Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:48 AM   #1  

Default Thin4Life - Week of March 20/06

Good morning ladies.

I'm back to work and feeling better. The first think I want to say is that I was wrong about my ex. I don't believe he is seeing anyone else. I believe there is someone interested in him, but I can hardly fault him for that. Having said that, it doesn't change the course I'm on - to move ahead and build a new life for myself.

Last week was really good for getting myself back to running regularly. I was out four times for runs of 5, 7, 7 and 10.5 km. This week, I am committed to hill training on Wednesday (ugh) because I know it makes me stronger if I survive it.

As I posted last week, I made my St. Patty's Day goal of 154. Having said that, I did not eat well over the weekend. Haven't weighed myself but hope the damage isn't too bad. New goal is another 5 lbs by Good Friday - Apr. 14th. This is entirely within my grasp if I exercise reguarly and eat properly.

How is everyone?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:48 AM   #2  

Just a quick post to say Yeah Susan! You're doing awesome. I'll be back later.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Susan: Welcome back! Great job on running! I'm trying to work on getting more exercise. I know I always feel better when I do it. Congratulations on making your St. Patty's day goal! Don't worry about what went on over the weekend--just focus on today

Had a busy weekend and the week didn't start off too well. We had our big mailing go out and we had decided to send it to our mailing dept. to take care of--anyway to make a long story short, one tray got messed up and the letters and labels didn't match (ex: Lisa got Lala's letter). Thank goodness we were able to localize what ZIP code and so this morning I had to go through our master list and send out letters to those that could have been affected by the mix up. Geesh! In the end we sent out 200+ letters.

I have an appointment with my allergist this afternoon so I'll be leaving work early today. At least the sun is shining here today!

I'll post more tomorrow.

Hi to Lisa, Lala, Pam, Austingal and anyone else lurking!
Old 03-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #4  

Height: 6'0"

Gosh, I've been so busy, I haven't been able to visit here. Well, it's sort of quiet right now, so I thought I'd check in with you. The weekend was fun. DH and I golfed a little. I sang in an oratorio on Sunday that was really nice. Then I took DH to a nice fish dinner. I'm working on two proposals at work and they're keeping me too busy. On the food front, I seem to be good one day and bad the next. Today I got into the salted nuts again (love 'em). I'm already looking forward to the weekend (not a good sign).

Susan, thanks for starting us off this week. Yes, just move on; that's best at this point. Good for you on reaching your goal; you've done well. I also envy how far you can run. It has taken me a year to get up to 2 miles and I'm as slow as molasses. At least I'm doing it (I guess).

Pam, Hi!

Melissa, what a mess with the mailing. It means double work for everyone. I'm glad you have some sunshine.

Hello to lala, Austingal
Old 03-22-2006, 07:10 AM   #5  

Good morning. Sipping my coffee and savouring an egg on whole wheat english muffin. It's been a long time since last night's dinner. Bob Greene only has five directives when it comes to eating, and one of them is to stop eating 2-3 hours before bedtime. It certainly makes another rule - to eat a healthy, nutritional breakfast - easy to adhere to In case you're interested, the others are 6-8 glasses of water a day, eliminate alcohol and portion control (I'm guessing at this last one - it escapes me at the moment.)

I was out at a seminar yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was about building healthy, livable neighbourhoods, and how some govt policies place those who need help the most into some really unhealthy surroundings. Sigh - wish I didn't need to work for a paycheque. There is so much to be done to help people realize their full potential.

Melissa: I can appreciate the frustration of dealing with that mix-up, having been involved in a few myself. It's good that it didn't affect the entire distribution.

Lisa: Don't sell yourself short regarding running. I remember you saying that you would never be a runner, and here you are, doing it. As for speed, well, let's just say that I won't be taking home any medals in that area. But I do love to run - it keeps me sane (or as close to it as possible )

Where is everyone?
Old 03-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #6  

Susan, I guess I can't say that I love to run as you do (and DH says), but it is getting a little easier. I'm just a slogger, I guess.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:17 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Hi! Well the sun was short-lived--it's been cloudy and it makes me oh so tired! I went to the allergist and found that the sinus infection I had in February hadn't totally cleared up and that was why my nose was stuffy and most likely was the cause of my dizziness/lightheadedness at my strength class last week. I'm on another antibiotic to get things cleared up.

Lisa: I've been struggling with having a string of good days--I'll do good most of the day and then evening rolls around and I tend to graze. I had a few blank spaces in my journal this week and I'm working on keeping it up-to-date each day. I know I do better when I keep track.

Susan: Sounds like an interesting seminar. Your ability to run is an inspiration to me...I have always had trouble making exercise a priority, although since December my friend and I have been making it a point to go to the Wellness Center twice a week (1 day walking and the other our strength training class) and I actually look forward to it now.

I found a good quote on the WW website: "You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there" and I thought all of you would enjoy it.

I was down .8 at today's WI so I'm pleased with that since TOM is due next week. I'm slowly getting back to my comfort zone--4 more pounds to go!

