Old 03-21-2006, 11:15 AM   #1  
Aleecia

Default Can today get any worse?

Generally I'm not one to rant and rave or ***** and moan about things but today is turning out to be one of those days. Its been 5 weeks now and I have done really well so far however for some reason today is just different.
In the last few weeks if I felt myself getting a little down it helped to come here and read some of the posts.

I initially thought it was a case of got up on the wrong side of the bed, but things have been going down high all morning.
First of all I have had a cold since Saturday, but I still managed to drag myself out of bed at 5am to work out. Today it was extremly hard. My 2 year old then got up earlier than usual and she's sick too. We landed up arguing on the way to daycare because of the shoes she had on. UGH. I can't wait until she's fifteen. After dropping her off there was a big truck that was behind me almost the whole way to work that almost hit me three different times. As if I needed anymore stress. Just wait it gets better. Once I finally got to work I find out that my coworker has missed his deadline for a presentation that we have to review later this week.

All this happened in the first 3 hours of my day. I sat back and said okay I can get past this. Take a deep breather and we'll figure it out. So I chalked it up to having a bad morning and felt I could move on with my day.

Well this is the real kicker. First of all we started a weight loss challenge here at work on March 1. There's about 13 of us doing it. I have by far the most weight to loss and I was okay with that. Most of my coworkers want to loss between 10 and 20 pounds. With that being said some of us were standing around chatting about the whole challenge and a few we're saying "I'm gonna win I only have 10 pounds to loss". I kinda blew it off, until one of the girls looked at me and said "Have you even lost any weight yet?" I was absolutely speechless. Part of me was mad, part of me was sad but I think most of all I was embarassed. I felt as if everyone was then starring at me and waiting for an answer. I swallowed hard and then very softly said, "Actually I have lost 13 pounds so far". No one said a word.
I walked away and felt completely crushed. All I can think now is why am I even bothering. I have tried so hard in the past 5 weeks to maintain a positive attitude and stay motivated. Its amazing how it only takes one person to say something hurtful to make you feel like you want to give up.

Sorry to go on and on. And maybe I'm making something out of nothing. I'm trying real hard to stay focused and not go and get a big fat cheeseburger, fries and a Coke.

Thanks for listening. Hopefully my day will get better.

Leec
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:29 AM   #2  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Oh Leec ~ I'm sorry you are having such a difficult day. Please don't give up ~ 13 pounds is awesome. You are doing great ~ don't let those others bring you down. I know from experience that if you give in to that cheese burger, you might feel better for a few minutes, but then you will feel worse, because you let that burger win. Hang in there!!
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 AM   #3  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Angry What a Cruel Comment!

Hi, You should be VERY VERY proud of the weight you have lost. 13 pounds is nothing to sneeze at!! That other person was just being cruel and I can't say it on this forum but you know the five letter word. If this group is not supportive for you - don't be a part of it. We all need helpful, supportive people cheering us on.

Sorry about the rest of your day. I laughed over your statement about wishing your daughter was 15!! I have 2 daughters (22 and 24 now) and believe me, at two they were musch easier than at 15. All kidding aside, we have all had those mornings. Try and give yourself some "time out" to relax and give yourself some positve feedback. You desrve it.

Lyn
lynard21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:35 AM   #4  
Downsizing Dee!

Leec, sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it today. I completely agee with what's been said - 13 pounds is awesome. In five weeks you've lost 13 pounds, that's fantastic!!! I hope things start looking better for you this afternoon! You're doing terrific!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:37 PM   #5  
DNR
Determined Woman

People who make comments like that make me want to prove them totally wrong, so use it as a positive thing to lose more and then at some point, maybe you'll find the time and place to throw it back in her face. Don't be hard on yourself over it - make something positive out of it.

As far as waiting until your 2 year-old is 15, just a little side comment . . . your arguments will be much worse then, over much worse things that what shoes she is wearing. I've been there, done that.

Hang in there - I hope your day gets better.
DNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:38 PM   #6  
One pound at a time...

Leec, sorry to hear about the bad day, and the comment did not help matters at all. Some people just really do not get it. Do NOT beat yourself up over the comment. I think if each incident had happened on different days you would have been able to manage each one, however...life ain't like that, unfortuately. You have lost 13 lbs! You are making a permanent change with your lifestyle. Ignore whether or not you win or lose the competition. Personally that is the main reason I have never gone in on weight loss competitions at work. For me, it sends the wrong message. I would rather make a long term change slowly and have long lasting effects than a short term change that will not make a difference. Keep at girl!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:26 PM   #7  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I think it is amazing that you have lost 13 lbs and to heck with your co-worker who apparently has no brain or feelings. I know it is rough when you lose a significant amount of weight and no one notices but on others the same amount is really noticeable. I know myself I probably will have to lose at least 30 lbs before anyone can see a difference but boy am I ever looking forward to that day! Keep your focus on you and forget the comments of your co-worker who I hope has come up to you by now with an apology!

