General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 02:46 PM   #1  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Default No. (Smile) Thank you. I'm all set.

Lately I've been practicing how to pass up goodies presented to me without offending the person making the offer. In the old days, I would politely sample one (or more) of goodies passed around at parties or gatherings. If the offerer was someone I knew, I'd often sample things I don't even like, just so as to not hurt their feelings. I would even take samples offered at the supermarket if the lady was standing right there cooking it.

Guess you could call me a people-pleaser.

But all those tastes and samples add up. I really don't need to have them (even though, every now and then, it's a nice little treat).

So, I started practicing in the supermarket (another place to practice is in the mall, when you're accosted by the cell phone sellers on the kiosks). When offered a sample, I say politely but firmly, "No."

Not "No, thank you", just "No". Then I immediately smile and say "Thank you, I'm all set", to soften it up. I'll often throw a follow-up "Thank you" and smile in there.

It's amazing how that little shift in emphasis makes such a big difference, at least to me.

Last night, I got to put it to a real test. I was at a meeting and there was the typical table laden with home baked goodies (brownies, cookies and cakes, oh my!). The table was manned by someone I know, so it wasn't a stranger. As I passed by, she smiled, waved her hand proudly over the display and said, "Ooooo help yourself to some goodies!!!"

Without even thinking, I said, "No. (smile) Thank you, I'm all set (smile)".

She didn't look offended and I honestly don't think she was! She just chirped, "Ok!"

It was so easy! And I felt so in control! Ahhhh much better!
Old 03-17-2006, 02:55 PM   #2  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

What a great idea! I often feel bad if I don't accept food offerings especially is they are home baked.

Thanks for sharing this. I will use it next time I am at Costo and walk past the free sample booths
Old 03-17-2006, 10:12 PM   #3  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

this is a hard one!!! This evening I went to a church supper, there were tons of people there and one of the members made me my own special cupcake with 'Happy Birthday Lacey' on it. I didn't know what to do, it was just the sweetest thing someone could've done for me, I just kept gushing on it all night and kept saying it was too pretty to eat so I brought it home and my 3 year old enjoyed it

It IS so hard to say no sometimes!!

Lacey
Closed Thread