Hi to Lala, Austingal, Pam and anyone else lurking out there.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:01 PM   #8  

Love the quote Melissa. Applies to many things in life.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #9  

Yep, love the quote.
Congrats, Melissa, on the loss. I need some of those good WI's.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:05 PM   #10  

Hi ladies,

All winter I didn't get one cold but now that's its spring I'm feeling a little congested. Someone recommended Airborne to me and I took it each time I felt a cold coming on and I never developed a full blown cold. Have to take some more tonight.
Work and home both continue to be busy. I had a really nice birthday "weekend". Even thought I went out to eat twice, I think I made good choices. So far this week I'm doing well and hope to stay the same when I weigh in tomorrow. I was looking at my calendar for next month and it is pretty much packed. I'll be out of the office the last half of the month due to Lauren's next surgery. So every meeting is crammed into the first 2 weeks.

Melissa I love the quote! Congrats on your loss, you're really doing well. Is it beginning to feel springlike in your area? Still kind of cold here.

Susan congrats on making your St Patty's day goal. The seminar you attended sounded very interesting. The city I work in, Springfield is experiencing many difficulties right now, too many corrupt politicians and now the city finds itself in receivership. The city can't pay policemen, teachers, firemen etc so many families are leaving. The people who can't leave, mostly minorities are left behind in dangerous neighborhoods with poor school systems. A very sad situation with no easy solution.

Lisa I feel like a weight loss slogger. Just can't seem to take off 5lbs!

Well ladies I should try and get some work done here. Just had a delicious bowl of pasta e fagioli for lunch, hope it holds me over until dinner. Talk to you all tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #11  

Pam, sorry about your cold. DH caught a cold last week and I was so scared that I would get it as I was singing in the oratorio. Well, thank God, I never got it, but I made him use his own glass in the bathroom and I washed my hands even more than normal. He used Airborne and it really helped him. He also used Zicam which is excellent for reducing cold symptoms. I'm like you, I can't lose this same old 5 lbs. It's all my fault, I'm not making wise choices.

I also have a busy April coming up. I'm going to Atlanta for a conference and later in the month I'm going to Orlando with DH for a little golf getaway.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #12  

Knock on wood, but I've managed to stay cold-free since the end of January. That's pretty good compared to last spring.

Congrats on the loss Melissa. You are getting back to your comfort zone just in time for summer.

I'm envious Lisa of your plans for April. So far, I have a visit from my Mom, niece and possibly brother and sister to look forward to. I keep looking at the sell-offs for Cuba and wondering how much extra I would have to pay as a single. I have to practice some restraint though because my condo corp is finally registered in the province, and that means I have to cough up some money to pay for it.

I have the money ready and waiting. That's the good news. The bad news is, that wipes me out for cash until I can build up the contingency fund again.

I don't think I mentioned that I joined a house exchange club and am trying to secure an exchange in either Ireland or England, possibly Scotland. I have several feelers out. Am trying to find something rural so that I can take my time learning to drive on the opposite side of the road Have had an offer from London, but big cities are not on my list, at least for this year. I expect I'll be going alone, so small town feels a lot less threatening.

Pam: The seminar dealt with the type of urban problems you describe. Nova Scotia doesn't have huge issues, but there are definitely issues, and if we don't do something now, we will face a similar plight down the road.

Am going to see a play tonight with friends - En Route is the name (I think). Lisa - do you know it? Tomorrow, may be able to talk some friends into helping me hang more pictures. Sunday morning, long run (13 km). Other than that, will try to get curtains hemmed and finish up a few loose ends at home.

What's shaking with everyone else?

Susan
Old 03-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #13  

Susan, I hear you on wiping out contingency. Our insurance rates have gone up so much down here because of hurricanes that any money we save goes toward that. The house exchange sounds interesting. I've always wondered about that and how that would work. Do you have to be bonded? What if someone came and messed up your home or what if they stole something (I don't know, just my security background creeping in). I would stay in a small town, too. It would be more relaxing. Let us know how that works out. Never heard of that play--let me know how you like it and what it's about.

DH and I have a timeshare, so we trade that out. It's in St. Maarten. We visited there last year, but this year, we traded it for North Carolina. I've always wanted to go to the mountains there, see the Biltmore, etc.

This weekend DH go to a play tonight (Annie Warbucks). Actually we are working the theater snack bar and in exchange we get tickets to the show. It's not a favorite of mine, so I'm not expecting much. On Saturday night, we're seeing the musical, Once Upon a Mattress. I had auditioned for this, but did not get picked; however a bunch of my friends are in it. I have a show tomorrow afternoon with my musical group. On Sunday, I'm going shopping at some outlet stores.

It's supposed to get chilly here! I can't believe it this late in the year. Tonight will be in the 40's!
Old 03-24-2006, 01:06 PM   #14  

Lisa: Re the home exchange - no bonding required. I have done four to date - Swiss Alps, British Columbia, Virginia and two years ago - Austria. All were great experiences. The possibility always exists that someone will damage your home, but I believe the risk to be minimal. Remember - you are in their home too, driving their car, etc. The most damage we experienced was a broken glass. To date, the criminal element doesn't appear to have infiltrated. I think the biggest issues are differences in housekeeping styles and when you think about it, it isn't a big price to pay in exchange for a place to stay, a vehicle, etc.

We've met some wonderful people this way - folks we're still in touch with to this day.

Susan
Closed Thread