed to talk about what I weigh and to say how it actually makes me feel and how close I have been to making bad choices about how I was going to lose the weight, how I feel after I eat and how it haunts be to know how overweight I am. Here it is easier and I am glad I found this place.

Thanks everyone,
Lindsay
Old 03-26-2006, 11:28 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have to say that I became kind of depressed after losing 75 lbs because of the loose skin feeling. I would bend over and feel my stomach kind of fold over because what use to fill it was no longer filling it. It was kind of a gross feeling. I notice areas of looseness in the mirror and I still have a long way to go. It doesn't bother me though because I do know it is a reality. I also realize that plastic surgery is an option when I get down to the weight I want to be at. Not that I ever expect to have a perfect body but at least I know that I can get a pretty decent one.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:57 PM   #11  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Welcome to the group. I have lots of skin but I also feel so much better. The thing that I think of when I see the skin is when I was heavier I had lots of rolls so it's really not any different except now I look a heck of a lot better in my clothes and I feel 100 times better. So the skin is a much better trade off.

Good luck with your journey and I look forward to seeing you around.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:03 AM   #12  
Downsizing Dee!

Hi Lindsay,
Welcome to the group! I shared your fears about loose skin as well when I started this journey. I'm fairly young, never had children, haven't been overweight for most of my life so I thought I'd be ok in the skin department. Turns out I'm not one of the lucky ones. I have roughly 30 pounds to go and I'm noticing more and more "empty" skin on my tummy, upper arms and thighs and lots of wrinkles in my face where it's not puffed up with fat any more. Even though I'm going to have this proplem forever, unless I plan on walking around without clothing on, clothes hide it quite nicely and no one can tell except me and hubby - and he doesn't care one bit about it. Wyllenn posted a great link to a very detailed discussion on this topic, make sure you give it a read. I didn't mean to scare you with my experience, just wanted to share with you. Great to have you here.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:26 AM   #13  
One pound at a time...

Lindsay to the forum! Everyone has convered the topic already very well so I do not have too much more to add. Post often so we can get to know you!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:48 AM   #14  
Aleecia

Hi Lindsay and Welcome.
You'll love it here.
I think you have a geniune concern about the extra skin. That was a big fear of mine but I try not to think about it much. I figure I will deal with that when the time comes. I look forward to the other benefits that go with losing weight.

Leec
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #15  
Not giving up!!

S/C/G: 323/200/175

Height: 5'8

Hello and Welcome! Don;t worry about the skin the weight loss is so much better! Good Luck to you!
~~Sunshine~~ is offline   Reply With Quote