Also I know all about fighting with a toddler. My little boy is 4 and it is just amazing the fights we get into about the stupidest stuff and then he goes off to daycare and has a great day and I"m fuming for at least 2 hours!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #8  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

You said "why am I even bothering". I know why. You are doing this so you can feel better, be healthy, look better and most important so you can be around longer for your family. Your not doing it to please anyone else so don't listen to anything they have to say that is negative. And please don't medicate with food. I have had the same feelings a lot of times. Sometimes I even gave in to those feelings and ate. You know what I felt 20 times worse after I ate. It might be good at the time but the end results are a horrible feeling. So just chalk it up to people are going to be insensitive and know that what you are doing is way to important to let some stupid comment get in the way.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #9  
Aleecia

Thanks so much everyone for your encouraging words. I am happy to report that my afternoon has been pretty uneventful.
I didn't give into the cheeseburger and fries. Instead I enjoyed a healthy lunch at my desk.
I am so glad I found this site. It is so nice to talk with people that can relate to the things that you're going through. I really appreciate the pick me up!
I know I can do this for me and I won't give up.

Thanks again.

Leec

P.S. The comment about my daughter was totally sarcastic. Our personalities are so similar its scary. What I meant is if we are arguing about the little things now its going to be 10X worse when she's a teenager. I'll deal with that when the time comes.
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #10  
embrace change

S/C/G: 268/257/120

STOP!!! DONT DO IT! Swoops in and shakes the thought of fast food from her mind. YOU JUST LOST 13 AMAZING LBS, GO LIFT A BOWLING BALL GIRL that is how much you just dropped!

i had to post laughing partly at picturing you and your cute lil 2 yr old , wishing for her to be 15, uh NO you dont lol, the tude grows the cuteness fades, they get skimpy clothing and major mouthage. haha , my daughter is 15 and she walked out on this cold march spring morning in flip flops, 30 degrees out in dang flip flops, talk about wanting to argue over shoes?!

the day is gonna be just one of those day, and yeah it sucks to be sick sometimes but so sip on some hot tea, maybe allow yourself one indulgent treat too soothe your cold and your feeling down but so make it a half healthy reward like 2 dark chocolate covered strawberries, then you wont really feel bad about those. antioxidants galore in both. limit 2 lol plz.

hang in there the day is near over and i hope it gets better, although i cant promise it wont get worse, but i will say a lil prayer for you it wont. take a nice hot bath tonite with candles and lock the door. worse comes to worse, forgive yourself in the morning. hugsssssss

lea
leandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #11  
Losin' it forever!

leec,

Do not let toxic people get you down! 13 pounds is amazing and I aspire to my first loss of that much! Ya know, if *****y water cooler girl wins, walk right up to her in all sincerity and congratulate her. Not that I know you, but I have a feeling you can easily be the better person in this little scenario. What is probably happening with water cooler girl (not sure if you were chatting around a water cooler, but that is the picture that popped into my mind) is that because you have the higher mountain to climb, that brings her some comfort about her own weight and if that is what she needs to feel better about herself, than so be it. But don't you dare give in because someone lacks in the sensitivity department.

Now, go snarf down an apple and think of how much closer you are to your NEXT 13 pound loss!

Oh and PS...unfortunately with we bigger people, it takes others a bit longer to notice our weight loss, because we do have more to lose. What is WAY more important right now, is that you know you've lost weight. You're doing all the right things, so keep on doing them.
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #12  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Don't let that insensitive woman knock you off track, Leec. You're doing a great job.

It probably won't make you feel any better, but it took a loss of 40 pounds before anyone noticed in my case.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #13  

Leec......

You are doing awesome!!!!!!! Don't let anyone get you down. I had a snide comment muttered my way late last week(I'll explain in a seperate thread)....anyways....I'm using it to my advantage.....I've really got the "I'll show you attitude going". I guess though...realistically...I'm doing it for myself and myself only...but I must admit...it helps me to keep going. Anyways...you are doing so great and have accomplished so much already....don't let it get you down...You Rock!!
roundRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:55 PM   #14  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

You are doing a great job, don't let thoughtless coworkers get you down. You are a lot nicer than I am. I wouldn't have told them how much I'd lost, would've given a Mona Lisa smile & said, "You'll have to see in April just like everyone else!" Hope tomorrow goes better for you!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote